Re: [SACC-L] student excuses

  • Monica Bellas
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
      Whenever a student gives me an excuse for missing an exam, handing in a
      paper, etc., I relate this true story to them:
      As I'm driving to Yucaipa to teach a class at Crafton Hills College, I exit
      the freeway and notice a tow truck parked next to a broken down vehicle.
      Standing next to this vehicle is a student in my class. By the time I
      realize what's going on, it's too late for me to stop (and I can't turn
      around), so I proceed to campus, knowing this student won't be able to turn
      in her term paper that's due in 10 minutes. I decide to cut her a break, as
      she's an excellent student and hasn't missed a class all semester. 20
      minutes into the class, the student shows up and turns in her paper. She
      insisted that the tow truck driver stop at the college on the way to the
      repair shop!
      Now that's dedication!
      Monica Bellas
      Cerritos College
      Norwalk, CA

      "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
      body,
      but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...
      "HOLY SHIT...WHAT A RIDE!"