Exiled

  • Fulara, Elise
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 2 2:13 PM
      Hi all,

      Have any of you heard/read/seen "Exiled," a new reality show on MTV?

      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/23/arts/television/23mtv.html?ref=television

      I caught a few minutes of it last night -- frankly, a few minutes is about all I could watch. But, I know chances are that quite a few of my students watched the show in its entirety, so I see a teachable opportunity here for my Cultural Anthropology students.

      Anyone care to discuss this further -- perhaps a discussion that can be moved to SACCommentary?

      Take care,
      Elise

      ---
      Elise A. Fulara
      Anthropology Instructor, College of DuPage
      voicemail: 630/942-2800 x 57617
      e-mail: fulara@...

    • anthropmor@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 2 2:55 PM
        I'm not fond of the idea that other cultures and countries are a punishment...I guess what bothers me most about this is that the image that will go abroad of us is spoiled, stupid and lazy.? They sure are not kidding when they say they "areen't National Geographic" or social studies.
        ? No Kidding.
        Mike Pavlik
        ?

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 2 5:51 PM
          Dear all--I just got my copy of the 2007 annual report for AAA and SACC is the lone
          Section profiled. It really is a very nice write up on page 14. "For a relatively
          small section of the AAA, SACC offers sseveral venues of communication to addess these
          andother items of importance to it membership. The section prrints a newsletter,
          Teaching Anthropology:SACC Notes, holds annual meetings and maintains an active
          listserv and website..." Although some minor errors, they did a pretty good job plus
          listing all of the officers including the regional VPs. I am not exactly sure who
          wrote this up, but the picture (SACCrs in front of the White House) and description
          are great promotion for our section.

          Mel Johnson
          Treasurer

          > Have any of you heard/read/seen "Exiled," a new reality show on MTV?
          >
          > http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/23/arts/television/23mtv.html?ref=television
          >
          > I caught a few minutes of it last night -- frankly, a few minutes is about all
          > I could watch. But, I know chances are that quite a few of my students
          > watched the show in its entirety, so I see a teachable opportunity here for my
          > Cultural Anthropology students.
          >
          > Anyone care to discuss this further -- perhaps a discussion that can be moved
          > to SACCommentary?
          >
          > Take care,
          > Elise
          >
          > ---
          > Elise A. Fulara
          > Anthropology Instructor, College of DuPage
          > voicemail: 630/942-2800 x 57617
          > e-mail: fulara@...

          ------- End of Original Message -------
        • mep1mep
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 2 6:32 PM
            Well, I get just as cranky about "saving" the "other" or using them for you own personal transformation as any other Anthropologist but I will say our students will be watching.  My 18 year old, who has come and gone from Africa her whole life, was glued to the Maasai episode, having watched that Sweet 16 show with gleeful horror all last year.  She had fun with it.  MTV is throwing a powerful array of NGO support behind it, as you can see on its web site:

            http://think.mtv.com/Campaigns/exiled

            Guess, I will put in on my blog.  I wish I could make peace with it.  As you say, its a great opportunity for a teachable moment.  Maybe we could compare notes during the coming semester.  I will ask my students what they make of it.

            Pam

            www.teachinganthropology.blogspot.com

            e-mail: fulara@dupage. edu

              > Have any of you heard/read/seen "Exiled," a new reality show on MTV?
              >
              > http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/23/arts/television/23mtv.html?ref=television
              >
              > I caught a few minutes of it last night -- frankly, a few minutes is about all
              > I could watch. But, I know chances are that quite a few of my students
              > watched the show in its entirety, so I see a teachable opportunity here for my
              > Cultural Anthropology students.
              >
              > Anyone care to discuss this further -- perhaps a discussion that can be moved
              > to SACCommentary?
              >
              > Take care,
              > Elise
              >
              > ---
              > Elise A. Fulara
              > Anthropology Instructor, College of DuPage
              > voicemail: 630/942-2800 x 57617
              > e-mail: fulara@...

              ------- End of Original Message -------

            • Laura Gonzalez
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 3 6:59 AM
                I believe Ann Kaupp took the lead on this one, and she deserves an awful lot
                of credit for being an extremely active and engaged section president!

