FW: [aaaSectionPresidents] Query re AAA 2010

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 29, 2008
      FYI. I had sent out an email giving SACC members an opportunity to
      comment on the AAA's decision to meet in New Orleans. NAPA's response
      seems to express what many feel about meeting in New Orleans. Pres.
      Setha Low reminded that decisions where to hold the AAA meetings are
      made years in advance and that a new Committee on Labor Relations soon
      will be formed. Ann

      ________________________________

      Submitted by Dennis Wiedman, NAPA President, July 28, 2008

      NAPA agrees to meet in New Orleans but under protest because the AAA
      Executive Board did not follow appropriate procedure established in the
      aftermath of the San Francisco debacle. The AAA Executive Board at that
      time established a Labor Relations Commission (LRC) to advise on labor
      relations issues. The current EB voted to meet in New Orleans without
      consulting with the LRC. If this consultation procedure would have been
      followed then this call for Section positions may not have been
      necessary and the AAA would be in a stronger position to respond to
      criticisms.

      NAPA concurs with the decision of the EB regarding the location of this
      meeting because the benefits of making a tangible statement of support
      for New Orleans outweighs the lack of sufficient unionized hotels to
      house our annual conference.

      We need to recognize that there will be some unhappiness generated about
      this decision, but we need to be realistic that an insistence on
      utilizing unionized hotels, no matter what, would eliminate many cities,
      especially in the South, from consideration for future meetings. Unions
      are important, but until we live in a better world, we need to continue
      doing the best we can.

      It is in the best interests of NAPA and AAA membership to support this
      decision of the EB. There is a difference between crossing a picket line
      and utilizing a hotel that is not unionized. If there is a hotel strike
      in New Orleans at the time of the meeting, once again many of us would
      not be willing to cross the picket line.

      NAPA will be planning session and events that focus of these issues and
      concerns.

      Dennis Wiedman, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor
      Undergraduate Studies Director
      Department of Sociology and Anthropology
      11200 SW 8th Street, DM 336B
      Florida International University
      Miami, Florida 33199
      Office Phone: 305-348-2262

      Web Page: www.fiu.edu/~wiedmand

      President of NAPA: National Association for the Practice of
      Anthropology.
      A Section of the American Anthropological Association.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 29, 2008
        I cannot express my feelings as I read the following from below:

        "...we need to be realistic that an insistence on utilizing unionized hotels, no matter what, would eliminate many cities, especially in the South, from consideration for future meetings. Unions are important, but until we live in a better world, we need to continue doing the best we can."

        I am a liberal and very proud of it, but I have always questioned the decision of the AAA to shoot itself and us in the foot and prevent us from meeting in particular places because of political criteria. Of course, a decision by the AAA to hold or not hold a meeting at a particular place may have some minor influence on the local governments, but what about the impact of a small group like SACC being prevented from meeting in particular locations. Chuck, remember Chicago! Now the AAA is making an exception for itself.

        Phil

      • Melvin Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 29, 2008
          I sent the following to Phil Stein from my hotmail account. Thought I would share
          with the rest of you. Mel

          I would have to concur with Phil on this. Only probably in a more forceful fashion.
          I have lived in a "Right to Work" state nearly all of my life, and for those few years
          that I lived in states that allowed "closed shops" I have witnessed the full range of
          negativity associated with unionization. I agree there is a time and a place for
          recognition of unions in labor relations. I also agree with those situations when
          employees fully recognize the need to remain free of unions. Unionization does not
          automatically insure high standards of living, fair wages, or even living wages. Lack
          of unionization does not authomatically mean lower wages, standards of safety, or
          lower quality. I agree that often the AAA has commited much damage to itself by
          establishing policies which are not flexible enough to allow variation. Yet we are an
          organization of tremendous variation. I support the rights of those of different
          lifestyles, work affliliations, etc. I find it extremely amuzing that in its quest to
          support and recognize difference, the AAA has become very narrow and at times
          bigoted. It is probably well that I am resigning as an officer, I am finding most of
          this stuff particularly annoying and in direction conflict with my own set of values
          and standards. Maybe I am just too liberal and open.

          Mel Johnson

          Treasurer

          "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death." --Mame Dennis

          > I cannot express my feelings as I read the following from below:
          >
          > "...we need to be realistic that an insistence on utilizing unionized hotels,
          > no matter what, would eliminate many cities, especially in the South, from
          > consideration for future meetings. Unions are important, but until we live in
          > a better world, we need to continue doing the best we can."
          >
          > I am a liberal and very proud of it, but I have always questioned the
          > decision of the AAA to shoot itself and us in the foot and prevent us from
          > meeting in particular places because of political criteria. Of course, a
          > decision by the AAA to hold or not hold a meeting at a particular place may
          > have some minor influence on the local governments, but what about the impact
          > of a small group like SACC being prevented from meeting in particular
          > locations. Chuck, remember Chicago! Now the AAA is making an exception for itself.
          >
          > Phil
          >
          > "
        • Chuck Ellenbaum
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 29, 2008
            Phil

            I agree with you. I have been a union president of an Illinois Federation of Teachers local and an Illinois Education Association local. I strongly believe in fighting for issues of social justice. Unions are important but are not an end in themselves. They are a means to an end. They can become as bad as what they fight against.

            I do remember the meeting I had planned for Chicago with visits to museums and blues venues, among other things. Nonetheless the AAA said "No" because of University of Illinois's mascot. Wee couldn't meet in Chicago, but there was no direct pressure on University of Illinois or the Anthropology Department there. They had more power to change the situation than Chicago workers and merchants. It is interesting how they make an exception for themselves. "Do as I say and not as I do" tends to be a defining characteristic of a hypocrite.

            Chuck ><>
            "When beholding the beauty of the ocean skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it." Herman Melville

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 29, 2008
              I wholeheartedly agree with Phil!
              Lloyd
              lloyd.miller@...

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 29, 2008
                Gosh, I agree wholeheartedly with Mel too!
                Lloyd
                lloyd.miller@...

              • Lynch, Brian M
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 30, 2008
                  .

                  <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=126016/grpspId=1705079605/msgId=4563/stime=1217383866/nc1=3848583/nc2=5349282/nc3=4763761> There seems to be a certain degree to which the power of a union to protect and fight for the rights of workers as a whole relies on individuals looking past their individual or sub-group interests in order that those with the larger power over them (management) do not simply divide and conquer. At the same time, unions can stretch this expectation quite far, where the very individuals they are meant to protect become collateral damage of sorts, for the good of the larger order. In all of this, principled advocacy for justice and fairness takes second or third place to political strategy and the bottom line.

                  I recenlty saw a glaring example of this, where a person who worked for years for a trade union, as a non-union office worker in support of the union's functions, was treated to the same management tactics (put on part time so that health benefits and other related concerns would no longer be in consideration). All for the good of the bottom line-- no sense of operating out of the very 'justice' principles that supposedly fuel the very idea of unions. Management of the union operated, well, as management rather than as principled advocates of justice.

                  The AAA handled the SF/Atlanta situation in a lousy way-- and I registered my opinion about this when it happened. "Justice" was talked about, largely to rationalize a final decision, but this was no march to the frontlines for solidarity. I think that this current situation is another example, where people are being led by confusion and conflicting assumptions; AAA 'constituents' (i.e. members) are treated to another round of somewhat paternalistic, confused 'management' of our affairs. And certainly we are not being asked in any substantive way to weigh in on serious, collaborative considerations of justice.

                  Brian