Re: [SACC-L] SACC profiled in the AAA Annual Report 2007

    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
      Thanks, Bob. That is a nice gesture, and an opportunity for our
      beloved non-community college colleagues (if they read it) to learn
      more about who and what we are.

      I don't know how many of you get the GAD (General Anthropology
      Division) section newsletter, but the latest issue has an article on
      teaching introductory anthropology by a university professor who
      becomes so disenchanted with her undergraduate students that she goes
      to teaching only graduate students. Then she goes "undercover" and
      spends a year as a freshman so she can do fieldwork among
      undergraduates to understand them better. She does learn much about
      them, goes back to teaching introductory anthropology and shares some
      of the ways her teaching has changed as a result of her experience.

      I recommend the article; her insights are worth reading. However,
      much of what she learned is what most of us learned by teaching in
      community colleges. I think the article reflects some of the
      differences in perspective between teachers in universities and
      community colleges. I have it in a PDF format but can't send it to
      this listserv. If any of you want the article, email me and I'll
      send it to you individually.

      Lloyd
      lloyd.miller@...

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
        I believe the following organizations have addressed this new movie:

        The National Center for Science Education (NCSE)
        http://www.natcenscied.org; and the National Science Teachers
        Association

        http://www.nsta.org/ <http://www.nsta.org/> They also have resources
        on evolution including frequently asked questions and answers at
        http://www.nsta.org/publications/evolution.aspx#qanda

        ________________________________

[...]

        e-mail: fulara@... <mailto:fulara%40dupage.edu>

      • kent morris
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
          also check out "My Freshman Year" by Rebekah Nathan--another anthro
          professor...
          Thanks, Bob. That is a nice gesture, and an opportunity for our
          beloved non-community college colleagues (if they read it) to learn
          more about who and what we are.

          I don't know how many of you get the GAD (General Anthropology
          Division) section newsletter, but the latest issue has an article on
          teaching introductory anthropology by a university professor who
          becomes so disenchanted with her undergraduate students that she goes
          to teaching only graduate students. Then she goes "undercover" and
          spends a year as a freshman so she can do fieldwork among
          undergraduates to understand them better. She does learn much about
          them, goes back to teaching introductory anthropology and shares some
          of the ways her teaching has changed as a result of her experience.

          I recommend the article; her insights are worth reading. However,
          much of what she learned is what most of us learned by teaching in
          community colleges. I think the article reflects some of the
          differences in perspective between teachers in universities and
          community colleges. I have it in a PDF format but can't send it to
          this listserv. If any of you want the article, email me and I'll
          send it to you individually.

          Lloyd
          lloyd.miller@...

          On Sep 3, 2008, at 10:26 AM, Bob Muckle wrote:

          > The 2007 AAA report is available on-line. From the AAA home page,
          > go to
          > 'About AAA' and choose 'Annual Reports' from the drop-down menu.
          >
          > Bob

          > Wow, I feel disadvantaged! I haven't yet received my 2007 AAA
          > report-
          > maybe in today's mail?-but did already get an email from a university
          >
          > colleague commenting on the article and photo. I agree with Laura.
          > Ann, you deserve many kudos for your active and involved presidency.
          >
          > I feel as though this past year has been a "moving and shaking"
          > experience for SACC.
          > Lloyd
          > lloyd.miller@...
          >
          > On Sep 3, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Laura Gonzalez wrote:
          >
          > > I believe Ann Kaupp took the lead on this one, and she deserves an
          > > awful lot
          > > of credit for being an extremely active and engaged section
          > president!

          Groups Links

          http://www.eset.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
            We are family!

            Wow, I feel disadvantaged! I haven't yet received my 2007 AAA report-
            maybe in today's mail?-but did already get an email from a university
            colleague commenting on the article and photo. I agree with Laura.
            Ann, you deserve many kudos for your active and involved presidency.
            I feel as though this past year has been a "moving and shaking"
            experience for SACC.
            Lloyd
            lloyd.miller@...

            On Sep 3, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Laura Gonzalez wrote:

            > I believe Ann Kaupp took the lead on this one, and she deserves an
            > awful lot
            > of credit for being an extremely active and engaged section president!

          • Dianne Chidester
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008

              From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
              Behalf
              Of Lloyd Miller
              Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 10:12 AM
              To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>

              lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

              Find out more at our web page :http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo
              <http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo> !
              Groups Links

            • mep1mep
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
                I think you mean Expelled--which is the anti-evolution movie not Exiled which is the MTV television series.

                By the way, everyone.  I asked two of my classes today and about one third to one half of the class had seen at least parts of the MTV series, Exiled--so, they are watching it.

                Pam

                ____________ _________ _________ __

[...]

                e-mail: fulara@dupage. edu <mailto:fulara% 40dupage. edu>

              • Johnson, Ellen C. K.
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
                  I agree, Dianne. There have been and are many, many great SACC folks!
                  Not stuff to live down, though; rather, good times to celebrate!
                  Ellen J

                  lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                  <http://www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/> > > com

                  Find out more at our web page :http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo <http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo>