MY APOLOGIES FOR ANY DELAYED REPLIES

  • Melvin Johnson
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 16, 2008
      Dear all--my apologies for any delayed replies to your emails. Life is unbelievably
      hectic. I will be getting not one, not two, but three new offices beginning next
      week. So you see immediately the complications. I just love university politics. I
      must summarize for you because, it really is too funny not to share.

      Beginning in the fall of 2001, Geography and Anthropology departments merged (got
      married). What follows are the events immediately leading up to and after the
      splitting (divorce) of the department which just occurred. It sounds so much like
      what happens to two people to decide that this marriage is not worth the effort.

      September 2007--The chair of Anthropology and Geography (a geographer) announces his
      resignation. (I AM UNHAPPY)
      October 2007--The other geography professors (only tenured types) announce their
      desire to sever all relations, affiliations, etc. with the anthropology faculty, so
      begin the process of negotiation for the gathering of all geographers at UNL in a
      central location, funded by three colleges and grants, governered by three deans
      (that's funny just in itself), but most important and I quote "no crazy irrational and
      bigoted anthropologists." (I WANT A DIVORCE)
      November 2007-January 2008--deans negotiate, chancellor says you will do this, deans
      then say okay, and begin the process of taking inventory. (THE COURT SAYS OKAY)
      February 2008--deans negotiate the splitting of personnel (mostly administrative types)
      and equipment (LAWYERS NEGOTIATE THE SPOILS)
      March 2008--April 2008--formal announcement that the department is split effective
      August 15th. Election or rather forcing one of the geographers to become
      chair of the "faculty" no department here, just faculty. (WE NOW ARE DIVORCED)
      May 2008--School of Natural Resources extends, somewhat forcefully, an invitation to
      move to their location on East Campus and bring the classes (most over 150 students)
      also--we can party. (A NEW RELATIONSHIP BEGINS)
      June 2008--no thank you to the invitation to move this summer and definitely no thank
      you to moving the classes (I WANT TO KEEP MY OWN PLACE, I AM NOT COMPLETELY READY FOR
      A COMMITMENT NOW)
      Later in June 2008--yes you will move the faculty, adjuncts, and graduate students to
      East Campus, you can just forget about staying on city campus--are you sure you do not
      want to move the classes to east campus (YOU HAVE NO CHOICE, YOU PROMISED, ARE YOU
      SURE YOU ARE NOT READY FOR A COMMITMENT)
      Later in June 2008--Okay we move to East Campus in two waves--faculty and adjuncts in
      July, graduate students in August. NO THANK YOU about moving the classes, we will
      lose enrollment this year and that translates into lost income for the college of arts
      and science who pays for the faculty, adjuncts, and graduate students moving from city
      campus to east campus. (OKAY, I WILL MOVE IN, BUT NO MARRIAGE)
      July 2008--Okay, we are happy that you finally see the benefits of moving the faculty,
      adjuncts, and graduate students. We can now be one happy family. Now, since you have
      only promised but not given written confirmation to the class assignments, can we have
      the adjuncts and GTAs teach other classes or no classes thus relieving and financial
      strain to the Arts and Science budget. NO WAY!!!! THANK YOU FOR THE SUGGESTION, BUT
      ITS FULL OF HOLES AND LOTS OF SHIT (NOW BEGINS THE FUN) (MAYBE I MADE A MISTAKE, THIS
      NEW RELATIONSHIP IS GETTING SCARY, AARGH!!)
      July 2008 (as of today)--What fun we are moving from spacious quarters to closets in
      the new facility that the School of Natural Resources occupies which they think is
      absolutely fabulous (their heads are in the dirt all the time, so what can you say).
      The facility is a renovated hotel. The faculty gets what were very small bedrooms of
      the hotel accommodations. The adjuncts, of which I am, get to share (2 of us) what
      was the bathroom of the hotel accommodations, oh joy. Now for those of us with classes
      on city campus, we also have two offices on city campus to share for office hours.
      (SEPARATE BUT EQUAL, HMMM IS THIS REALLY GOING TO WORK)

      Well, in the meantime--the day that I found out we were moving, no ifs ands or buts, I
      was offered a private office at Nebraska Wesleyan University in which to write my
      dissertation. All I have to do is teach one accounting class during the 13 month
      period and I get a substantial office, a new computer, paper and ink to write the
      dissertation. Needless to say, I took the offer. (I BETTER OFF THAN YOU ARE, TEE HEE)

      Now I have just divided my stuff between NWU, UNL 1 and UNL 2, and home. Needless to
      say, I am a bit frazzled, and at times confused, just where the HELL is my textbook
      for the course I am teaching today.

      Gotta love academe, everyone has such a unique understanding of the world, and
      consequently a different type or form of logic (I am not sure that is the right word,
      but the other words that come to mind are not repeatable in a public forum as this.)
      But my anthropological training allows me to observe, participate, and reflect on this
      insanity, right!?!?!

      HOPE YOU ENJOYED MY TIRADE, HAVE A GREAT DAY, AND THANKS FOR LISTENING. ALL IS
      BETTER, LIFE IS GOOD AND SOON I GO TO MY NICE HOME, MY WONDERFUL WIFE, AND A PEACEFUL
      LIFE ON THE FARM.

      Mel Johnson
      SACC Treasurer at least until 12-09

      ------- End of Original Message -------
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 16, 2008
        Oh my gosh, Mel! Whatever you think you're apologizing for, you're
        forgiven! I think your analogy to the marriage-divorce thing is
        brilliant. Would you at all consider preparing this for the next
        issue of SACC Notes? It would make a great article.
        Lloyd

      • Philip Stein

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 16, 2008
            Mel, I had to read every word even though I have a report to finish. As
            Lloyd said, your analogy is brilliant. Might make a good SACC Notes
            article. Make sure you have needed texts in each of your three offices
            and we'll all feel better. Now, please, consider getting yourself a
            message. Ann

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 16, 2008
              I agree with Ann -- this is an article, Mel, and a very amusing one at that (SACC Notes maybe?) How about a paper for our conference???

              Mary Kay Gilliland
              Pima Community College, West Campus
              206-6763

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 16, 2008
                Mel

                Don't worry about delayed replies. It sounds as if you have been going through a hellish meat-grinder. Best of luck in keeping sane under those circumstances. Your department gives new meaning to the term, "dysfunctional". Your post was brilliant.

                My thoughts and prayers are with you.

                Chuck ><>
                Charles O. Ellenbaum
                707 Shady Avenue
                Geneva, IL 60134
                Cell: 630-404-1261
                <ellenbaumbridge@...>
                "When beholding the beauty of the ocean skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it."
                Herman Melville