Fwd: [ANTHRO-L] ways of knowing

  • anthropmor@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2009
      From: Thomas Riley <thomas.riley@...>
      To: ANTHRO-L@...
      Sent: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 10:14 am
      Subject: Re: [ANTHRO-L] ways of knowing

      Martha?
      ?
      Lots of archaeologists use "witching wands." I don't, but I did a paper on their use in archaeology and geology and some experiments as well way back in the dark ages of 1978 or so. I did it with a class and they loved it. Really got into it. ?
      http://www.archive.org/stream/fieldmuseumofnat49chic?
      ?
      The article was called "the archaeologist as witch" and appeared in the Field Museum Bulletin June 1978 Vol 49, No. 6: 6-11. ?
      Basically, I argued that the user got subliminal cues that he or she (usually he, according to folk wisdom) couldn't put into words, and that the wands served as a "non-verbal statement" of these cues that couldn't be explained in other ways. This is what those Dakine, I ( mean locals, sorry!) were doing. Georgius Agricola, a famous metallurgist and mining engineer from Saxony in the 16th century wrote about "witching" in the sixteenth century. In His "De Res Metallica" , a great book -=-- honest! he writes about how witching works to pull together clues from the environment that even good engineers don't always recognize and that they cannot tell to others in any way that would give them confidence in taking action on them. I mean, what do you say? "Hey, I have this gut feeling that if you dig down 50 feet here you will hit water? Or -- How about writing a report in which you stated, "Something in my head told me I should lay a trench out beginning at this point on the grid and heading east 5 meters..." The wands give you a way of saying it. Now, how do they work? Gotta be human contact, so gotta be some subliminal signals to your hands and thumbs that you don't feel, but that are physical and help these things move decisively, cause they do for those people for whom these things work. I won't go on, except to point out that the subliminal cue explanation that Agricola came up with and that I agree with was the result of the Inquisition coming down hard on him for suggesting witching!?
      ?
      Also, see Kenneth Roberts extensive works on water witching in New England.?
      ?
      Tom?
      ?
      ?