Re: [SACC-L] Obama announces community college plan

  • kent morris
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 15, 2009
      Ann--it seems that I recall DL classes being a topic at the last SACC
      conference--is that true? And if so, can I get access to any of the stuff
      that was talked about?
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 15, 2009
        Mary Kay and Maren, can you answer this? I don't recall and taking off
        and will return next Tuesday. Ann

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 16, 2009
          Jo Rodgers and I organized a session at the last SACC meeting in Tucson. It consisted of 7 papers and a lot of discussion. However, there is no record of the discussion that I know of.

          Phil

          Mary Kay and Maren, can you answer this? I don't recall and taking off
          and will return next Tuesday. Ann

          <mailto:deborah. shepherd% 40anokaramsey. edu> >;
          "George Rodgers" <grodgers@ohlone. edu <mailto:grodgers% 40ohlone. edu> >;
          "Laura Gonzalez"
          <lagonzal@sdccd. edu <mailto:lagonzal% 40sdccd.edu> >; "Laura Gonzalez"
          <LTGonzalez@cox. net <mailto:LTGonzalez% 40cox.net> >; "Lloyd Miller"
          <lloyd.miller@ mchsi.com <mailto:lloyd. miller%40mchsi. com> >; "Maren
          Wilson" <marenjanette@ aol.com <mailto:marenjanett e%40aol.com> >; "Mary
          Kay
          Gilliland" <mkgilliland@ pima.edu <mailto:mkgilliland %40pima.edu> >;
          "Melvin Johnson" <majohns1@hotmail. com <mailto:majohns1% 40hotmail. com>
          >;
          "Patricia Hamlen" <hamlen@comcast. net <mailto:hamlen% 40comcast. net> >;
          "Patricia Hamlen"
          <phamlen@harpercolle ge.edu <mailto:phamlen% 40harpercollege. edu> >;
          "Rebecca Stein-Frankle" <steinrl@lavc. edu <mailto:steinrl% 40lavc.edu> >;

          "Rob Edwards" <redwards@cabrillo. edu <mailto:redwards% 40cabrillo. edu> >
          Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:15 AM

> [...]
          > million in anticipated federal money.
          >
          > Some critics of the president's economic proposals predict the cash
          > infusion will do little to spark the economic recovery that places
          like
          > Michigan are demanding.
          >
          > "More and more money has been pushed into higher education, both the
          > schools' and the students', for decades," said Neal McCluskey, an
          > education scholar at the Cato Institute in the District. "Most of what
          > that's translated into is waste. So you've seen tuitions skyrocket,
          > you've seen these building arms races on campus."
          >
          > McCluskey said community college training is a costly and ineffective
          > proxy for on-the-job training, which is what many high-growth careers
          > require.
          >
          > "Just looking at the statistics, the data, it seems that we don't want
          > to push more people into community colleges," he said.

        • kent morris

            Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:15 AM

> [...]
            > million in anticipated federal money.
            >
            > Some critics of the president's economic proposals predict the cash
            > infusion will do little to spark the economic recovery that places
            like
            > Michigan are demanding.
            >
            > "More and more money has been pushed into higher education, both the
            > schools' and the students', for decades," said Neal McCluskey, an
            > education scholar at the Cato Institute in the District. "Most of what
            > that's translated into is waste. So you've seen tuitions skyrocket,
            > you've seen these building arms races on campus."
            >
            > McCluskey said community college training is a costly and ineffective
            > proxy for on-the-job training, which is what many high-growth careers
            > require.
            >
            > "Just looking at the statistics, the data, it seems that we don't want
            > to push more people into community colleges," he said.

            Groups Links