Re: [SACC-L] Physical Anthropology and Anatomy

  • rob edwards
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 28, 2008
      Cabrillo has a PhD in Physical Anthropology, Robin Mcfarland, teaching
      Anatomy and Human Physiology.

      anthropmor@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 8/26/2008 1:39:54 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      > stein39@... <mailto:stein39%40att.net> writes:
      >
      > Do any of you have physical anthropologists teaching anatomy on your
      > campus
      > or biologists teaching physical anthropology? Are there any joint
      > projects
      > between anthropology and biology on your campus, such as cross listing of
      > courses, etc.?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > It was always cross listed at UIC ( University of Illinois, Chicago) and
      > Jack Prost taught it for years.
      > Mike Pavlik
      >
      > **************It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your
      > travel
      > deal here.
      > (http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047
      > <http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047>)

    • Gilliland, Mary
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 28, 2008
        Pima Community College is a multi-campus college. The West Campus,
        where Anthropology is strongest, has a 4-field Anthro program, with a
        full-time Cultural/Linguistic person, a full-time Archaeology person and
        a full-time Bio Anthro person. But no one in Anthro teaches A & P.

        We also have a HUGE Nursing program, and in support of that we have 2
        Biology faculty members hired specifically to teach Anatomy and
        Physiology. We also hire quite a few adjuncts to supplement the A & P
        teaching. In addition, we have multiple semesters of A & P.

        We have an Intro to Biology for Health Sciences, which has parts of the
        Anatomy & Physiology content, slowed down, as an intro. We have a
        second Intro level class for some of the Health Related programs that
        includes more Anatomy, less Physiology, and some other aspects of
        Biology that pertain to those programs. Then we have a regular Anatomy
        and Physiology I and II, and Nursing and some HRP students take both
        courses. Finally we have an A & P review, because our Nursing students
        usually take these classes as pre-requisites, and then need to bone up
        when they are finally into the Nursing classes, which may be 2 years or
        more after finishing Anatomy and Physiology.

        SO... a long message to say that Anthropology does not have a hand in
        any of this, but we do teach Evolutionary Biology - which cross-lists
        with Biology, and a core course in Biological Anthropology which
        transfers directly to the University of Arizona as a sophomore level
        class.

        Mary Kay Gilliland

        Pima Comm. College

        Tucson, AZ