RE: [SACC-L] Obama announces community college plan

  • Philip Stein
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2009
      Jo Rodgers and I organized a session at the last SACC meeting in Tucson. It consisted of 7 papers and a lot of discussion. However, there is no record of the discussion that I know of.

      Phil

      From: "Kaupp, Ann" <kauppa@... <mailto:kauppa% 40si.edu> >
      To: "SACC ListServ" <SACC-L@yahoogroups. com
      <mailto:SACC- L%40yahoogroups. com> >; "Kaupp, Ann" <KAUPPA@...
      <mailto:KAUPPA% 40si.edu> >;
      "Autumn Cahoon" <akcahoon@msn. com <mailto:akcahoon% 40msn.com> >; "Becky
      Stein-Frankle"
      <rls@linkline. com <mailto:rls% 40linkline. com> >; "Deborah Shepherd"
      <deborah.shepherd@ anokaramsey. edu
      <mailto:deborah. shepherd% 40anokaramsey. edu> >;
      "George Rodgers" <grodgers@ohlone. edu <mailto:grodgers% 40ohlone. edu> >;
      "Laura Gonzalez"
      <lagonzal@sdccd. edu <mailto:lagonzal% 40sdccd.edu> >; "Laura Gonzalez"
      <LTGonzalez@cox. net <mailto:LTGonzalez% 40cox.net> >; "Lloyd Miller"
      <lloyd.miller@ mchsi.com <mailto:lloyd. miller%40mchsi. com> >; "Maren
      Wilson" <marenjanette@ aol.com <mailto:marenjanett e%40aol.com> >; "Mary
      Kay
      Gilliland" <mkgilliland@ pima.edu <mailto:mkgilliland %40pima.edu> >;
      "Melvin Johnson" <majohns1@hotmail. com <mailto:majohns1% 40hotmail. com>
      >;
      "Patricia Hamlen" <hamlen@comcast. net <mailto:hamlen% 40comcast. net> >;
      "Patricia Hamlen"
      <phamlen@harpercolle ge.edu <mailto:phamlen% 40harpercollege. edu> >;
      "Rebecca Stein-Frankle" <steinrl@lavc. edu <mailto:steinrl% 40lavc.edu> >;

      "Rob Edwards" <redwards@cabrillo. edu <mailto:redwards% 40cabrillo. edu> >
      Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:15 AM
      Subject: [SACC-L] Obama announces community college plan

      > Obama Announces Community College Plan
      >
      > $12 Billion Will Fund New Web Courses, Construction and Innovation
      > Grants
      >
      > Log In Again?
      >
      > CLOSE <javascript: void(0);>
      >
      > We've made some updates to washingtonpost. com's Groups, MyPost and
      > comment pages. We need you to verify your MyPost ID by logging in
      before
      > you can post to the new pages. We apologize for the inconvenience.
      >

      > Top of Form
      >

      > Bottom of Form
      >
      > Discussion Policy <javascript: void(0);>
      >
      > Your browser's settings may be preventing you from commenting on and
      > viewing comments about this item. See instructions for fixing the
      > problem.

      <javascript: void(window. open('http://www.washingt onpost.com/ wp-srv/admin

      /help/popup/ frame_pageIE6- COMMENTS. html','NewWin' ,'scrollbars, toolbar=fa

      lse,menubar= false,resizable= false,width= 740,height= 595,top=0, right=1000'

      <http://www.washingt onpost.com/ wp-srv/liveonlin e/delphi/ delphirules. htm>

      <http://www.sphere. com/search? q=sphereit: http://www. washingtonpost. com/w

      <http://projects. washingtonpost. com/staff/ articles/ michael+d. +shear+and+
> [...]
      from
      > a community college or go on to a four-year university. Currently,
      about
      > 1 million students graduate from community colleges each year.
      >
      > George Boggs, president of the American Association of Community
      > Colleges, said Obama's proposal would be the largest federal
      investment
      > in community college history.
      >
      > But he said the money cannot come soon enough to deal with the most
      > pressing problems: a lack of money, staff and classroom space to serve
      > students this fall. Many colleges have already mapped out their plans
      > for the fall semester.
      >

      > There is a question, too, of whether colleges will be permitted to use
      > the new federal funds for their most urgent needs in faculty and
      > teaching space.
      >
      > "It's going to be very focused money," Boggs said -- with the focus
      more
      > on building capacity in the system over the long term than plugging
      > holes in this year's budget.
      >
      > Surging enrollment and dwindling funds heading into the fall semester
      > are forcing Washington area community colleges to face the prospect of
      > turning students away.
      >
      > Montgomery College projects record enrollment exceeding 60,000 in
      fall,
      > a 5 percent increase, with a flat operating budget of $215 million.
      > Northern Virginia Community College has had its funding cut 10 percent
      > in two years but has seen enrollment spike 12 percent, with another 11
      > percent bump expected in fall.
      >
      > "We're just being swamped at the very moment that our capacity is
      being
      > called into question," said Bob Templin, the Northern Virginia
      college's
      > president, adding that Obama's proposed funds "changes the equation
      > substantially. "
      >
      > Templin said he will immediately begin leasing classroom space and
      > hiring faculty to one-year teaching contracts, spending $1 million to
      $2
      > million in anticipated federal money.
      >
      > Some critics of the president's economic proposals predict the cash
      > infusion will do little to spark the economic recovery that places
      like
      > Michigan are demanding.
      >
      > "More and more money has been pushed into higher education, both the
      > schools' and the students', for decades," said Neal McCluskey, an
      > education scholar at the Cato Institute in the District. "Most of what
      > that's translated into is waste. So you've seen tuitions skyrocket,
      > you've seen these building arms races on campus."
      >
      > McCluskey said community college training is a costly and ineffective
      > proxy for on-the-job training, which is what many high-growth careers
      > require.
      >
      > "Just looking at the statistics, the data, it seems that we don't want
      > to push more people into community colleges," he said.

      <mailto:kauppa% 40si.edu> >

      > http://www.nmnh. si.edu/anthro/ /outreach/ outrch1.html
      <http://www.nmnh. si.edu/anthro/ outreach/ outrch1.html>
      > <http://www.nmnh. si.edu/anthro/ outreach/ outrch1.html>

      > Find out more at our web page :http://webs. anokaramsey. edu/sacc/ Yahoo!

      > Groups Links

    • kent morris

        Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:15 AM

> [...]
        > million in anticipated federal money.
        >
        > Some critics of the president's economic proposals predict the cash
        > infusion will do little to spark the economic recovery that places
        like
        > Michigan are demanding.
        >
        > "More and more money has been pushed into higher education, both the
        > schools' and the students', for decades," said Neal McCluskey, an
        > education scholar at the Cato Institute in the District. "Most of what
        > that's translated into is waste. So you've seen tuitions skyrocket,
        > you've seen these building arms races on campus."
        >
        > McCluskey said community college training is a costly and ineffective
        > proxy for on-the-job training, which is what many high-growth careers
        > require.
        >
        > "Just looking at the statistics, the data, it seems that we don't want
        > to push more people into community colleges," he said.

        Groups Links