Re: [SACC-L] SACC profiled in the AAA Annual Report 2007

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
      The 2007 AAA report is available on-line. From the AAA home page, go to
      'About AAA' and choose 'Annual Reports' from the drop-down menu.

      Bob

      >>> Lloyd Miller <lloyd.miller@...> 9/3/2008 7:12 AM >>>
      Wow, I feel disadvantaged! I haven't yet received my 2007 AAA
      report—
      maybe in today's mail?—but did already get an email from a university

      colleague commenting on the article and photo. I agree with Laura.
      Ann, you deserve many kudos for your active and involved presidency.

      I feel as though this past year has been a "moving and shaking"
      experience for SACC.
      Lloyd
      lloyd.miller@...

      On Sep 3, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Laura Gonzalez wrote:

      > I believe Ann Kaupp took the lead on this one, and she deserves an
      > awful lot
      > of credit for being an extremely active and engaged section
      president!

      MTV?

      > > http://www.nytimes
      > <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/23/arts/television/23mtv.html?
      > ref=television
      > > com/2008/08/23/arts/television/23mtv.html?ref=television
      > >
      > > I caught a few minutes of it last night -- frankly, a few minutes

      > is about
      > all
      > > I could watch. But, I know chances are that quite a few of my
      > students
      > > watched the show in its entirety, so I see a teachable
      > opportunity here
      > for my
      > > Cultural Anthropology students.
      > >
      > > Anyone care to discuss this further -- perhaps a discussion that
      > can be
      > moved
      > > to SACCommentary?
      > >
      > > Take care,
      > > Elise
      > >
      > > ---
      > > Elise A. Fulara
      > > Anthropology Instructor, College of DuPage
      > > voicemail: 630/942-2800 x 57617
      > > e-mail: fulara@dupage. <mailto:fulara%40dupage.edu> edu

      Groups Links
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
        Thanks, Bob. That is a nice gesture, and an opportunity for our
        beloved non-community college colleagues (if they read it) to learn
        more about who and what we are.

        I don't know how many of you get the GAD (General Anthropology
        Division) section newsletter, but the latest issue has an article on
        teaching introductory anthropology by a university professor who
        becomes so disenchanted with her undergraduate students that she goes
        to teaching only graduate students. Then she goes "undercover" and
        spends a year as a freshman so she can do fieldwork among
        undergraduates to understand them better. She does learn much about
        them, goes back to teaching introductory anthropology and shares some
        of the ways her teaching has changed as a result of her experience.

        I recommend the article; her insights are worth reading. However,
        much of what she learned is what most of us learned by teaching in
        community colleges. I think the article reflects some of the
        differences in perspective between teachers in universities and
        community colleges. I have it in a PDF format but can't send it to
        this listserv. If any of you want the article, email me and I'll
        send it to you individually.

        Lloyd
        lloyd.miller@...

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
          I believe the following organizations have addressed this new movie:

          The National Center for Science Education (NCSE)
          http://www.natcenscied.org; and the National Science Teachers
          Association

          http://www.nsta.org/ <http://www.nsta.org/> They also have resources
          on evolution including frequently asked questions and answers at
          http://www.nsta.org/publications/evolution.aspx#qanda

          ________________________________

[...]

          e-mail: fulara@... <mailto:fulara%40dupage.edu>

        • kent morris
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
            also check out "My Freshman Year" by Rebekah Nathan--another anthro
            professor...
            Thanks, Bob. That is a nice gesture, and an opportunity for our
            beloved non-community college colleagues (if they read it) to learn
            more about who and what we are.

            I don't know how many of you get the GAD (General Anthropology
            Division) section newsletter, but the latest issue has an article on
            teaching introductory anthropology by a university professor who
            becomes so disenchanted with her undergraduate students that she goes
            to teaching only graduate students. Then she goes "undercover" and
            spends a year as a freshman so she can do fieldwork among
            undergraduates to understand them better. She does learn much about
            them, goes back to teaching introductory anthropology and shares some
            of the ways her teaching has changed as a result of her experience.

            I recommend the article; her insights are worth reading. However,
            much of what she learned is what most of us learned by teaching in
            community colleges. I think the article reflects some of the
            differences in perspective between teachers in universities and
            community colleges. I have it in a PDF format but can't send it to
            this listserv. If any of you want the article, email me and I'll
            send it to you individually.

            Lloyd
            lloyd.miller@...

            On Sep 3, 2008, at 10:26 AM, Bob Muckle wrote:

            > The 2007 AAA report is available on-line. From the AAA home page,
            > go to
            > 'About AAA' and choose 'Annual Reports' from the drop-down menu.
            >
            > Bob

            > Wow, I feel disadvantaged! I haven't yet received my 2007 AAA
            > report-
            > maybe in today's mail?-but did already get an email from a university
            >
            > colleague commenting on the article and photo. I agree with Laura.
            > Ann, you deserve many kudos for your active and involved presidency.
            >
            > I feel as though this past year has been a "moving and shaking"
            > experience for SACC.
            > Lloyd
            > lloyd.miller@...
            >
            > On Sep 3, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Laura Gonzalez wrote:
            >
            > > I believe Ann Kaupp took the lead on this one, and she deserves an
            > > awful lot
            > > of credit for being an extremely active and engaged section
            > president!

            Groups Links

            http://www.eset.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
              We are family!

              Wow, I feel disadvantaged! I haven't yet received my 2007 AAA report-
              maybe in today's mail?-but did already get an email from a university
              colleague commenting on the article and photo. I agree with Laura.
              Ann, you deserve many kudos for your active and involved presidency.
              I feel as though this past year has been a "moving and shaking"
              experience for SACC.
              Lloyd
              lloyd.miller@...

              On Sep 3, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Laura Gonzalez wrote:

              > I believe Ann Kaupp took the lead on this one, and she deserves an
              > awful lot
              > of credit for being an extremely active and engaged section president!

            • Dianne Chidester
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008

                From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
                Behalf
                Of Lloyd Miller
                Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 10:12 AM
                To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>

                lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                Find out more at our web page :http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo
                <http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo> !
                Groups Links

              • mep1mep
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
                  I think you mean Expelled--which is the anti-evolution movie not Exiled which is the MTV television series.

                  By the way, everyone.  I asked two of my classes today and about one third to one half of the class had seen at least parts of the MTV series, Exiled--so, they are watching it.

                  Pam

                  ____________ _________ _________ __

[...]

                  e-mail: fulara@dupage. edu <mailto:fulara% 40dupage. edu>

                • Johnson, Ellen C. K.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
                    I agree, Dianne. There have been and are many, many great SACC folks!
                    Not stuff to live down, though; rather, good times to celebrate!
                    Ellen J

                    lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                    <http://www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/> > > com

                    Find out more at our web page :http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo <http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo>