More Wesch...

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 16, 2009
      Speaking of Wesch… I show "A Vision of Students Today" the first day of
      Cultural Anthro class, introducing ethnography to students in a format
      familiar to them (You Tube). We take some time to talk about the
      university students' perspective portrayed in the web video and discuss
      how the community college experience may be different. Most of my
      students call the students in the video "whiners" and tell them to "get
      a life!" This semester I'm including an assignment early in the course
      in which I will ask my students to respond to the video – either in a
      written or digital medium. I'll let you know how it goes…

      I wrote to him before the AAAs, asking if he was going to be
      presenting. He did, but on Wednesday - can you believe they gave this
      guy Wednesday?? Did anyone go to his talk?

      Laura
    • mep1mep
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 16, 2009
        I really love the idea of your using the video as an assignment. I guess I am the only one who has issues with Wesch's work.� I don't know of any ethnography that would be considered valid if the researcher collected group data in a group setting which the researcher controls.� Nor do I like the notion that all students are alike.� That is the kind of method--creating an "ethnic" identity which you then shoe-horn individuals into--that most anthropologists argue against.� "A Vision of Students Today" seems to an opportunity for Wesch to set up his own straw-man rather than deal with the central problem he is facing--classes which are too large.� I think its great that your students recognize that.

        I teach one adjunct class at the local four year university.� It has 125 students.� There is a lot more learning going on in my 25 student community college classes.� Let's not blame students or talk them into constructing their reality for them.� Address the large class size at the university level.

        Pam

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 17, 2009
          I like some of Wesch's video work, too, as I posted yesterday, but Pam
          is right. Vision doesn't describe at least half of my students. Even
          traditional students just out of high school don't necessarily feel
          comfortable with a computer (nor do they have access to one at home),
          and many of them have trouble accessing their school email accounts
          because they can't figure out the program (it isn't hard, but it isn't
          hotmail, either). This year, I've started requiring my students do group
          presentations in PowerPoint just so that they might learn some more
          computer skills. I do like PowerPoint because it forces students to
          organize their thoughts into topics and significant points, and it
          forces them to minimize their language down to what they really need to
          say. For most of them, that would be a more important verbal skill than
          term paper writing.

          Then there are the non-traditional students, some of whom are even
          further behind in digital literacy.

          Deborah

          Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
          Anthropology
          Anoka-Ramsey Community College
          Coon Rapids Campus
          email: deborah.shepherd@...
          http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/shepherd/
          new phone number: 763-433-1195
          >>> mep1mep <mep1mep@...> 01/16/09 7:31 PM >>>
          I really love the idea of your using the video as an assignment. I guess
          I am the only one who has issues with Wesch's work. I don't know of any
          ethnography that would be considered valid if the researcher collected
          group data in a group setting which the researcher controls. Nor do I
          like the notion that all students are alike. That is the kind of
          method--creating an "ethnic" identity which you then shoe-horn
          individuals into--that most anthropologists argue against. "A Vision of
          Students Today" seems to an opportunity for Wesch to set up his own
          straw-man rather than deal with the central problem he is
          facing--classes which are too large. I think its great that your
          students recognize that.

          I teach one adjunct class at the local four year university. It has 125
          students. There is a lot more learning going on in my 25 student
          community college classes. Let's not blame students or talk them into
          constructing their reality for them. Address the large class size at
          the university level.

          Pam

          ________________________________
          Speaking of Wesch… I show "A Vision of Students Today" the first day of
          Cultural Anthro class, introducing ethnography to students in a format
          familiar to them (You Tube). We take some time to talk about the
          university students' perspective portrayed in the web video and discuss
          how the community college experience may be different. Most of my
          students call the students in the video "whiners" and tell them to "get
          a life!" This semester I'm including an assignment early in the course
          in which I will ask my students to respond to the video – either in a
          written or digital medium. I'll let you know how it goes…

          I wrote to him before the AAAs, asking if he was going to be
          presenting. He did, but on Wednesday - can you believe they gave this
          guy Wednesday?? Did anyone go to his talk?

          Laura

          Groups Links
        • Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 19, 2009
            We are resurrecting a course on " belief and value systems". Unfortunately
            that is the present title of the course. Are any of you using a more
            attention grabbing title for a course like this?

            Dorothy Davis
            Anthropology Department
            UNCG
            Tel- 256-1099

          • Philip Stein
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 19, 2009
              Dorothy,

              I don't know your audience. But over 90 percent of our students are general ed students who have no idea what anthropology is. In the 1970s we went to descriptive titles for all of the courses. So Physical Anthropology became Human Biological Evolution. Remember, few students read catalog desriptions. They look at a list of courses on a sheet their counselor gave them to fulfill their gen ed requirements and check the schedule for time, day, and title. With the short attention spans many of our students have, let's be thankful our field starts with an A.

              Phil

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 20, 2009
                Phil, I will remember that about our field starting with an "A". I'm sure that's why some students sign up, and their performance on tests sometimes actually matches that short attention span. Some surprise, however. Ask me about it in a few weeks. I have my first class this evening, teaching intro cultural to federal prisoners.
                Dorothy, Re. "belief and value systems," you might find those pragmatic general ed students, looking for a course to keep them awake for lunch, might respond to some hot-button reference to "right vs wrong," and some tantalizingly controversial mention of all that being "relative." Start out with maudlin "culture wars" issues to get them participating, then move toward more interesting stuff on 'values in conflict' as the course wears on.
                Unfortunately all those suggestions begin with letters somewhat late in the alphabet -- so how about "Beliefs & Values in Conflict"....
                George

                Re: Course Titles
                Posted by: "Philip Stein" stein39@... phil3900

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 20, 2009
                  Myth, Magic & Religion

                  Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.
                  Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                  Chairperson, Department of Social Sciences & History
                  Sussex County Community College
                  1 College Hill
                  Newton, NJ 07461
                  973-300-2177
                • Lynch, Brian M
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 21, 2009
                    Interesting resource. This was highlighted in the Chronicle of Higher
                    Ed.

                    http://dlib.etc.ucla.edu/projects/Karnak/

                    Brian