                I sense our SACC family has again gained much from the good work of Lloyd
                Miller, as well as the new creative leadership of Laura Gonzalez, with Ann
                Popplestone always backing us up when we falter. Thank you all. SACCers who
                have not participated yet in a meeting or taken a leadership role: we need
                you to carry that torch so important for our wing of the anthro community.
                While I am at it, will those of you who offered to join the new SACC Working
                Group to advise the Anthropology Education Committee, please email me at:
                mlewine@wowway. <mailto:mlewine%40wowway.com> com or mark.lewine@
                <mailto:mark.lewine%40tri-c.edu> tri-c.edu so that I can send you

                ------- End of Original Message -------

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 3 7:12 AM
                  Wow, I feel disadvantaged! I haven't yet received my 2007 AAA report�
                  maybe in today's mail?�but did already get an email from a university
                  colleague commenting on the article and photo. I agree with Laura.
                  Ann, you deserve many kudos for your active and involved presidency.
                  I feel as though this past year has been a "moving and shaking"
                  experience for SACC.
                  Lloyd
                  lloyd.miller@...

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 3 8:25 AM
                    Absolutely! We should also discuss the historically important vote by
                    AAA in November following discussion in the General Assembly in the AAA
                    meeting in San Francisco that would give SACC permanent status as a
                    section along with other sections serving smaller and significant
                    communities within anthropology. I am not clear as to how this issue
                    came to the AAA leadership and what input we had into it, including the
                    coming discussion at the General Assembly. This means, I assume, that
                    our membership size will no longer be a concern for maintaining our
                    section status as it has in the past. What else does it mean?

                    I believe Ann Kaupp took the lead on this one, and she deserves an awful
                    lot
                    of credit for being an extremely active and engaged section president!

                    > Have any of you heard/read/seen "Exiled," a new reality show on MTV?
                    >
                    > http://www.nytimes
                    <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/23/arts/television/23mtv.html?ref=televi
                    sion
                    > com/2008/08/23/arts/television/23mtv.html?ref=television
                    >
                    > I caught a few minutes of it last night -- frankly, a few minutes is
                    about
                    all
                    > I could watch. But, I know chances are that quite a few of my students

                    > watched the show in its entirety, so I see a teachable opportunity
                    here
                    for my
                    > Cultural Anthropology students.
                    >
                    > Anyone care to discuss this further -- perhaps a discussion that can
                    be
                    moved
                    > to SACCommentary?
                    >
                    > Take care,
                    > Elise
                    >
                    > ---
                    > Elise A. Fulara
                    > Anthropology Instructor, College of DuPage
                    > voicemail: 630/942-2800 x 57617
                    > e-mail: fulara@dupage. <mailto:fulara%40dupage.edu> edu

                    ------- End of Original Message -------

                  • Bob Muckle
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 3 8:26 AM
                      The 2007 AAA report is available on-line. From the AAA home page, go to
                      'About AAA' and choose 'Annual Reports' from the drop-down menu.

                      Bob

                      Groups Links
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 3 8:57 AM
                        Thanks, Bob. That is a nice gesture, and an opportunity for our
                        beloved non-community college colleagues (if they read it) to learn
                        more about who and what we are.

                        I don't know how many of you get the GAD (General Anthropology
                        Division) section newsletter, but the latest issue has an article on
                        teaching introductory anthropology by a university professor who
                        becomes so disenchanted with her undergraduate students that she goes
                        to teaching only graduate students. Then she goes "undercover" and
                        spends a year as a freshman so she can do fieldwork among
                        undergraduates to understand them better. She does learn much about
                        them, goes back to teaching introductory anthropology and shares some
                        of the ways her teaching has changed as a result of her experience.

                        I recommend the article; her insights are worth reading. However,
                        much of what she learned is what most of us learned by teaching in
                        community colleges. I think the article reflects some of the
                        differences in perspective between teachers in universities and
                        community colleges. I have it in a PDF format but can't send it to
                        this listserv. If any of you want the article, email me and I'll
                        send it to you individually.

                        Lloyd
                        lloyd.miller@...

