Re: Repeating Re: [SACC-L] Phys Anth Update in Chicago, April 2009

  • Sydney Hart
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2009
      Thanks! Sadly, I'll be in DesMoines, IA at the Midwest Sociological
      Society's meeting.
      Sydney

      >>> AJ Petto <ajpetto@...> 01/08/09 11:07 AM >>>
      Sorry, I didn't realize that the file attachment would be stripped out.
      It's a Saturday morning, April 4. However, you get free meeting
      registration for attending the workshop, so if you are close by, you can

      drop in on sessions that interest you, get into the exhibit areas, and
      so on.

      Anj

      Here are the details:

      You are invited to join the Education Committee of the American
      Association of Physical Anthropologists (AAPA) for their annual workshop

      for teachers: Fossils, Bones & Primates: Enriching High School
      Teaching. This FREE half-day workshop on SATURDAY APRIL 4, 2009 will be

      held during the AAPA annual meeting at the Chicago Sheraton Hotel and
      Tower. The workshop is intended for biology teachers, but is open to
      all science teachers. Take advantage of this free opportunity to enrich

      your classes by incorporating the latest research in human evolutionary
      biology, paleoanthropology, primatology and forensics.
      For your FREE registration, contact (by Tuesday March
      31):
      Dr. Martin K. Nickels, Illinois State University & Illinois Wesleyan
      University
      mnickels@... 309.661.1909

      Program schedule:
      8:15 – 8:20 Registration and Welcome (Coffee, tea, juice, pastries and
      such will be available.)

      8:20 – 9:00 "Primate Clues to Human Behavior" Dr. Andrew Petto, Univ. of

      Wisconsin-Milwaukee. This workshop focuses on primate behavior and the
      many relationships and similarities between what we perceive to be human

      behavior and that seen in other living primates. Many of these
      behaviors provide insight into our own behavioral repertoire.
      Behavioral examples will be provided from each of the major groups,
      especially the apes. Information sheets and resource lists will be
      provided to assist teachers in classroom preparation and discussion.

      9:05 – 9:45 “Using the Fossil Record in Teaching Human Evolution” Dr.
      Michael Alan Park, Central Connecticut State University. This session
      demonstrates and discusses differences and similarities between modern
      apes and humans. This establishes a "baseline" of observations for
      interpreting fossils. Participants will use a series of fossil casts to

      assess the pattern of evolutionary change over time. We will end by
      considering the "answers" and what they tell us about the evidence for
      and pathway of our evolution. Additional information plus educational
      resources and materials will be provided.

      9:50-10:05: Coffee Break.

      10:05 – 10:45 “Human Skin Color Variation and Race” Dr. Barbara
      O’Connell, Hamline University & Dr. Pamela Ashmore, University of
      Missouri-St. Louis. This hands-on workshop provides you with the
      opportunity to explore skin color - - typically recognized as an
      indicator of racial affiliation. It investigates the adaptive
      significance of skin color variation and globally maps skin color
      distribution. Participants will investigate the application of this
      form of human variation to recognized racial categories and address
      misconceptions regarding race and human variation. Teachers
      participating in this workshop will be able to demonstrate how
      scientific methods can be applied to the biological study of race. In
      addition, this workshop will provide a knowledge base for teachers to
      discuss the reality of using human physical characteristics as
      predictors of racial assignment.

      10:50 – 11:30 “Who are you? Strategies for Presenting Forensic
      Anthropology and Human Variation in the Classroom” K. Lindsay
      Eaves-Johnson, M.A., University of Iowa & Dr. Nancy Tatarek, Ohio
      University. When all that remains of a person are bones, forensic
      anthropology can help answer this question. Using the tools of
      anthropology and knowledge of human variation, one can determine sex,
      age at death, race or biological affinity, and sometimes even
      indications of a person’s occinstructors with a way to teach some of the basic techniques that
      forensic anthropologists use to examine bones and unlock the secrets of
      the dead. Participants will work through sample exercises that may be
      passed on to their students, and will receive a list of resources,
      including videos and a short bibliography.

      11:30 – 12:00 Overview and Summary with a focus on teaching concerns
      related to “creationism” and “intelligent design”. Dr. Deborah
      Cunningham, Florida Atlantic University.

      Between-Presentation Comments by Dr. Martin Nickels

      --
      Andrew J Petto, PhD
      Senior Lecturer

      http://www.uwm.edu/~ajpetto/scc2.htm

      "There is no word in the language that I revere more than teacher. None.

      My heart sings when a kid refers to me as his teacher and it always
      has."

      -- Pat Conroy
      The Prince of Tides

      Groups Links