opportunity to publish

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2008
      Dear Colleagues,

      (Please forgive duplications of this message.) Pat Rice, co-editor
      of the Strategies in Teaching Anthropology series, has sent an
      invitation to contribute to the new volume to be published next
      year. I've pasted her message below. Here's a great opportunity to
      share one of your favorite classroom projects with a wide audience.

      Best,
      Lloyd
      lloyd.miller@...

      October 1, 2008

      To: Authors of Strategies in Teaching Anthropology, Vol 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

      From: Pat Rice (on behalf of co-editors Dave McCurdy and Scott Lukas)

      Re: Sixth volume/edition

      Prentice-Hall has agreed to publish the sixth volume in the
      Strategies in Teaching Anthropology series to be ready in time for
      AAA meetings in November 2009, with a 2010 copyright date. We
      cordially invite all of our previous authors to submit yet another
      strategy for this new volume. Or, if you have an anthropology
      colleague who seems to have an appropriate contribution, please pass
      on this message.

      In case you have forgotten, the details (rules) are:

      · Strategies must be for introductory level courses (any
      subfield or combination).

      · Strategies must be about teaching important points or
      concepts, not whole courses. 1-3 class sessions; work can be done in
      or outside of class, with some in-class component.

      · Strategies must focus on how to teach something, keep pedagogy
      to a minimum.

      · Keep writing relatively short, up to about 5 pp; diagrams are
      fine.

      · Write as if you are telling someone how to do what you do, use
      "Do this" rather than "I do this."

      · Use Word format; avoid extra formatting codes. Do not paginate.

      With three editors now involved, I am acting as the
      coordinator, so send all submissions to me. I will pass them on to
      one or both of the other co-editors for their comments and we will
      abide by majority rule. My email is: pat.rice@....

      The only real change from submissions/acceptances from
      previous volumes is that we are accepting--we are encouraging--early
      submissions and will accept as appropriate. The absolute final due
      date for all manuscripts is April 1, 2009. We are accepting
      appropriate contributions between now and the final due date and must
      close the door on acceptances at 180 pp. So send your questions
      about whether your idea is appropriate or manuscripts as soon as
      possible so you won't be left out.

      (Pat's other information is Dept of Sociology and Anthropology, West
      Virginia University, 214 Knapp Hall, P.O. Box 6326, Morgantown, WV
      26506-6326, (304) 293-5801, ext. 3206; Fax: 304-293-5994.)