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 3 12:38 PM
                          I believe the following organizations have addressed this new movie:

                          The National Center for Science Education (NCSE)
                          http://www.natcenscied.org; and the National Science Teachers
                          Association

                          http://www.nsta.org/ <http://www.nsta.org/> They also have resources
                          on evolution including frequently asked questions and answers at
                          http://www.nsta.org/publications/evolution.aspx#qanda

                          ________________________________

[...]

                          e-mail: fulara@... <mailto:fulara%40dupage.edu>

                        • kent morris
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 3 12:48 PM
                            also check out "My Freshman Year" by Rebekah Nathan--another anthro
                            professor...
                            Thanks, Bob. That is a nice gesture, and an opportunity for our
                            beloved non-community college colleagues (if they read it) to learn
                            more about who and what we are.

                            I don't know how many of you get the GAD (General Anthropology
                            Division) section newsletter, but the latest issue has an article on
                            teaching introductory anthropology by a university professor who
                            becomes so disenchanted with her undergraduate students that she goes
                            to teaching only graduate students. Then she goes "undercover" and
                            spends a year as a freshman so she can do fieldwork among
                            undergraduates to understand them better. She does learn much about
                            them, goes back to teaching introductory anthropology and shares some
                            of the ways her teaching has changed as a result of her experience.

                            I recommend the article; her insights are worth reading. However,
                            much of what she learned is what most of us learned by teaching in
                            community colleges. I think the article reflects some of the
                            differences in perspective between teachers in universities and
                            community colleges. I have it in a PDF format but can't send it to
                            this listserv. If any of you want the article, email me and I'll
                            send it to you individually.

                            Lloyd
                            lloyd.miller@...

                            On Sep 3, 2008, at 10:26 AM, Bob Muckle wrote:

                            > The 2007 AAA report is available on-line. From the AAA home page,
                            > go to
                            > 'About AAA' and choose 'Annual Reports' from the drop-down menu.
                            >
                            > Bob

                            > Wow, I feel disadvantaged! I haven't yet received my 2007 AAA
                            > report-
                            > maybe in today's mail?-but did already get an email from a university
                            >
                            > colleague commenting on the article and photo. I agree with Laura.
                            > Ann, you deserve many kudos for your active and involved presidency.
                            >
                            > I feel as though this past year has been a "moving and shaking"
                            > experience for SACC.
                            > Lloyd
                            > lloyd.miller@...
                            >
                            > On Sep 3, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Laura Gonzalez wrote:
                            >
                            > > I believe Ann Kaupp took the lead on this one, and she deserves an
                            > > awful lot
                            > > of credit for being an extremely active and engaged section
                            > president!

                            Groups Links

                            http://www.eset.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 3 1:27 PM
                              We are family!

                              Wow, I feel disadvantaged! I haven't yet received my 2007 AAA report-
                              maybe in today's mail?-but did already get an email from a university
                              colleague commenting on the article and photo. I agree with Laura.
                              Ann, you deserve many kudos for your active and involved presidency.
                              I feel as though this past year has been a "moving and shaking"
                              experience for SACC.
                              Lloyd
                              lloyd.miller@...

                              On Sep 3, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Laura Gonzalez wrote:

                              > I believe Ann Kaupp took the lead on this one, and she deserves an
                              > awful lot
                              > of credit for being an extremely active and engaged section president!

                            • Dianne Chidester
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 3 2:42 PM

                                From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
                                Behalf
                                Of Lloyd Miller
                                Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 10:12 AM
                                To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>

                                lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                                Find out more at our web page :http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo

                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 3 7:25 PM
                                  I think you mean Expelled--which is the anti-evolution movie not Exiled which is the MTV television series.

                                  By the way, everyone.  I asked two of my classes today and about one third to one half of the class had seen at least parts of the MTV series, Exiled--so, they are watching it.

                                  Pam

                                  ____________ _________ _________ __

[...]

                                  e-mail: fulara@dupage. edu <mailto:fulara% 40dupage. edu>

                                • Johnson, Ellen C. K.
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 3 7:57 PM
                                    I agree, Dianne. There have been and are many, many great SACC folks!
                                    Not stuff to live down, though; rather, good times to celebrate!
                                    Ellen J

                                    lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                                    <http://www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/> > > com

                                    Find out more at our web page :http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo <http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc/Yahoo>