Re: [SACC-L] phones, students, and new media

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16, 2009
      Wow. I found a wealth of links here. I had seen Wesch's "A Vision of Students Today," but I especially liked his "The Machine is Us/ing Us (Final Version)"--especially since I made a living briefly in the 1970s as a bibliographic searcher for Harvard libraries (pre-digital!)--it was a very complicated job, not only to find information in a library but simply to verify whether or not a library system of 10 million books owned a particular work in some form and some language. Wesch has two hour-long lectures on youtube, too.

      Jan Chipchase's 16 minutes on cell phones and communication was another excellent ethnography-like piece. Then I noticed that it is part of a series of TEDTalks in a variety of fields: "Inspired talks by the world's leading thinkers and doers" including people like Stephen Hawking. There are categories on culture and global issues found at www.ted.com

      Deborah

      From: "Bob Muckle" <bmuckle@...>
      To: <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: 1/16/2009 11:08 AM
      Subject: [SACC-L] phones, students, and new media

      Thanks to Kip and others who replied off-list to my query on cell phone research.

      Michael Wesch, the guy mentioned by Kip, is apparently the guru of digital communication and digital ethnography. He has some amazing stuff on line, including youtube. He is a very young (by my standards) assistant professor in Anthropology at...I think Kansas State. It isn't related to cell phones, but I highly recommend checking out his video "A Vision of Students Today" on youtube. It focuses on the thoughts of students in an intro to anthropology class. I recall the video is only about four minutes long.

      And one of the apparent gurus on cell phone research is Jan Chipchase. He is an anthropologist working for Nokia in Japan. You can find quite a bit of his stuff on-line including a video. In one video he mentions that of the 6.3 billion people in the world, three billion have cellular access, and another million was expected to gain access within a year (I don't know when that particular video was made). And elsewhere he examines why people carry and use cell phones.

      I don't recall the links to any of this stuff, but I'm pretty sure you could get to it pretty easy through google.