Re: archaeology lists and bias

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 15, 2009
      Agreed. I may read this exchange in my upcoming cultural anthro class, as I dash through sketches of the importance of linguistics, physical anthro and archaeology to cultural. There's such a large Indiana Jones influence, especially among young people, that the even more interesting (albeit so, so boring) aspects comprising 99% of archaeology get shorted. In my archaeology career, and as I continue after federal retirement, this has been one of my own issues anyway, so thanks, Bob, for the cheat notes.
      George Thomas

      Re: archaeology lists and bias
      Posted by: "anthropmor@..." anthropmor@...
      Date: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:57 pm ((PST))

      In a message dated 1/14/2009 2:08:54 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      bmuckle@... writes:

      I think that as the media itself is increasingly driving
      archaeological
      research, especially that which focuses on things that make good
      television,
      archaeologists are going be faced with increasing challenges
      connvicning people
      of the value of lithic waste flakes, potsherds, and rusty bits of
      metal.

      I agree - I would further venture that it is a primary responsibility
      of the
      intro level instructor to teach that value. Any one who completes a
      100
      level archy. course should be able to tell you why say, mesoamerican
      caves with
      teocinte & pod corn husks are more important , or at least equal to ,
      the
      temple of the Moon.
      I would like to say that many of the Nova doc.'s haved been not only
      good
      TV, but also good for class. I remember one from a few years ago,
      loosely
      following Otzi, the Icemans discovery, that took lots of time ging over
      how
      C-14 dating and dates worked. Another one dealt with early neolithic
      smelting
      of copper.The folks who made those really were worth their funding;
      how it
      would affect primary excavation funding, however, is another matter
      entirely.
      Mike Pavlik
    • mep1mep
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 15, 2009
        Bob,

        You are now an official Guest Ranter.  Check it out.

        Mike,

        I put your comment on the blog.  Was that okay?  I can remove it, if you like.  I left off your name until I have your permission.

        Any and all guest bloggers are welcome.

        Pam
        http://teachinganthropology.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009
          of course you have permission to add my comments.
          Mike Pavlik
          steps!
          cemailfooterNO62)