Re: [SACC-L] Re: Anthropology News Incarceration Issue

  • Kip Waldo
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 29 7:20 AM
      Hi George,

      I taught a class in a prison in Michigan when I was in graduate school. It was a very interesting and engaging experience. The only problem we, there were two of us, encountered was the level of literacy. But I encounter that in my classes now. Everyone was very engaged, interested to learn more about the world and gey on a different track. I find a similar situation with students in my classes who are on a day release program or have just gotten out.

      A friend of mine started the library program here in Alameda county. They take books to folks in the county jail. The program still operates and there are voracious readers as well as those who approach reading with a great deal of uncertainty. But with the right suggestions and encouragement, the tentative ones often become avid readers and are interested in talking about what they are reading. Unfortunately the librarians don't have a lot of time for that.

      We have people at our college who teach in various facilities as well. One guy I know taught photoshop in the Federal women's prison and had a great experience.

      Good luck with this. The commute sounds a bit daunting.

      kip

      >>> mep1mep <mep1mep@...> 08/28/08 11:52 AM >>>
      Hi George,
      I have a friend who has taught Sociology at one of the prison's outside of Houston for quite a few years now. I could send you her email, separately, if you like. She has taught a vast array of individuals to hear her talk about it--in for all kinds of reasons, with all levels of intelligence. She has always consistently maintains that they read every single thing you give them because of the large amount of free time and boredom they have. I have always envied her that. :-)
      Let me know if you want that email. She'd be more than happy to answer; she does presentations about her experiences all the time.
      Pam
      www.teachinganthropology.blogspot.com

      From: Lloyd Miller

      Message
      1. Fwd: Anthropology News Incarceration Issue
      Posted by: "Lloyd Miller" lloyd.miller@ mchsi.com
      Date: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:21 am ((PDT))

      Begin forwarded message:

      > From: Dinah Winnick
      > Date: August 27, 2008 12:18:40 PM CDT
      > To: Dinah Winnick
      > Subject: Anthropology News Incarceration Issue
      >
      > Dear Contributing Editors,
      > Anthropology News welcomes proposals for our upcoming (January 2009)
      > thematic issue on incarceration. All proposals related to this theme
      > will be considered for our In Focus Commentary, Field Notes and
      > other sections. Potential topics include, among others:
      >
      > Prison industries
      > Prison overcrowding
      > Reentry/reintegrati on
      > Torture and interrogation
      > Extradition/ rendition
      > Immigrant detention
      > Political imprisonment
      > Psychiatric confinement
      > Prison power structures and social networks
      > Expressions and limits of state authority
      >
      > We are also particularly interested in receiving Teaching Strategies
      > proposals from anthropologists with experience teaching in prison
      > environments.
      >
      > To participate in this thematic issue, email a 300 word proposal and
      > 50-100 word author bio to Anthropology News editor Dinah Winnick by
      > September 25. Proposals for photo essays should also include five
      > high resolution photographs, each with a photo caption and credit.
      > Selected authors will be invited to submit articles of 1000-1400
      > words (for commentaries) or 400-1000 words (for other content). See
      > our website for details.
      >
      > Please spread the word about this opportunity among your colleagues
      > and students.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Dinah Winnick
      >
      > Dinah Winnick
      > Associate Managing Editor, Anthropology News
      > American Anthropological Association
      > 2200 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 600
      > Arlington, VA 22201
      > 703.528.1902 ext. 3005
      > dwinnick@aaanet. org

      Messages in this topic (1)

      Find out more at our web page :http://webs. anokaramsey. edu/sacc/

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Barry Kass
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 29 9:56 AM
        --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, George Thomas <broruprecht@...> wrote:
        >Hello George,
        I had the experience many years ago of teaching
        a course in Cultural Anthropology for several semesters at Otisville
        Federal Prison in Otisville, NY. through Marist College. As I think
        about that experience, the best I can say to you is that I had an
        opportunity to interact over time with a variety of people who I
        otherwise never would have gotten to meet in life: people from "the
        ghetto", drug lords from Columbia, big-time criminals of one sort or
        another, etc. These classes filled with such individuals certainly
        made for some interesting discussions in cultural anthropology. In a
        prison class, at least you would have a diversity of students that you
        could never replicate in an 'ordinary' class at the Community College.
        So, in this sense I recommend the experience!
        Regards,
        Barry Kass