RE: [SACC-L] footprints

  • Renee Garcia
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
      Hello All,

      I recall hearing the report on NPR world news and thought that the morphologic traits discussed were rather generic. The primary difference between these and the Laetoli series is the divergence of the hallux, which does not appear here in the Kenyan sample.

      I disagree that the morphology of the modern human foot has changed shaped due to modern shoes. Apart from the bony irritations that develop from wearing constricting shoes, the phalanges and digits as well as the tarsal bones are not drastically different from those we can see in the archaeological record of just a hundred years ago or so among Native Americans and others who did not wear shoes. Further, modern shoes may change the skeletal morphology of an individual, again small, tight shoes, but I would say that it would be Lamarckian evolution that would produce this kind of change on a population. I am dubious that this is the case.

      Always interested in a good discussion on skeletal morphology.

      Renee Garcia
      Saddleback College

      [http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45516000/jpg/_45516169_bennett1hr.jpg%5d[http://www.forbiddenhistory.info/files/laetoli.jpg%5d