interesting articles

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2009
      Hi all,

      Read a couple of interesting articles at the public library today. In
      THE NATION (Jan 26), a review of four books that discuss such issues
      as who should own a nation's antiquities--its museums irrespective of
      their funding and security systems, the big well-funded museums,
      private investors--and what are the ethics of knowingly selling and
      buying stolen artifacts.

      Also, the Feb 09 issue of NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC has two special articles
      honoring the Darwin Bicentennial: "Darwin's First Clues" and "The
      Modern Darwins." These document the steps in Darwin's development of
      the idea of natural selection while on the voyage of HMS Beagle, and
      integrate them with subsequent developments in evolution theory. One
      of the clearest explanations I've read of how natural selection (as
      Darwin understood it), Mendelian genetics, punctuated equilibrium, DNA
      and the genome and gene mapping--each in its own time--contributed to
      the formation and (forgive me) "evolution" of evolution theory. I
      think it's a must read for anthropology students. The second article
      provides good contemporary examples of evolution in action that should
      give serious pause to those who say, "Evolution's just a theory," and
      "You can't see it happen."

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 27, 2009
        Lloyd, thank you for the information about the articles.

        Regarding Darwin, the latest issue of AnthroNotes (attached) leads with
        an article "An Evolving Genius: The Extraordinary Early Life of Charles
        Darwin" by Doug Schwartz, a piece by Sarah Hrdy on "Darwinism, Social
        Darwinism, and the 'Supreme Function' of Mothers, and "Obama and
        Anthropology" by James Peacock (former AAA president). The issue also
        contains a list of human evolution websites and information on the
        Museum of Natural History's upcoming exhibits, Written in Bone, and
        Since Darwin.

        If you would like to get on our new AnthroNotes email list, send your
        name, mailing address and email address to me at kauppa@....

        Ann

        ________________________________

        Kaupp, Ann; Becky Stein-Frankle (w); Diane Wilhelm; Ann Popplestone;
        Patricia Hamlen; Laura Gonzalez; Autumn Cahoon; Chuck Ellenbaum; Phil
        Stein; George Rodgers; Melvin Johnson; Dianne Chidester; Deborah
        Shepherd; Bob Muckle
        Subject: interesting articles

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 27, 2009
          I see that the email wouldn't take my attachment. You can access the
          latest and past issues of AnthroNotes at
          http://anthropology.si.edu/outreach/anthnote/anthronotes.html

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 30, 2009
            Ann, I just had a moment to glance at the new AnthroNotes. Fantastic stuff! I will look forward to reading it.

            Deborah
          • Lori Barkley
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3 3:06 PM
              Hi Ann,