SACC Student Awards

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 14, 2008
      Dear SACC Members and Interested Educators,

      Have you been looking for an opportunity to recognize an exceptional
      student? SACC is offering two student awards, one in Academic
      Excellence and the other in Creativity, Leadership, or Community
      Service. One does not need to be a member of SACC to submit a student
      paper for the Academic Excellence Award. Application deadline for both
      awards is January 9, 2009. These monetary awards will be announced at
      the SACC annual meeting in Tucson. SACC now joins several other AAA
      sections who are offering student awards in their discipline areas. We
      look forward to hearing from you. Ann

      SACC Student Award for Academic Excellence

      intellectual creativity, originality, and quality of writing. Papers
      should be no longer than 25 double-spaced pages. Papers will be
      evaluated by the SACC Review Committee.

      Prize: $200 and registration fee waived to attend SACC 2009 Annual
      Meeting in Tucson, AZ

      Level of Study: Undergraduate in a two or four year college

      Submission Information: Faculty must submit on behalf of their
      undergraduate students research papers that relate to one of the five
      fields of anthropology (archaeology, socio-cultural, biological,
      linguistics, or applied). Faculty and students need not be SACC members.
      Papers must be submitted electronically.

      Application Submission Deadline: January 9, 2009

      Where: The winner will be announced at the SACC 2009 annual meeting in
      Tucson, AZ.

      Contact Information: Ann Kaupp, kauppa@...

      SACC Student Award for Creativity, Leadership,

      or Community Service

      an outstanding contribution to the academic or local community by
      demonstrating creativity, leadership, or community service.

      Prize: $200 and registration fee waived to attend SACC 2009 Annual
      Meeting in Tucson, AZ

      Level of Study: Undergraduate in a two or four year college

      Submission Information: Faculty must submit a written recommendation of
      no more than five pages for an exceptional student who fits the above
      criteria. Faculty must be a member of SACC.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 9, 2010
        Dear SACCers,

        Below are descriptions of our two SACC student awards. The deadline for submission is December 31, 2010. The prize for the student awards is $200 and registration waiver to attend the SACC annual meeting. This is our third year for offering these awards. No applications were received last year. We hope SACC will recognize one or two outstanding anthropology students this coming year so that we can express our appreciation and offer our support to these budding professionals.

        Awards Committee:

        Beverly Bennett
        Dianne Chidester
        Laura Gonzalez
        Nicole Ives
        Ann Kaupp, chair

        SACC Student Award for Academic Excellence

        Description: This prize recognizes excellence in student research, intellectual creativity, originality, and quality of writing. Papers will be evaluated by the SACC Review Committee.

        Prize: $200 and registration fee waived to attend SACC 2009 Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA.

        Level of Study: Undergraduate in a two or four year college

        Submission Information: Faculty must submit on behalf of undergraduate students (no more than two students) research papers that relate to one of the five fields of anthropology (archaeology, socio-cultural, biological, linguistics, or applied). Papers, sent as email attachments, should be no longer than 25 double-spaced pages. Faculty and students need not be SACC members. Papers must be submitted electronically.

        Application Submission Deadline: December 31, 2010

        Where: The winner will be announced at the SACC 2011 annual meeting in Omaha, Nebraska.

        Contact Information: Ann Kaupp, kauppa@...

        SACC Student Award for Creativity, Leadership,
        or Community Service

        Description: This prize recognizes an exceptional student who has made an outstanding contribution to the academic or local community by demonstrating creativity, leadership, or community service.

        Prize: $200 and registration fee waived to attend SACC 2010 Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA.

        Level of Study: Undergraduate in a two or four year college

        Submission Information: Faculty must submit a written recommendation, sent as an email attachment, of no more than five pages for an exceptional student who fits the above criteria. Faculty must be a member of SACC.

        Application Submission Deadline: December 31, 2010

        Where: The winner will be announced at the SACC 2011 annual meeting in Omaha, Nebraska.

        Contact Information: Ann Kaupp, kauppa@...

