Bob Muckle is full of sh_t!

  • Barry Kass
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 26, 2008
      hi Bob,
      I just want to tell you that I read your column on coprolites in
      the latest edition of Teaching Anthropology: SACC Notes, and
      thoroughly enjoyed it.
      I would like to share with you a coprolite story I heard when I
      was a graduate student in anthropology at SUNY Binghamton circa 1969.
      Apparently at that time there were archaeologists from UCLA who
      were excavating a dry rockshelter site somewhere in the highlands of
      Mexico. They happened to find a pile of very well-preserved
      coprolites towards the rear overhang of the shelter. The coprolites
      were boxed up and given to one of the team members to transport to the
      archaeology lab at UCLA. When he was crossing the border between
      Mexico and the US, his bag was searched by a customs agent, who found
      the box of coprolites and arrested the archaeologist on the charge of
      smuggling a large quantity of hashish into the US! It would seem that
      dried up human dung, brown and crumbly, resembles hashish in color and
      texture. So the archaeologist spent a day or two in detention until
      other scientists vouched for him at US Customs that he was indeed
      transporting scientific samples for laboratory analysis. And, when he
      got his property returned, later that day in the lab at UCLA it was
      discovered that 1/2 the coprolites were missing from the box. Which
      means that there were people in southern California smoking really
      good shit.
      Hope you enjoyed the story.
      Regards,
      Barry
    • Gilliland, Mary
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 26, 2008
        This is hilarious! I also read Bob's article, and loved it. I took it home to share with my 10 year old who is kind of quirky (as the children of anthropologists tend to be), and he was actually howling with laughter last night reading a scientific account of poop as Bob so beautifully put it.

        The hashish account (Barry's) is worthy of sharing with students (but not my child). Thanks to you both.

        Mary Kay

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2008
          Great story, Barry!
          Lloyd