Re: [SACC-L] Archaeological sites and collections near Flagstaff, AZ

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 15, 2009
      Thanks so much, Kent. That's really helpful.
      Deborah

      From: "kent morris" <km52@...>
      To: <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: 4/15/2009 1:04 AM
      Subject: Re: [SACC-L] Archaeological sites and collections near Flagstaff, AZ

      I took a trip thru no. Arizona in 2007 and visited and thoroughly enjoyed
      the following sites in the Flagstaff area:

      Montezuma Castle
      Walnut Canyon Nat'l Mon.
      Wupatki Nat'l Mon.--multiple ruin sites
      Elden Puelbo--a working archaeological site...

      However, there are other sites I didn't visit. Have fun--it's beautiful
      country!!!

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 15, 2009
        Thanks for this, George. I appreciate the help.
        Deborah

        Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
        Anthropology
        Anoka-Ramsey Community College
        Coon Rapids Campus
        deborah.shepherd@...
        http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/shepherd/
        http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc
        phone number: 763-433-1195

        From: George Thomas <broruprecht@...>
        To: <sacc-l@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: 4/15/2009 9:56 AM

        Montezuma's Castle is a definite must. I would add Tusayan, near the Grand Canyon, and I believe I've visited Elden Pueblo, near Flagstaff. If Canyon de Chelly is within the range, GO. And you should notice that southern Utah isn't very far away. Many lesser-known, less "developed" areas are there, and there are even some Pueblo-like sites with contiguous rectangular dwellings in southern Nevada, incl. "Lost City." You might have to check to see if some sites have been gobbled up by development (!) since I last paid attention in the early 80s.

        Archaeological sites and collections near Flagstaff, AZ
        Posted by: "Deborah Shepherd" deborah.shepherd@... deborah_j_shepherd
        Date: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:19 pm ((PDT))

        Hi, all

        One of my adult students has emailed me this: "I am planning a 10 day visit to the area around Flagstaff Arizona this Summer. I have been researching sites and collections in the area and it is clear that I will not be able to visit them all. Would you be willing to provide a list of "don't miss" sits or point me toward a resource that could help?"

        Well, I'm really not that knowledgeable about AZ archaeology apart from what I just learned at our meetings. I'll have to do some research on my own, but if anyone has any suggestions for my student, please let me know.

        Deborah Shepherd

        Messages in this topic (3)
        1b. Re: Archaeological sites and collections near Flagstaff, AZ
        Posted by: "kent morris" km52@... kenthm52

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 15, 2009
          George's suggestions are wonderful. Canyon de Chelly is really the best. The 4 corners in general is a great place to head, but may be a bit of a trek. One of my colleagues is a Southwestern Archaeologist, worked in Bandelier primarily in NM, but I'll ask her advice as well. Her name is Tineke Van Zandt.

          Mary Kay Gilliland