Written in Bone exhibit at NMNH

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2009
      Many of you heard Doug Owsley and Kari Bruwelheide talk about the
      forthcoming Written in Bone exhibit at our annual meeting last March in
      Washington, D.C.

      Written in Bone Forensic Files of the 17th-Century Chesapeake opens
      February 7 and will be on exhibit at the National Museum of Natural
      History through February 6, 2011. This exhibition will examine history
      through 17th-century bone biographies, including those of colonists
      teetering on the edge of survival at Jamestown, Virginia, and those of
      wealthy and well-established individuals of St. Mary's City, Maryland.
      Not until this time in our history have we had the technological
      capability to help us tell this tale. Human anatomy and forensic
      investigation provide intriguing information on people and events of
      America's past.

      The research behind this exhibit was the focus of the Spring 2007
      AnthroNotes article "Written in Bone: Reading the Remains of the 17th
      Century" by Kari Bruwelheide and Douglas Owsley, curators of the exhibit
      (http://anthropology.si.edu/outreach/anthnote/anthronotes.html)

      Check out the web comic

      The Secret in the Cellar

      a written in bone forensic mystery from colonial America
      http://anthropology.si.edu/writteninbone/comic/
      <http://anthropology.si.edu/writteninbone/comic/>