heartfelt appreciation

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2009
      Dear all,

      Thank you. I do appreciate your expressions of support.

      The general feeling among editors is that if the AAA paid editors' AAA
      membership fees, it would be a real perk and incentive for recruiting
      future editors, and also--perhaps even more significant--a symbolic
      gesture that the AAA does value our work. Some editors report that
      Wiley-Blackwell has treated them unprofessionally--"(missed deadlines,
      late releases, errors in type-setting, absence of proofs, lack of
      responsiveness to editorial office questions, etc.)" Consequently,
      I'm glad that we voted in 2005 to not let them take over production of
      our publication.

      I'll try to keep you abreast of developments as editors are talking
      about rejecting the AAA Exec Board's decision and editorializing the
      issue in our respective publications. Were this to happen, I think it
      would create quite a groundswell of activity. Here's an excerpt from
      one such suggestion:

      > "If we really want this, then we have to act like a union. The AAA,
      > like any organization, does not want bad press or controversy. I
      > would start with a shot across the bow letter, indicating the
      > journal editors collectively and unanimously disagree with the
      > decision, and that we're not going away. We can't shut down, or
      > refuse to do our work, because it would damage the careers of our
      > colleagues. However, our power lies in our publications, we have
      > final say in the content and the content is a direct conduit to our
      > constituents--our contributors and readers. I suggest we draft a
      > letter to our readers signed by all of the editors that we include
      > in our journals in a reasonably synchronized manner. We then alert
      > the Chronicle of Higher Education that we'll be discussing the
      > matter at our Annual Meeting in Philadelphia and ask them to send a
      > representative (which they would certainly do)."

      The Chronicle of Higher Ed is big-time! The AAA might capitulate
      before letting that happen, but who knows? We live in interesting
      times, huh!