Fwd: [ANTHRO-L] Fwd: AAA 2009 CFP -- When the Ends Require the Means: The Intersection of Ethnographic Methods and Critical Theory in Undergraduate Research

  • anthropmor@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2009
      From: Robert T. O'Brien <robert.t.obrien@...>
      To: ANTHRO-L@...
      Sent: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 7:22 am
      Subject: [ANTHRO-L] Fwd: AAA 2009 CFP -- When the Ends Require the Means: The Intersection of Ethnographic Methods and Critical Theory in Undergraduate Research

      PLEASE FORWARD AS APPROPRIATE

      I am putting together a panel for the November AAA meeting in Philadelphia that shows the importance of undergraduate training in methods and theory. I've got a draft abstract below. Please encourage your students to participate. We need one more for a full panel. Sam Beck has agreed to be discussant.

      The theme of this year's conference is "The end/s of anthropology". With that in mind, I am proposing the following panel:
      When the Ends Require the Means: The Intersection of Ethnographic Methods and Critical Theory in Undergraduate Research

      This panel proposes an argument for the validity of anthropology's methods and its unique critical perspectives on sociocultural phenomena using exemplary work by undergraduates trained in both fieldwork and theory. Each of the papers should local forms of difference in the context of transnationalism and advanced capitalism. These papers should represent the ends to which good ethnographic research and writing can be put. In our focus on the work of trained undergraduates we argue for the specificity of anthropological ethnographic practice and inquiry.

      In order to participate students must have done coursework in ethnographic methods and (some form of) critical theory.
      Paper proposals that addresses broad issues related to race, ethnicity, sexuality, gender, disability or other processes of marginalization are strongly encouraged.

      Papers may also engage with or broadly articulate any of these following themes:

      - Reflexive works on the experience of conducting research
      - The politics of the field setting

      - Theoretical/Conceptual Approaches related to activist research
      - Methodological approaches related to providing what Farmer refers to as "pragmatic solidarity"

      More info, including the call for papers is here: http://aaanet.org/meetings/presenters/index.cfm

      The deadline for submitting abstracts and proposals is April 1 at 5PM. Abstracts must be sent to Robert T. O'Brien <robertob@...> no later than March 27th to be considered for inclusion.

      Breathe in, Breathe out.
      Breathe in, Breathe out..
      Forget this and attaining enlightenment will be the least of your worries.

      Robert T. O'Brien
      Assistant Instructor
      Department of Anthropology
      Rutgers University