FW: ANNOUNCEMENT

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2000
      Ann Popplestone
      CCC TLC

      From: Bregje van Eekelen [SMTP:bvaneek@...]
      <mailto:[SMTP:bvaneek@...]>
      Sent: Friday, February 18, 2000 9:51 AM
      To: ANTHRO-L@...
      <mailto:ANTHRO-L@...>
      Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT

      [Please Forward]
      [Apologies for cross posting]

      SUMMERCOUSE THE VALUE OF CULTURE

      Amsterdam, 31 July - 9 August, 2000

      Introduction
      The relationship between economics and culture is an uneasy one. The
      majority of economists would reject the idea that culture is of any
      relevance to their discipline, while those from cognate disciplines who do
      treat culture seriously find economic theorizing inadequate for its
      omission. This schism notwithstanding, culture undeniably has an economic
      dimension and, it could be argued, economic behavior has a significant
      cultural dimension. In this fourth course on 'The Value of Culture', we aim
      to explore the interactions between culture and economics, bringing along
      the insights we have gained from three previous years. The central themes
      will be the twin concepts of 'value/s' and 'culture'. The course involves
      not only inquiry into the economic value of the arts, but also the value of
      culture in general. We will accomplish this task by importing into economic
      theorizing ideas drawn from art theory, anthropology, cultural studies,
      philosophy, the 'new rhetoric', and the post-modern critique of orthodox
      economic thinking. The lecturers represent at least three different
      philosophical and political positions: Smithian/libertarian,
      postmodern-marxist and neo-traditionalist. The consequences of these will be
      brought out in several debates. The cultural richness of Amsterdam will
      serve as the backdrop to our discussions. The course is recommended to
      anyone working in the field of economics, cultural studies, sociology,
      anthropology, the arts, philosophy and related fields. Some background in
      economic ideas is recommended.

      Dates
      The course will begin Monday, 31 July and will end Wednesday, 9 August 2000.
      Morning sessions will begin at 9.30 a.m. and finish at 1 p.m. Afternoon
      sessions will start at 2 p.m. and conclude at 4.30 p.m.

      Language
      English

      Location
      Felix Meritis, Keizersgracht 324, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

      Fee
      NLG 1750 (EURO 795), including lunch, excursions and free access to the
      cultural program of The Amsterdam-Maastricht Summer University.

      Scholarships and tuition waivers
      Those working in academic institutions can apply for a partial tuition
      waiver of NLG 250 (EURO 114). A limited number of partial tuition waivers of
      NLG 900 (EURO 409) are available for advanced students. A limited number of
      full scholarships (covering the course fee, accommodation and meals) are
      available for participants from Central and Eastern Europe, Morocco, Turkey
      and Egypt who have a proven interest in the economics of the arts. To take
      part in the selection procedure for tuition waivers and scholarships, please
      submit a letter of motivation, a letter of recommendation, a curriculum
      vitae, and a completed application form.

      Application
      Please return the completed application form as soon as possible and not
      later than 1 July 2000 to The Amsterdam-Maastricht Summer University, P.O.
      Box 53066, 1007 RB Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Fax: + 31.20.6249368.

      Registration
      Registration will take place on Sunday, 30 July between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. in
      Felix Meritis, Keizersgracht 324, Amsterdam. At 5 p.m. the
      Amsterdam-Maastricht Summer University will offer welcoming drinks to the
      participants.

      PROGRAMME

      Monday July 31: Economics, Art and Culture

      We will begin by introducing ourselves, to discover the resources of the
      group, together with the concerns and interests that each of us brings to
      the course. This will enable us to explore the ways in which we connect to
      the main themes of the course.

      Tuesday August 1: Alternative approaches:

      The lecturers use conceptual tools and insights from rhetoric, hermeneutics,
      and post-modernism in their work to come to respectively
      Smithian/libertarian, postmodern-marxist and neo-traditional positions. We
      will explore the consequences of these approaches and positions for our
      perception of the economy in general and the world of the arts in
      particular. One of the questions concerns the importance of including the
      cultural dimension in the conversation.

