Physical Anthropology and Anatomy

  • Philip Stein
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 26, 2008
      I learned yesterday that our Life Sciences Department is having problems finding instructors to teach Anatomy. It seems that medical students are no longer taking gross anatomy and are picking up their anatomy piecemeal in other courses. What anatomy there is now in our local med schools is being taught by physical anthropologists. Thus the Life Sciences Department is looking to hire part-time physical anthropologists to teach anatomy. We are fortunate in that we get along with our biologists and perhaps there are opportunities for some joint ventures.

      Do any of you have physical anthropologists teaching anatomy on your campus or biologists teaching physical anthropology? Are there any joint projects between anthropology and biology on your campus, such as cross listing of courses, etc.?

      Thanks,

      Phil

    • anthropmor@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2008
        In a message dated 8/26/2008 1:39:54 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
        stein39@... writes:

        Do any of you have physical anthropologists teaching anatomy on your campus
        or biologists teaching physical anthropology? Are there any joint projects
        between anthropology and biology on your campus, such as cross listing of
        courses, etc.?

        Thanks,

        It was always cross listed at UIC ( University of Illinois, Chicago) and
        Jack Prost taught it for years.
        Mike Pavlik

        deal here.

      • Erik Ozolins
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 26, 2008
          Hi Phil,

          At my current college we do not have any crossover, but at the community
          college I taught at in Albuquerque, many of the Adjunct A&P Instructors
          were Anthropologists rather than Biologists (for the same reason you
          stated) and the full-time A&P instructors actually preferred hiring the
          bioanthropologists. I am not sure if that is still the case but it
          certainly was 6 years ago.

          Erik

          Erik Ozolins

          Honors Enrichment Program Director

          Associate Professor and Chair

          Department of Anthropology

          Mt. San Jacinto College

          28237 La Piedra Rd.

          Menifee, CA 92584

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 26, 2008
            I teach a multi-section A&P course at UW-Milwaukee in the Biological
            Sciences Department. We have 816 students enrolled in 34 lab sections. I
            am a bioanthropologist hired specifically because of my gross anatomy
            background. Six of the 19 TAs are anthropology graduate students, and I
            am about to hire a 7th. My summer replacement was another physical
            anthropologist with a specialty in forensics.

            We teach the A&P course as a service course --- a natural sciences lab
            course that is a foundation for health sciences, nursing, athletic
            training, pre-professional, and a few other programs. However, our
            department (as many contemporary biology departments) has no
            concentration in gross anatomy (human or comparative) for our graduate
            students. So, if they didn't get it as undergrads, they are not into it
            as graduate students. Our own grad students are well prepared for the
            cellular and biochemical parts of the course, but not the
            muscles-bones-joints (which is about 40% of the first semester).

            My advice to anthro graduate students and soon-to-be teachers would be
            to get up to speed on cellular stuff and basic biochemistry; that is the
            stuff that mainstream bio departments are doing on their own. If you
            know that stuff and can add it to your knowledge of
            muscles-bones-joints-nerves, then you fit the bill.

            Of course, the one thing that seals it is to have ONE anthro do the
            course ONE time and then it is a lock.

            Anj Petto

            --
            Andrew J Petto, PhD
            Senior Lecturer

            *************
            http://www.uwm.edu/~ajpetto/scc2.htm
            *************

            "There is no word in the language that I revere more than teacher. None.
            My heart sings when a kid refers to me as his teacher and it always has."

            -- Pat Conroy
            The Prince of Tides
          • rob edwards
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 28, 2008
              Cabrillo has a PhD in Physical Anthropology, Robin Mcfarland, teaching
              Anatomy and Human Physiology.

              anthropmor@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 8/26/2008 1:39:54 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
              > stein39@... <mailto:stein39%40att.net> writes:
              >
              > Do any of you have physical anthropologists teaching anatomy on your
              > campus
              > or biologists teaching physical anthropology? Are there any joint
              > projects
              > between anthropology and biology on your campus, such as cross listing of
              > courses, etc.?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > It was always cross listed at UIC ( University of Illinois, Chicago) and
              > Jack Prost taught it for years.
              > Mike Pavlik
              >
              > **************It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your
              > travel
              > deal here.
              > (http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047
              > <http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047>)

            • Gilliland, Mary
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 28, 2008
                Pima Community College is a multi-campus college. The West Campus,
                where Anthropology is strongest, has a 4-field Anthro program, with a
                full-time Cultural/Linguistic person, a full-time Archaeology person and
                a full-time Bio Anthro person. But no one in Anthro teaches A & P.

                We also have a HUGE Nursing program, and in support of that we have 2
                Biology faculty members hired specifically to teach Anatomy and
                Physiology. We also hire quite a few adjuncts to supplement the A & P
                teaching. In addition, we have multiple semesters of A & P.

                We have an Intro to Biology for Health Sciences, which has parts of the
                Anatomy & Physiology content, slowed down, as an intro. We have a
                second Intro level class for some of the Health Related programs that
                includes more Anatomy, less Physiology, and some other aspects of
                Biology that pertain to those programs. Then we have a regular Anatomy
                and Physiology I and II, and Nursing and some HRP students take both
                courses. Finally we have an A & P review, because our Nursing students
                usually take these classes as pre-requisites, and then need to bone up
                when they are finally into the Nursing classes, which may be 2 years or
                more after finishing Anatomy and Physiology.

                SO... a long message to say that Anthropology does not have a hand in
                any of this, but we do teach Evolutionary Biology - which cross-lists
                with Biology, and a core course in Biological Anthropology which
                transfers directly to the University of Arizona as a sophomore level
                class.

                Mary Kay Gilliland

                Pima Comm. College

                Tucson, AZ