Re: [SACC-L] SACC profiled in the AAA Annual Report 2007

    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
      Wow, I feel disadvantaged! I haven't yet received my 2007 AAA report�
      maybe in today's mail?�but did already get an email from a university
      colleague commenting on the article and photo. I agree with Laura.
      Ann, you deserve many kudos for your active and involved presidency.
      I feel as though this past year has been a "moving and shaking"
      experience for SACC.
      Lloyd
      lloyd.miller@...

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
        Absolutely! We should also discuss the historically important vote by
        AAA in November following discussion in the General Assembly in the AAA
        meeting in San Francisco that would give SACC permanent status as a
        section along with other sections serving smaller and significant
        communities within anthropology. I am not clear as to how this issue
        came to the AAA leadership and what input we had into it, including the
        coming discussion at the General Assembly. This means, I assume, that
        our membership size will no longer be a concern for maintaining our
        section status as it has in the past. What else does it mean?

        I believe Ann Kaupp took the lead on this one, and she deserves an awful
        lot
        of credit for being an extremely active and engaged section president!

        > Have any of you heard/read/seen "Exiled," a new reality show on MTV?
        >
        > http://www.nytimes
        <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/23/arts/television/23mtv.html?ref=televi
        sion
        > com/2008/08/23/arts/television/23mtv.html?ref=television
        >
        > I caught a few minutes of it last night -- frankly, a few minutes is
        about
        all
        > I could watch. But, I know chances are that quite a few of my students

        > watched the show in its entirety, so I see a teachable opportunity
        here
        for my
        > Cultural Anthropology students.
        >
        > Anyone care to discuss this further -- perhaps a discussion that can
        be
        moved
        > to SACCommentary?
        >
        > Take care,
        > Elise
        >
        > ---
        > Elise A. Fulara
        > Anthropology Instructor, College of DuPage
        > voicemail: 630/942-2800 x 57617
        > e-mail: fulara@dupage. <mailto:fulara%40dupage.edu> edu

        ------- End of Original Message -------

      • Bob Muckle
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
          The 2007 AAA report is available on-line. From the AAA home page, go to
          'About AAA' and choose 'Annual Reports' from the drop-down menu.

          Bob

          Groups Links
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
            Thanks, Bob. That is a nice gesture, and an opportunity for our
            beloved non-community college colleagues (if they read it) to learn
            more about who and what we are.

            I don't know how many of you get the GAD (General Anthropology
            Division) section newsletter, but the latest issue has an article on
            teaching introductory anthropology by a university professor who
            becomes so disenchanted with her undergraduate students that she goes
            to teaching only graduate students. Then she goes "undercover" and
            spends a year as a freshman so she can do fieldwork among
            undergraduates to understand them better. She does learn much about
            them, goes back to teaching introductory anthropology and shares some
            of the ways her teaching has changed as a result of her experience.

            I recommend the article; her insights are worth reading. However,
            much of what she learned is what most of us learned by teaching in
            community colleges. I think the article reflects some of the
            differences in perspective between teachers in universities and
            community colleges. I have it in a PDF format but can't send it to
            this listserv. If any of you want the article, email me and I'll
            send it to you individually.

            Lloyd
            lloyd.miller@...

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
              I believe the following organizations have addressed this new movie:

              The National Center for Science Education (NCSE)
              http://www.natcenscied.org; and the National Science Teachers
              Association

              http://www.nsta.org/ <http://www.nsta.org/> They also have resources
              on evolution including frequently asked questions and answers at
              http://www.nsta.org/publications/evolution.aspx#qanda

              ________________________________

[...]

              e-mail: fulara@... <mailto:fulara%40dupage.edu>

            • kent morris
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
                also check out "My Freshman Year" by Rebekah Nathan--another anthro
                professor...
                Thanks, Bob. That is a nice gesture, and an opportunity for our
                beloved non-community college colleagues (if they read it) to learn
                more about who and what we are.

                I don't know how many of you get the GAD (General Anthropology
                Division) section newsletter, but the latest issue has an article on
                teaching introductory anthropology by a university professor who
                becomes so disenchanted with her undergraduate students that she goes
                to teaching only graduate students. Then she goes "undercover" and
                spends a year as a freshman so she can do fieldwork among
                undergraduates to understand them better. She does learn much about
                them, goes back to teaching introductory anthropology and shares some
                of the ways her teaching has changed as a result of her experience.

                I recommend the article; her insights are worth reading. However,
                much of what she learned is what most of us learned by teaching in
                community colleges. I think the article reflects some of the
                differences in perspective between teachers in universities and
                community colleges. I have it in a PDF format but can't send it to
                this listserv. If any of you want the article, email me and I'll
                send it to you individually.

                Lloyd
                lloyd.miller@...

                On Sep 3, 2008, at 10:26 AM, Bob Muckle wrote:

                > The 2007 AAA report is available on-line. From the AAA home page,
                > go to
                > 'About AAA' and choose 'Annual Reports' from the drop-down menu.
                >
                > Bob

                > Wow, I feel disadvantaged! I haven't yet received my 2007 AAA
                > report-
                > maybe in today's mail?-but did already get an email from a university
                >
                > colleague commenting on the article and photo. I agree with Laura.
                > Ann, you deserve many kudos for your active and involved presidency.
                >
                > I feel as though this past year has been a "moving and shaking"
                > experience for SACC.
                > Lloyd
                > lloyd.miller@...
                >
                > On Sep 3, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Laura Gonzalez wrote:
                >
                > > I believe Ann Kaupp took the lead on this one, and she deserves an
                > > awful lot
                > > of credit for being an extremely active and engaged section
                > president!

                Groups Links

                http://www.eset.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
                  We are family!

                  Wow, I feel disadvantaged! I haven't yet received my 2007 AAA report-
                  maybe in today's mail?-but did already get an email from a university
                  colleague commenting on the article and photo. I agree with Laura.
                  Ann, you deserve many kudos for your active and involved presidency.
                  I feel as though this past year has been a "moving and shaking"
                  experience for SACC.
                  Lloyd
                  lloyd.miller@...

                  On Sep 3, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Laura Gonzalez wrote:

                  > I believe Ann Kaupp took the lead on this one, and she deserves an
                  > awful lot
                  > of credit for being an extremely active and engaged section president!

                • Dianne Chidester
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008

                    From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
                    Behalf
                    Of Lloyd Miller
                    Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 10:12 AM
                    To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>

                    lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                    Find out more at our web page :http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo
                    <http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo> !
                    Groups Links

                  • mep1mep
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
                      I think you mean Expelled--which is the anti-evolution movie not Exiled which is the MTV television series.

                      By the way, everyone.  I asked two of my classes today and about one third to one half of the class had seen at least parts of the MTV series, Exiled--so, they are watching it.

                      Pam

                      ____________ _________ _________ __

[...]

                      e-mail: fulara@dupage. edu <mailto:fulara% 40dupage. edu>

                    • Johnson, Ellen C. K.
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
                        I agree, Dianne. There have been and are many, many great SACC folks!
                        Not stuff to live down, though; rather, good times to celebrate!
                        Ellen J

                        lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                        <http://www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/> > > com

                        Find out more at our web page :http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo <http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo>