Re: Course Titles

  • Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 19, 2009
      We are resurrecting a course on " belief and value systems". Unfortunately
      that is the present title of the course. Are any of you using a more
      attention grabbing title for a course like this?

      Dorothy Davis
      Anthropology Department
      UNCG
      Tel- 256-1099

    • Philip Stein
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 19, 2009
        Dorothy,

        I don't know your audience. But over 90 percent of our students are general ed students who have no idea what anthropology is. In the 1970s we went to descriptive titles for all of the courses. So Physical Anthropology became Human Biological Evolution. Remember, few students read catalog desriptions. They look at a list of courses on a sheet their counselor gave them to fulfill their gen ed requirements and check the schedule for time, day, and title. With the short attention spans many of our students have, let's be thankful our field starts with an A.

        Phil

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 20, 2009
          Phil, I will remember that about our field starting with an "A". I'm sure that's why some students sign up, and their performance on tests sometimes actually matches that short attention span. Some surprise, however. Ask me about it in a few weeks. I have my first class this evening, teaching intro cultural to federal prisoners.
          Dorothy, Re. "belief and value systems," you might find those pragmatic general ed students, looking for a course to keep them awake for lunch, might respond to some hot-button reference to "right vs wrong," and some tantalizingly controversial mention of all that being "relative." Start out with maudlin "culture wars" issues to get them participating, then move toward more interesting stuff on 'values in conflict' as the course wears on.
          Unfortunately all those suggestions begin with letters somewhat late in the alphabet -- so how about "Beliefs & Values in Conflict"....
          George

          Re: Course Titles
          Posted by: "Philip Stein" stein39@... phil3900

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 20, 2009
            Myth, Magic & Religion

            Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.
            Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
            Chairperson, Department of Social Sciences & History
            Sussex County Community College
            1 College Hill
            Newton, NJ 07461
            973-300-2177
          • Lynch, Brian M
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 21, 2009
              Interesting resource. This was highlighted in the Chronicle of Higher
              Ed.

              http://dlib.etc.ucla.edu/projects/Karnak/

              Brian