        P. Ann Kaupp, Head
        Anthropology Outreach Office
        National Museum of Natural History
        kauppa@...
        (202) 633-1917
        http://anthropology.si.edu/outreach/outrch1.html

      • Gilliland, Mary
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 9, 2010
          Thanks Ann. The registration fees, I take it, will be paid for Omaha?

          Mary Kay

        • lauratgonzalez
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 12, 2013
            Please consider submitting your students for our two SACC awards:

            STUDENT AWARD FOR ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE

            Description: This prize recognizes excellence in student research, intellectual creativity, originality, and quality of writing. Papers will be evaluated by the SACC Review Committee.

            Prize: $200 and registration fee waived to attend SACC 2010 Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA.

            Level of Study: Undergraduate in a two or four year college

            Submission Information: Faculty must submit on behalf of undergraduate students (no more than two students) research papers that relate to one of the five fields of anthropology (archaeology, socio-cultural, biological, linguistics, or applied). Papers, sent as email attachments, should be no longer than 25 double-spaced pages. Faculty and students need not be SACC members. Papers must be submitted electronically.

            Application Submission Deadline: January 8, 2010

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 12, 2013
              We still have the prize as registration for 2010 meetings.

              Mary Kay Gilliland
              Sent from my iPhone

[...]

            • Laura Gonzalez
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 12, 2013
                Sorry! That's what I get for posting email during the conference... I just didn't want to forget. It should say for 2014, location TBA, and will be due January 2014.

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Apr 12, 2013, at 3:01 PM, "Gilliland, Mary" <mkgilliland@...> wrote:

                > We still have the prize as registration for 2010 meetings.
                >
                > Mary Kay Gilliland
                > Sent from my iPhone
                >
                > On Apr 12, 2013, at 11:59 AM, "lauratgonzalez" <ltgonzalez@...<mailto:ltgonzalez@...>> wrote:
                >

                > Please consider submitting your students for our two SACC awards:
                >
                > STUDENT AWARD FOR ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE
                >
                > Description: This prize recognizes excellence in student research, intellectual creativity, originality, and quality of writing. Papers will be evaluated by the SACC Review Committee.
                >
                > Prize: $200 and registration fee waived to attend SACC 2010 Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA.
                >
                > Level of Study: Undergraduate in a two or four year college
                >
                > Submission Information: Faculty must submit on behalf of undergraduate students (no more than two students) research papers that relate to one of the five fields of anthropology (archaeology, socio-cultural, biological, linguistics, or applied). Papers, sent as email attachments, should be no longer than 25 double-spaced pages. Faculty and students need not be SACC members. Papers must be submitted electronically.
                >
                > Application Submission Deadline: January 8, 2010
                >
                > STUDENT AWARD FOR CREATIVITY, LEADERSHIP, OR COMMUNITY SERVICE
                >
                > Description: This prize recognizes an exceptional student who has made an outstanding contribution to the academic or local community by demonstrating creativity, leadership, or community service.
                >
                > Prize: $200 and registration fee waived to attend SACC 2010 Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA.
                >
                > Level of Study: Undergraduate in a two or four year college
                >
                > Submission Information: Faculty must submit a written recommendation, sent as an email attachment, of no more than five pages for an exceptional student who fits the above criteria. Faculty must be a member of SACC.
                >
                > Application Submission Deadline: January 8, 2010

              • Beverly Bennett
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 12, 2013
                  Hi,Laura,

                  Did you get the rest of the committee together and decide on this?  Our last awards were student awards, so I'd expected us to offer the teacher award next.

                  Thanks,
                  Beverly

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 12, 2013
                    Ok, clearly I got excited and posted information without contextualizing. We were talking about student awards at the conference and information was requested. I copied and pasted information from the website while in the business meeting. Please just take this as informational - more information about which award and when will be decided by Beverly and the awards committee when they meet.

                    Sorry for any confusion!

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 12, 2013
                      Thanks, Laura!

                      Beverly

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 13, 2013
                        Not a problem; we can sort it out. As for eating today, I will poll the crew.
                        Tim
                        Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
                        Professor of Anthropology
                        Richland College