RE: [SACC-L] Physical Anthropology and Anatomy

  • Erik Ozolins
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 26, 2008
      Hi Phil,

      At my current college we do not have any crossover, but at the community
      college I taught at in Albuquerque, many of the Adjunct A&P Instructors
      were Anthropologists rather than Biologists (for the same reason you
      stated) and the full-time A&P instructors actually preferred hiring the
      bioanthropologists. I am not sure if that is still the case but it
      certainly was 6 years ago.

      Erik

      Erik Ozolins

      Honors Enrichment Program Director

      Associate Professor and Chair

      Department of Anthropology

      Mt. San Jacinto College

      28237 La Piedra Rd.

      Menifee, CA 92584

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2008
        I teach a multi-section A&P course at UW-Milwaukee in the Biological
        Sciences Department. We have 816 students enrolled in 34 lab sections. I
        am a bioanthropologist hired specifically because of my gross anatomy
        background. Six of the 19 TAs are anthropology graduate students, and I
        am about to hire a 7th. My summer replacement was another physical
        anthropologist with a specialty in forensics.

        We teach the A&P course as a service course --- a natural sciences lab
        course that is a foundation for health sciences, nursing, athletic
        training, pre-professional, and a few other programs. However, our
        department (as many contemporary biology departments) has no
        concentration in gross anatomy (human or comparative) for our graduate
        students. So, if they didn't get it as undergrads, they are not into it
        as graduate students. Our own grad students are well prepared for the
        cellular and biochemical parts of the course, but not the
        muscles-bones-joints (which is about 40% of the first semester).

        My advice to anthro graduate students and soon-to-be teachers would be
        to get up to speed on cellular stuff and basic biochemistry; that is the
        stuff that mainstream bio departments are doing on their own. If you
        know that stuff and can add it to your knowledge of
        muscles-bones-joints-nerves, then you fit the bill.

        Of course, the one thing that seals it is to have ONE anthro do the
        course ONE time and then it is a lock.

        Anj Petto

        --
        Andrew J Petto, PhD
        Senior Lecturer

        *************
        http://www.uwm.edu/~ajpetto/scc2.htm
        *************

        "There is no word in the language that I revere more than teacher. None.
        My heart sings when a kid refers to me as his teacher and it always has."

        -- Pat Conroy
        The Prince of Tides
      • rob edwards
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 28, 2008
          Cabrillo has a PhD in Physical Anthropology, Robin Mcfarland, teaching
          Anatomy and Human Physiology.

          anthropmor@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 8/26/2008 1:39:54 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
          > stein39@... <mailto:stein39%40att.net> writes:
          >
          > Do any of you have physical anthropologists teaching anatomy on your
          > campus
          > or biologists teaching physical anthropology? Are there any joint
          > projects
          > between anthropology and biology on your campus, such as cross listing of
          > courses, etc.?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > It was always cross listed at UIC ( University of Illinois, Chicago) and
          > Jack Prost taught it for years.
          > Mike Pavlik
          >
          > **************It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your
          > travel
          > deal here.
          > (http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047
          > <http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047>)

        • Gilliland, Mary
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 28, 2008
            Pima Community College is a multi-campus college. The West Campus,
            where Anthropology is strongest, has a 4-field Anthro program, with a
            full-time Cultural/Linguistic person, a full-time Archaeology person and
            a full-time Bio Anthro person. But no one in Anthro teaches A & P.

            We also have a HUGE Nursing program, and in support of that we have 2
            Biology faculty members hired specifically to teach Anatomy and
            Physiology. We also hire quite a few adjuncts to supplement the A & P
            teaching. In addition, we have multiple semesters of A & P.

            We have an Intro to Biology for Health Sciences, which has parts of the
            Anatomy & Physiology content, slowed down, as an intro. We have a
            second Intro level class for some of the Health Related programs that
            includes more Anatomy, less Physiology, and some other aspects of
            Biology that pertain to those programs. Then we have a regular Anatomy
            and Physiology I and II, and Nursing and some HRP students take both
            courses. Finally we have an A & P review, because our Nursing students
            usually take these classes as pre-requisites, and then need to bone up
            when they are finally into the Nursing classes, which may be 2 years or
            more after finishing Anatomy and Physiology.

            SO... a long message to say that Anthropology does not have a hand in
            any of this, but we do teach Evolutionary Biology - which cross-lists
            with Biology, and a core course in Biological Anthropology which
            transfers directly to the University of Arizona as a sophomore level
            class.

            Mary Kay Gilliland

            Pima Comm. College

            Tucson, AZ