      Wednesday August 2: Attention and Persuasion

      Is all science persuasion? Are markets about persuasion (think of
      advertising)? How crucial is attention in the modern economy? Drawing from
      insights in rhetoric, psychology and communication studies, we will look at
      the importance of attention and persuasion in the economy in general and
      cultural industries in particular.

      Thursday August 3: The Value of Culture

      Culture implies difference, implies distinctions, implies inclusions and
      exclusions. How does culture figure in economics? How does economics figure
      in culture? Do cultural differences matter in economic processes? If so,
      why? Discussing the role of culture in nation-state formation,
      globalizations and network-societies we will figure out where and if we find
      our stability, constructed or not.

      Friday August 4: Culture and the city: the case of Amsterdam

      What makes a city? Using Amsterdam as example, we will explore the
      formation of economic, social and cultural capital, with an emphasis on the
      latter. What makes a city attractive? Can anything be learned about an
      effective cultural policy? We will try to find out about the "other" city,
      the city that is under cover.

      Saturday August 5: Excursion (optional) and Dinner

      Sunday August 6: Free

      Monday August 7: Markets, Money and the Gift: a debate

      In the art world, agents engage in both gift-giving and monetary exchange.
      Do the modes of financing matter? Is there such thing as disvalue? Is the
      pure gift possible? Exchanging our insights and concerns with a visual
      artist/economist we will investigate how these concepts figure in the world
      of the arts. In addition we will have a debate on the vices and virtues of
      the markets.

      Tuesday August 8: Consumption (and Art)

      Are preferences given, or does consumption take over production as the focus
      of economic life? What do consumption patterns tell us about value/s and
      identity? And what do value and identity tell us about consumption? Do we
      'consume' art, and if so, is consumption of art any different from
      consuming, for example, cars or milk?

      Wednesday August 9: Values of Culture: Presentations of the Results by the
      Participants

      Today's session picks up where we began. How do the concepts and ideas
      developed in the course connect with our concerns? What have we learned
      about the relationship between value/s and culture? Do our ideas have
      practical implications for the conduct of policy in the arts, or for
      research and teaching in economics?

      Recommended readings
      Deirdre McCloskey, The Rhetoric of Economics, University of Wisconsin Press,
      1998.

      Arjo Klamer (ed.), The Value of Culture, Amsterdam University Press/
      University of Michigan Press, 1996.

      Martha Woodmansee & Mark Osteen (eds.), The New Economic Criticism. Studies
      at the Intersection of Literature and Economics, Routledge 1999.

      A collection of notes and articles will be distributed in the form of a
      reader at the beginning of the course.

      Profile of the lecturers
      Jack Amariglio is Professor of Economics at Merrimack College, US. He was
      one of the founders of the journal Rethinking Marxism and was the first
      Editor. He has written extensively on post-modernism in economics, Foucault
      and economics, and the neglect of the body in standard economic theory. He
      is currently working on a book with David Ruccio on post-modernism and
      economics.

      Deirdre McCloskey is currently Professor of the Human Sciences at the
      University of Illinois at Chicago and Visiting Professor at the Erasmus
      University Rotterdam. She has become well known for her work in economic
      history and caused a stir in the world of economists by claiming that
      economics is rhetorical. Her most recent publication is Crossing: A Memoir
      (University of Chicago Press, 1999).

      Arjo Klamer is Professor of Economics of Art and Culture at the Erasmus
      University Rotterdam. He has contributed to the rhetorical perspective on
      economics with his book Conversations with Economists. He is currently
      working on The Art of Persuasion: Essays in Cultural Economics.

      Judith Mehta is a Lecturer in Economics at the University of East Anglia.
      Her research interests include the implications of recent French philosophy
      for the conduct of economic analysis; applications of game theory and
      decision-making; and the role of culture in industrial organisation.