Fwd: [SACC-L] Archaeological sites and collections near Flagstaff, AZ

  • anthropmor@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2009
      From: David Zimmerman <dzimmerman@...>
      To: anthropmor@...
      Sent: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:46 am
      Subject: RE: [SACC-L] Archaeological sites and collections near Flagstaff, AZ

      It largely depends on what one intends to do or wants to see. The Museum of Northern Arizona (http://www.musnaz.org)?has the largest public collections, but if this student has a research interest and wants access to research materials, they will need to discuss that with the curator of Anthropology Dr. Kelly Hayes-Gilpin.

      ?

      It's a big area out here, so if visiting publically accessable sites is what they want, NPS has several within a 150 mile radius (Wapatki, Moctezumas Castle, Navajo Nat'l Mon. Walnut Canyon, Tuzegoot). The Forest Service has a big rock art site east of Sedona called the V-Bar-V.

      ?

      I'm not sure there are any "don't miss sites" outside Chaco Canyon, and Bandelier Nat'l Mon ;-)?

      ?

      Wapatki is good and close. If you're in good shape, Batatakin ruin at Navajo National Monument is excellent, and Keet Seel (also at Navajo Nat'l Mon., which requires a special permit in advance, and is a 8 mile hike one way through Laguna Wash, is a very rare treat. I did research at NNM and love it there.