Re: [SACC-L] Phys Anth Update in Chicago, April 2009

  • Sydney Hart
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2009
      Hi, Dr. Petto:

      I couldn't see an attachment and am interested in particpating in this workshop. I need to know the date and time to see if I can make it. Thanks!

      Sydney Hart
      Anthropology and Sociology
      Wilbur Wright Community College
      4300 N. Narragansett Ave.
      Chicago, IL 60634

      >>> AJ Petto <ajpetto@...> 01/06/09 11:29 AM >>>
      Just a note to let you all know that the annual Physical Anthropology
      Update for educators is coming to Chicago. The workshop is free and
      includes registration for the AAPA meetings.

      We aim this at secondary teachers, but it also serves as a good update
      for folks teaching survey or 4/5-field courses at community colleges.

      I'd be happy to answer questions, but you can also contact Martin
      Nickels, whose email is in the attached announcement.

      Anj Petto

      --
      Andrew J Petto, PhD
      Senior Lecturer

      *************
      http://www.uwm.edu/~ajpetto/scc2.htm
      *************

      "There is no word in the language that I revere more than teacher. None.
      My heart sings when a kid refers to me as his teacher and it always has."

      -- Pat Conroy
      The Prince of Tides

    • AJ Petto
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2009
        Sorry, I didn't realize that the file attachment would be stripped out.
        It's a Saturday morning, April 4. However, you get free meeting
        registration for attending the workshop, so if you are close by, you can
        drop in on sessions that interest you, get into the exhibit areas, and
        so on.

        Anj

        Here are the details:

        You are invited to join the Education Committee of the American
        Association of Physical Anthropologists (AAPA) for their annual workshop
        for teachers: Fossils, Bones & Primates: Enriching High School
        Teaching. This FREE half-day workshop on SATURDAY APRIL 4, 2009 will be
        held during the AAPA annual meeting at the Chicago Sheraton Hotel and
        Tower. The workshop is intended for biology teachers, but is open to
        all science teachers. Take advantage of this free opportunity to enrich
        your classes by incorporating the latest research in human evolutionary
        biology, paleoanthropology, primatology and forensics.
        For your FREE registration, contact (by Tuesday March 31):
        Dr. Martin K. Nickels, Illinois State University & Illinois Wesleyan
        University
        mnickels@... 309.661.1909

        Program schedule:
        8:15 – 8:20 Registration and Welcome (Coffee, tea, juice, pastries and
        such will be available.)

        8:20 – 9:00 "Primate Clues to Human Behavior" Dr. Andrew Petto, Univ. of
        Wisconsin-Milwaukee. This workshop focuses on primate behavior and the
        many relationships and similarities between what we perceive to be human
        behavior and that seen in other living primates. Many of these
        behaviors provide insight into our own behavioral repertoire.
        Behavioral examples will be provided from each of the major groups,
        especially the apes. Information sheets and resource lists will be
        provided to assist teachers in classroom preparation and discussion.

        9:05 – 9:45 “Using the Fossil Record in Teaching Human Evolution” Dr.
        Michael Alan Park, Central Connecticut State University. This session
        demonstrates and discusses differences and similarities between modern
        apes and humans. This establishes a "baseline" of observations for
        interpreting fossils. Participants will use a series of fossil casts to
        assess the pattern of evolutionary change over time. We will end by
        considering the "answers" and what they tell us about the evidence for
        and pathway of our evolution. Additional information plus educational
        resources and materials will be provided.

        9:50-10:05: Coffee Break.

        10:05 – 10:45 “Human Skin Color Variation and Race” Dr. Barbara
        O’Connell, Hamline University & Dr. Pamela Ashmore, University of
        Missouri-St. Louis. This hands-on workshop provides you with the
        opportunity to explore skin color - - typically recognized as an
        indicator of racial affiliation. It investigates the adaptive
        significance of skin color variation and globally maps skin color
        distribution. Participants will investigate the application of this
        form of human variation to recognized racial categories and address
        misconceptions regarding race and human variation. Teachers
        participating in this workshop will be able to demonstrate how
        scientific methods can be applied to the biological study of race. In
        addition, this workshop will provide a knowledge base for teachers to
        discuss the reality of using human physical characteristics as
        predictors of racial assignment.

        10:50 – 11:30 “Who are you? Strategies for Presenting Forensic
        Anthropology and Human Variation in the Classroom” K. Lindsay
        Eaves-Johnson, M.A., University of Iowa & Dr. Nancy Tatarek, Ohio
        University. When all that remains of a person are bones, forensic
        anthropology can help answer this question. Using the tools of
        anthropology and knowledge of human variation, one can determine sex,
        age at death, race or biological affinity, and sometimes even
        indications of a person’s occupation. This session will present
        instructors with a way to teach some of the basic techniques that
        forensic anthropologists use to examine bones and unlock the secrets of
        the dead. Participants will work through sample exercises that may be
        passed on to their students, and will receive a list of resources,
        including videos and a short bibliography.

        11:30 – 12:00 Overview and Summary with a focus on teaching concerns
        related to “creationism” and “intelligent design”. Dr. Deborah
        Cunningham, Florida Atlantic University.

        Between-Presentation Comments by Dr. Martin Nickels

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2009
          Thanks! Sadly, I'll be in DesMoines, IA at the Midwest Sociological
          Society's meeting.
          Sydney

> [...]

          misconceptions regarding race and human variation. Teachers
          participating in this workshop will be able to demonstrate how
          scientific methods can be applied to the biological study of race. In
          addition, this workshop will provide a knowledge base for teachers to
          discuss the reality of using human physical characteristics as
          predictors of racial assignment.

          10:50 – 11:30 “Who are you? Strategies for Presenting Forensic
          Anthropology and Human Variation in the Classroom” K. Lindsay
          Eaves-Johnson, M.A., University of Iowa & Dr. Nancy Tatarek, Ohio
          University. When all that remains of a person are bones, forensic
          anthropology can help answer this question. Using the tools of
          anthropology and knowledge of human variation, one can determine sex,
          age at death, race or biological affinity, and sometimes even
          indications of a person’s occinstructors with a way to teach some of the basic techniques that
[...]

          Groups Links