AAA Outreach Survey - PLEASE READ

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 22, 2008
      http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=tkusV0nfrTQBTCveSkjs7w_3d_3d

      Greetings SACC-ers and friends,

      In the interest of providing a strong response to Richard Thomas on the
      important questions he has posed (see Ann's previous e-mail), I've
      created a five question survey. Please take 3 minutes out of your busy
      day to let the AAA know what your needs are as a community college
      instructor of anthropology.

      Please send this link to all Anthros in your department. Now. I mean it.

      http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=tkusV0nfrTQBTCveSkjs7w_3d_3d

      We gripe about AAA not meeting our needs - this is one way to address
      them directly. Please add your responses so we can be heard.

      Thank you!
      Laura

      http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=tkusV0nfrTQBTCveSkjs7w_3d_3d
    • Sydney Hart
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 23, 2008
        Thanks for making this survey! I would have responded to the questions anyway (unless I forgot, got overwhelmed with work, etc.), but this made it a bit easier. Even though I put comments in all of the boxes, there was something about the survey that made me think I could do it quickly and efficiently. So, thanks again!
        Sydney

        >>> lauratgonzalez <ltgonzalez@...> 09/22/08 8:25 PM >>>
        http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=tkusV0nfrTQBTCveSkjs7w_3d_3d

        Greetings SACC-ers and friends,

        In the interest of providing a strong response to Richard Thomas on the
        important questions he has posed (see Ann's previous e-mail), I've
        created a five question survey. Please take 3 minutes out of your busy
        day to let the AAA know what your needs are as a community college
        instructor of anthropology.

        Please send this link to all Anthros in your department. Now. I mean it.

        http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=tkusV0nfrTQBTCveSkjs7w_3d_3d

        We gripe about AAA not meeting our needs - this is one way to address
        them directly. Please add your responses so we can be heard.

        Thank you!
        Laura

        http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=tkusV0nfrTQBTCveSkjs7w_3d_3d
      • Dianne Chidester
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 23, 2008
          Folks, I'm having a problem with these questions. And my problems may
          be why, even after all these years of work to get recognition from AAA,
          community college people have not responded to AAA. My reason for being
          a member of AAA is to be able to help SACC as an organization. One
          cannot be an official of SACC without being a member of AAA.

          The best thing that AAA ever did for me was get me connected to SACC.
          SACC gives me a forum for presenting and hearing papers; for publishing;
          for attending conferences; for networking; etc. Even when I spent a
          year searching for a community college job, it wasn't AAA that provided
          the information and/or networks and support. It was SACC members.

          I have often thought about dropping out of AAA because of the expense
          and that I get so little out of AAA. (I've often joked that I belong to
          two AAA organizations. One costs nearly $200 a year and does little.
          The other costs $45 and rescues me when my car breaks down. Which one
          is the better value?) I have often considered just paying a SACC
          membership and giving more money to SACC for all it does for me. It
          still wouldn't have to add up to what AAA charges.

          If I really need the database (I'm in a situation where I don't do a lot
          of research), I can access it through university libraries.
          AnthroSource has been one of the "sore spots" for me. I know I should
          get "over it" and be happy that our leadership (Lloyd, Mel and others)
          very carefully protected SACC and SACCNotes from a very possible demise
          through the AAA. A non-anthro colleague of mine recently wanted an
          article from AnthroSource. She found out she could join for a day for
          the small fee of $16.

          What benefits would a 3 or 6 month membership provide?

          If I'm out of line, let me know. It won't be the first nor the last
          time.

          Cheers?

          Dianne

          ________________________________

          Thanks for making this survey! I would have responded to the questions
          anyway (unless I forgot, got overwhelmed with work, etc.), but this made
          it a bit easier. Even though I put comments in all of the boxes, there
          was something about the survey that made me think I could do it quickly
          and efficiently. So, thanks again!
          Sydney

          >>> lauratgonzalez <ltgonzalez@... <mailto:ltgonzalez%40cox.net> >
          09/22/08 8:25 PM >>>
[...]

        • Laura Gonzalez
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 23, 2008
            Dianne,

            Please feel free to express yourself on the survey. Get these responses
            registered. Let them know that we have several times seriously considered
            becoming independent from AAA. You go girl.

            Laura

            http://www.surveymo
            <http://www.surveymo
[...]

            are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
            destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and
            knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and
            malware.

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 25, 2008
              Dianne,

              You're not out of line at all. You just said some things that most if
              not all of us know but don't talk about much. I answered the survey
              because Laura created it and I wanted to support that, but I'm afraid
              that my answers were not very helpful.

              In the 18 years I've been with SACC, I've never understood why our
              membership hasn't increased more. I suspect that of the various
              activities academics do, association memberships and conference going
              are among the "higher order" needs (paraphrasing Abraham Maslow's
              "hierarchy or needs" idea). First, one needs to have a job that
              supports a living. Then one needs some motivation to join, like
              career advancement (it looks good on my resume, publishing credits,
              etc.). Then, for conferences, one needs an administration that will
              provide financial support, leave time and other encouragements. Maybe
              need for affiliation belongs in here also. In any case, I think that
              too many of our cc anthro. colleagues teach in multiple areas (so AAA
              and SACC compete with other associations) and/or are adjunct and (if
              they hear of us at all) consider our membership an impractical luxury
              in the hierarchy of making ends meet.

              So, I'm not sure what AAA can do to improve the situation. I wish I
              could be more helpful.

              Lloyd