Re: Anthropology News Incarceration Issue

  • Barry Kass
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 29, 2008
      --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, George Thomas <broruprecht@...> wrote:
      >Hello George,
      I had the experience many years ago of teaching
      a course in Cultural Anthropology for several semesters at Otisville
      Federal Prison in Otisville, NY. through Marist College. As I think
      about that experience, the best I can say to you is that I had an
      opportunity to interact over time with a variety of people who I
      otherwise never would have gotten to meet in life: people from "the
      ghetto", drug lords from Columbia, big-time criminals of one sort or
      another, etc. These classes filled with such individuals certainly
      made for some interesting discussions in cultural anthropology. In a
      prison class, at least you would have a diversity of students that you
      could never replicate in an 'ordinary' class at the Community College.
      So, in this sense I recommend the experience!
      Regards,
      Barry Kass

      > This comes out at an unusual time. I'm busy procrastinating over a
      job teaching intro anthro to classes at Gatesville Prison. I believe
      I would have to enjoy a bit of time teaching in a more conventional
      setting before plunging into this kind of situation. They assure me
      that the classes are comprised of responsive, intelligent, (even
      "articulate" and "clean!") students (sorry, must cancel that run for
      dog catcher now), and I believe them. As a matter of fact, the
      possibility exists that the prison class experience would be
      appropriate as a test run for my preferred "conventional" teaching
      experience.
      > 100-mile round-trip commuting for one class will be the other
      factor killing this opportunity, if indeed it is one.