FW: [SERMLIST] Tunisia Learn & Serve 09

  • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 13, 2009
      Some of you might have students who are interested! It was great
      seeing y'all and we sure did miss those of you who weren't in Tucson.
      Were your ears burning? -- Dianne

      ________________________________

      Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:59:37 -0400
      From: miller3@...
      Subject: [SERMLIST] Tunisia Learn & Serve 09
      To: SERMLIST@...

      It was a pleasure to see everyone at the Emory Meeting two weeks ago.

      I announced then that AMIDEAST's 6-week summer program for Tunisia still
      has spaces available. I want to repeat what I said then, and the Flyer
      for the program is attached.

      Learn & Serve is a program best suited for students who want to get
      their feet wet in the Arab World. It has two parts: two weeks of
      intensive cultural studies, based at Amideast in Tunis, during which
      participants experience a range of Tunisian speakers explaining their
      history, culture, society, and religion to them. Students have daily
      Tunisian Arabic classes, and we work a four-day trip around the country
      into this part of the program.

      Two weeks after arrival, participants move to the English Language
      Village, a university facility on the coast near Nabeul which is
      completely transformed into a summer language camp for Tunisian
      university English majors. Our students live with the Tunisian students
      and work with them in structured and non-structured programs to improve
      their spoken English. L&Sers become actual employees of the Tunisian
      Ministry of Higher Education for 2 two-week sessions. Participants
      continue their study of Tunisian Arabic with returned Fulbright Language
      Teaching Assistants, who are also part of the Language Village program.

      An Enrichment Seminar at Mahdia takes place between the Language Village
      sessions during which participants asess their experience and work to
      improve their teaching while enjoying one of North Africa's most
      interesting small cities.

      Program costs: $1700 plus airfare to & from Tunis. Students receive a
      stipend during "Learn" and a small paycheck during "Serve."
      Accomodations and transportation included.

      Dates: Arrive Tunis June 27 or 28; Depart Tunis August 12.

      Credit: Students enroll in a 3-hour course, "Tunisian Culture &
      Society" through AMIDEAST

      Further information: Please contact the Academic Director and Faculty
      Escort, James Miller, miller3@...

      and AMIDEAST directly at: LearnServe@...

      ________________________________

      Rediscover Hotmail(r): Get e-mail storage that grows with you. Check it
      out.
      <http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscove
      r_Storage1_042009>

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 14, 2009
        Hi, all

        One of my adult students has emailed me this: "I am planning a 10 day visit to the area around Flagstaff Arizona this Summer. I have been researching sites and collections in the area and it is clear that I will not be able to visit them all. Would you be willing to provide a list of "don't miss" sits or point me toward a resource that could help?"

        Well, I'm really not that knowledgeable about AZ archaeology apart from what I just learned at our meetings. I'll have to do some research on my own, but if anyone has any suggestions for my student, please let me know.

        Deborah Shepherd
      • kent morris
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 14, 2009
          I took a trip thru no. Arizona in 2007 and visited and thoroughly enjoyed
          the following sites in the Flagstaff area:

          Montezuma Castle
          Walnut Canyon Nat'l Mon.
          Wupatki Nat'l Mon.--multiple ruin sites
          Elden Puelbo--a working archaeological site...

          However, there are other sites I didn't visit. Have fun--it's beautiful
          country!!!

          > One of my adult students has emailed me this: "I am planning a 10 day
          > visit to the area around Flagstaff Arizona this Summer. I have been
          > researching sites and collections in the area and it is clear that I will
          > not be able to visit them all. Would you be willing to provide a list of
          > "don't miss" sits or point me toward a resource that could help?"
          >
          > Well, I'm really not that knowledgeable about AZ archaeology apart from
          > what I just learned at our meetings. I'll have to do some research on my
          > own, but if anyone has any suggestions for my student, please let me know.
          >
          > Deborah Shepherd

          > Groups Links

        • George Thomas
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 15, 2009
            Montezuma's Castle is a definite must.  I would add Tusayan, near the Grand Canyon, and I believe I've visited Elden Pueblo, near Flagstaff.  If Canyon de Chelly is within the range, GO.  And you should notice that southern Utah isn't very far away.  Many lesser-known, less "developed" areas are there, and there are even some Pueblo-like sites with contiguous rectangular dwellings in southern Nevada, incl. "Lost City."  You might have to check to see if some sites have been gobbled up by development (!) since I last paid attention in the early 80s.

            Archaeological sites and collections near Flagstaff, AZ
                Posted by: "Deborah Shepherd" deborah.shepherd@... deborah_j_shepherd
                Date: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:19 pm ((PDT))

            Hi, all

            One of my adult students has emailed me this: "I am planning a 10 day visit to the area around Flagstaff Arizona this Summer. I have been researching sites and collections in the area and it is clear that I will not be able to visit them all. Would you be willing to provide a list of "don't miss" sits or point me toward a resource that could help?"

            Well, I'm really not that knowledgeable about AZ archaeology apart from what I just learned at our meetings. I'll have to do some research on my own, but if anyone has any suggestions for my student, please let me know.

            Deborah Shepherd

            Messages in this topic (3)
            1b. Re: Archaeological sites and collections near Flagstaff, AZ
                Posted by: "kent morris" km52@... kenthm52

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 15, 2009
              Thanks so much, Kent. That's really helpful.
              Deborah

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 15, 2009
                Thanks for this, George. I appreciate the help.
                Deborah

                Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
                Anthropology
                Anoka-Ramsey Community College
                Coon Rapids Campus
                deborah.shepherd@...
                http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/shepherd/
                http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc
                phone number: 763-433-1195

                From: George Thomas <broruprecht@...>
                To: <sacc-l@yahoogroups.com>
                Date: 4/15/2009 9:56 AM

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 15, 2009
                  George's suggestions are wonderful. Canyon de Chelly is really the best. The 4 corners in general is a great place to head, but may be a bit of a trek. One of my colleagues is a Southwestern Archaeologist, worked in Bandelier primarily in NM, but I'll ask her advice as well. Her name is Tineke Van Zandt.

                  Mary Kay Gilliland