AAA and SACC Conferences

  • rls@linkline.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2009
      The 2009 annual meeting of the American Anthropological Association will be
      held in Philadelphia, PA (December 2-6, 2009). The theme of this year's
      meeting is "The End/S of Anthropology" (see full description below). The
      submission deadline for panels, papers, and posters to AAA is April 1st at 5
      pm EST. More information is available on the AAA website
      (http://www.aaanet.org/meetings/). Consider organizing a session and having
      it reviewed by SACC!

      III Theme- THE END/S OF ANTHROPOLOGY

      What is the relevance of anthropology in today's world? Where does our
      discipline stand in the age of hyper-science and the genome; during an era
      in which ethnography - as a method and form of textured representation - is
      being mobilized with vigor and confidence by those working in other
      disciplinary formations; at a moment when the questions we're asking are
      also being answered by others in the humanities, social sciences, and media
      (and often with much more popular recognition)? Does anthropology still
      provide a unique contribution? What are its contemporary goals, and are
      they different from those of previous intellectual generations?

      The 2009 meetings of the American Anthropological Association will provide a
      critical space to tackle these scholarly, theoretical, and political
      concerns head-on as we examine our academic and public roles in relation to
      the most pressing problems confronting our world today. We intentionally
      offer the double entendre of "ends" (as both conclusions and purposes) in
      order to focus attention on anthropology's changing relationships to other
      disciplines and to a variety of publics. Perhaps thinking collectively
      about our traditional subjects, objects, and projects would allow us to find
      new sources of energy for anthropological work. We hope to generate serious
      conversation about these issues as we continue to reinvent anthropology for
      this new millennium. Themes we hope to explore include, but are not limited
      to, the following:

      1) The end/s of relativism? While cultural relativism has been one of
      anthropology's foundational tenets, it has been under direct attack because
      the rhetorics and realities of global terrorism over-determine public
      discourse today. How have anthropologists balanced their investments in
      relativism with their understandings of their roles as cultural critics, and
      how might we continue to redefine (and defend) the basic truths of cultural
      relativism in such a hostile political environment?

      2) The end/s of identity? Contemporary anthropologists have been
      pioneers of scholarly analyses about how identities are forged and
      politicized, and have been particularly vocal in demonstrating how cultural
      identifications pass themselves off as natural. However, in decrying the
      essentialisms mobilized by previous generations of social scientists, we
      still struggle to make sense of the complex relationships between identity
      and power. For example, deconstructing racial identity has been a necessary
      project, but is it sufficient in our quest to challenge people's robust
      investments in racial and racist ideologies? Is denaturalization enough to
      challenge the continued deployment of identity categories as mechanisms of
      social control?

      3) The end/s of publics? While it has become commonplace to link the
      concerns of particular localities to national, regional, and global
      dimensions of practice and analysis, we still often struggle
      methodologically to conduct ethnography in today's world. How must we
      re-think notions of space and time in relation to the new kinds of publics
      we analyze and engage today, whether these publics are migrant communities,
      diasporic communities, transnational religious communities, scientific
      communities, etc.? How do we conceptualize the explosion of mass mediated
      intimacies, and what can this tell us about new forms of social and economic
      engagement? What kinds of publics might we seek to address (or even produce)
      with our work, and how do we push the field's epistemological and
      presentational conventions in order to effectively do so?

      Also remember that you have ten days left to submit an abstract for the 2009
      SACC meeting!

      CALL FOR PAPER PRESENTATIONS

      The Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges (SACC) is holding its
      2009 annual meeting in Tucson, Arizona from April 8-12th. The themes of the
      meeting are "Borders and Boundaries" and "Teaching Anthropology."

      Proposals for paper presentations on any topic relating to anthropology are
      welcome. Of particular interest are presentations on teaching anthropology,
      borders and boundaries, research in cultural and biological anthropology,
      and programs developed to reach the wider community.

      Paper presentations are tentatively scheduled for 15 minutes. Abstracts
      should be no longer than 125 words and must be received no later than
      February 20, 2009. Make sure to include your institutional affiliation and
      contact information with your abstract.

      The abstracts should be sent to Rebecca Stein, preferably via email at
      steinrl@... <mailto:steinrl%40lavc.edu> . Paper abstracts, if
      necessary, may be sent to Rebecca Stein, Department of Anthropology, Los
      Angeles Valley College, 5800 Fulton Avenue, Valley Glen, California, 91401.

      Notification of acceptance or rejection of proposals will be completed by
      March 8, 2009. No proposal will be accepted for final inclusion in the
      program until the program chair receives confirmation from the AAA, prior to
      March 15, 2009, that conference registration fees have been paid.