Re: [SACC-L] More Wesch...

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 17, 2009
      I like some of Wesch's video work, too, as I posted yesterday, but Pam
      is right. Vision doesn't describe at least half of my students. Even
      traditional students just out of high school don't necessarily feel
      comfortable with a computer (nor do they have access to one at home),
      and many of them have trouble accessing their school email accounts
      because they can't figure out the program (it isn't hard, but it isn't
      hotmail, either). This year, I've started requiring my students do group
      presentations in PowerPoint just so that they might learn some more
      computer skills. I do like PowerPoint because it forces students to
      organize their thoughts into topics and significant points, and it
      forces them to minimize their language down to what they really need to
      say. For most of them, that would be a more important verbal skill than
      term paper writing.

      Then there are the non-traditional students, some of whom are even
      further behind in digital literacy.

      Deborah

      Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
      Anthropology
      Anoka-Ramsey Community College
      Coon Rapids Campus
      email: deborah.shepherd@...
      http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/shepherd/
      new phone number: 763-433-1195
      >>> mep1mep <mep1mep@...> 01/16/09 7:31 PM >>>
      I really love the idea of your using the video as an assignment. I guess
      I am the only one who has issues with Wesch's work. I don't know of any
      ethnography that would be considered valid if the researcher collected
      group data in a group setting which the researcher controls. Nor do I
      like the notion that all students are alike. That is the kind of
      method--creating an "ethnic" identity which you then shoe-horn
      individuals into--that most anthropologists argue against. "A Vision of
      Students Today" seems to an opportunity for Wesch to set up his own
      straw-man rather than deal with the central problem he is
      facing--classes which are too large. I think its great that your
      students recognize that.

      I teach one adjunct class at the local four year university. It has 125
      students. There is a lot more learning going on in my 25 student
      community college classes. Let's not blame students or talk them into
      constructing their reality for them. Address the large class size at
      the university level.

      Pam

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 19, 2009
        We are resurrecting a course on " belief and value systems". Unfortunately
        that is the present title of the course. Are any of you using a more
        attention grabbing title for a course like this?

        Dorothy Davis
        Anthropology Department
        UNCG
        Tel- 256-1099

      • Philip Stein
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 19, 2009
          Dorothy,

          I don't know your audience. But over 90 percent of our students are general ed students who have no idea what anthropology is. In the 1970s we went to descriptive titles for all of the courses. So Physical Anthropology became Human Biological Evolution. Remember, few students read catalog desriptions. They look at a list of courses on a sheet their counselor gave them to fulfill their gen ed requirements and check the schedule for time, day, and title. With the short attention spans many of our students have, let's be thankful our field starts with an A.

          Phil

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 20, 2009
            Phil, I will remember that about our field starting with an "A". I'm sure that's why some students sign up, and their performance on tests sometimes actually matches that short attention span. Some surprise, however. Ask me about it in a few weeks. I have my first class this evening, teaching intro cultural to federal prisoners.
            Dorothy, Re. "belief and value systems," you might find those pragmatic general ed students, looking for a course to keep them awake for lunch, might respond to some hot-button reference to "right vs wrong," and some tantalizingly controversial mention of all that being "relative." Start out with maudlin "culture wars" issues to get them participating, then move toward more interesting stuff on 'values in conflict' as the course wears on.
            Unfortunately all those suggestions begin with letters somewhat late in the alphabet -- so how about "Beliefs & Values in Conflict"....
            George

            Re: Course Titles
            Posted by: "Philip Stein" stein39@... phil3900

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 20, 2009
              Myth, Magic & Religion

              Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.
              Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
              Chairperson, Department of Social Sciences & History
              Sussex County Community College
              1 College Hill
              Newton, NJ 07461
              973-300-2177
            • Lynch, Brian M
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 21, 2009
                Interesting resource. This was highlighted in the Chronicle of Higher
                Ed.

                http://dlib.etc.ucla.edu/projects/Karnak/

                Brian