SACC Annual Meetings in Tucson

  • Gilliland, Mary
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2008
      Dear All:

      Please mark April 8-11 on your Calendars for the Annual SACC Meetings, in warm Tucson, Arizona. The conference will be held at the Marriott University Park near the University of Arizona. The theme is "Borders and Boundaries".

      It is in a wonderful central location with lots of fun eateries, a micro-brewery (Gentle Ben's), a trolley to the arts/vintage/"alternative" district which costs $1.00, and reasonably close to the El Presidio Barrio and Old Pueblo history. The conference hotel is across the street from the Arizona Historical Society Museum, and 1 short block from the University of Arizona Main Gate (which is right next to the Anthropology Building, and the State Museum)

      We will have 2 pre-conference workshops, with limited capacity, available at no extra cost for those who register early (first come, first serve). These will begin at 8:30 on April 8th, Wednesday, and go until noon. You may indicate an interest in one or both, and we will accommodate you to the best of our abilities. The first of these is a Zooarchaeology Workshop at the Arizona State Museum on the University of Arizona Campus (VERY close to our hotel, shuttle available if needed). The second is a Dendrochronology Workshop at the Tree Ring Labs.

      Our conference "officially" begins on the 8th later in the day, with a Board meeting from 3:30-5:30, and then Registration & Welcome Reception from 4-6 with a Southwestern theme (including Mexican beer and Sangria). We hope to have music to entertain you at the reception (still working on it!)

      Dinner on your own most evenings, including the first.

      On the 9th and 10th, we will begin with a continental breakfast, then move into papers in the morning. We will have our Business Meeting at a buffet lunch on the 9th, and a speaker from Native Seed Search on the 10th at a plated lunch.

      On the 10th in the afternoon, we will have time for a poster session, and students are encouraged to attend this. We also hope to have a showing of the film "Yes is Better than No", with presenter Gabrielle Cazares-Kelly, a poignant story of a Tohono O'odham family. The film was recently nominated for a student film award, and we hope that copies will be available for you to purchase at low cost for your classrooms.

      On the evening of the 10th, we will tentatively arrange a visit to one of the Yaqui communities for the Good Friday Deer Dance. This would be after a quick dinner on your own.

      On the 11th, we will go to San Xavier, one of the O'odham reservations, and visit an historic mission and museum; we plan to have a speaker talk about the historic restoration/preservation project which was a fascinating process. Later we will go to the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, a beautiful sprawling outdoor zoo/botanical gardens and "desert scape" with some geological, archaeological and anthropological interest as well. We plan to have our farewell dinner at the Museum, after closing; the food there is known to be very good and the sunsets are usually an amazing show. Dinner will be proceeded by a cash bar.

      Finally -- as well as research papers, and those around our theme, we hope to have a nice contribution of teaching papers as well --particularly some oriented to the challenges so many of us face (how to teach Biological Anthropology with a day's notice, when you are a Cultural Anthropologist, or online teaching challenges, or the ever popular Evolution or Race issues).

      We hope you will all be able to come! Room rates are 139.00 per night plus taxes, for single or double and the hotel is really nice. Students may pack in 3 to a room with a rollaway -- just let them know. There are a limited number of rooms for Tuesday night (and for after the conference), so book early if you plan to come for the pre-conference, or just want some extra time in the April sunshine. It should be in the low to mid 80's that time of year.
      _
    • Gilliland, Mary
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2008
        Additional Information:

        Booking tickets, don't neglect to look at arriving in Phoenix. There is a good ground shuttle (takes about an hour and a half) that can drop you right at our location, about $40.00 round trip. Renting a car is also a good option if you want to see more of the area, and parking at the conference hotel is only $13.00 per day. If you like to walk, you can probably find free parking not too far away.

        If you arrive in Tucson, you can get to the hotel on the Arizona Stagecoach for a very reasonable shuttle price.

        Tucsonans never use taxis, so I'll have to look into costs, but they are available.

        Our bus service isn't bad (Sun Tran), but probably not from the airport.

        Mary Kay