RE: [SACC-L] Physical Anthropology and Anatomy

  • Gilliland, Mary
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 28, 2008
      Pima Community College is a multi-campus college. The West Campus,
      where Anthropology is strongest, has a 4-field Anthro program, with a
      full-time Cultural/Linguistic person, a full-time Archaeology person and
      a full-time Bio Anthro person. But no one in Anthro teaches A & P.

      We also have a HUGE Nursing program, and in support of that we have 2
      Biology faculty members hired specifically to teach Anatomy and
      Physiology. We also hire quite a few adjuncts to supplement the A & P
      teaching. In addition, we have multiple semesters of A & P.

      We have an Intro to Biology for Health Sciences, which has parts of the
      Anatomy & Physiology content, slowed down, as an intro. We have a
      second Intro level class for some of the Health Related programs that
      includes more Anatomy, less Physiology, and some other aspects of
      Biology that pertain to those programs. Then we have a regular Anatomy
      and Physiology I and II, and Nursing and some HRP students take both
      courses. Finally we have an A & P review, because our Nursing students
      usually take these classes as pre-requisites, and then need to bone up
      when they are finally into the Nursing classes, which may be 2 years or
      more after finishing Anatomy and Physiology.

      SO... a long message to say that Anthropology does not have a hand in
      any of this, but we do teach Evolutionary Biology - which cross-lists
      with Biology, and a core course in Biological Anthropology which
      transfers directly to the University of Arizona as a sophomore level
      class.

      Mary Kay Gilliland

      Pima Comm. College

      Tucson, AZ