Re: T-SACC

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 30, 2008
      Hey, this is entirely on the subject: choices, limitations, technology and modes of transportation in one's changing society. I'll bite:
      I'd acquire a Prius if they had a pickup truck model. I have lots of hauling to do involving things that don't go well in the back of a leather-upholstered sedan.
      My classic 1968 VW bug gets 28 mpg. This was standard economy and efficiency back when normal mileage ranged from 5 to 10 mpg. Admiring passers-by gush about my fuel savings, but I regularly point out that today's Cadillacs do better.
      Right now I'm shopping around among the smaller pickups -- Chevy Colorado, Ford Ranger, etc. My last pickup was a no-frills, tiny 1993 Toyota. (Yes, fuel-savers, applause and kudos will be accepted by my publicist). The tiny German "Smart Car," due on the market next year, is intriguing. You'll recognize one if you visualize a small pickup truck with the rear axle moved forward and the load bed torched off. It can also be described as a couch with wheels and a roof. Should compete with the Prius.
      But back to regular trucks, I once shared Bob's impression (mostly from folklore) that Toyotas are great on gas and last forever. Latest research into the Toyota Tacoma unearthed a professional auto mechanic who sold his because he was disappointed with the gas mileage on the new, enlarged Tacoma (under 20 mpg), and bought a Tundra. At least Tundra marketing doesn't claim it's a fuel-saver, he said.
      A prime example of energy savings motivated by revenge.
      The shopping, astonishing war-stories and research continue. Bicycle commuting would be great if I could manage to decrease my commutation distance below 60 mi. round trip. I thoroughly enjoyed 2 and a half years of bicycle commuting while in Germany, where they seem to have mastered the art of keeping jobs closer to home (4 or 5 miles).
      Next we will consider the ox cart.
      George

      Re: T-SACC
      Posted by: "Lloyd Miller" lloyd.miller@...
      Date: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:10 pm ((PDT))

      Golly gee, some of you Prius people get better gas mileage than my
      Honda Goldwing motorcycle, even when I don't exceed speed limits.

      I bought a new car this year and seriously considered a Prius. With
      the help of Consumer Reports, I researched and compared it with a
      Honda Civic (non-hybrid). With the government hybrid rebate I would
      have done okay, but it was no longer available. So, factoring in
      initial costs and gas mileage averages among other things over a 5-
      year period, the Prius would have cost me about a thousand dollars
      more. Consequently, I replaced my beloved 2000 Honda Civic EX coup
      with a 2008 Honda Civic EX coup. It averages about 35 mpg mixed
      driving if I don't exceed speed limits. Incidentally, I've found that

      staying below 70 mph saves considerable mileage in both the bike and
      car.

      So Bob, I stand with you against any impeachment proceedings that
      might be initiated. After all, not everyone can have a Prius, and
      wouldn't it be boring if we all did? Also, if SACC doesn't support
      diversity in its ranks, what organization could be expected to do so?

      And you can also count on me for several drinks at the next SACC
      meeting. I've never hung out with many real university professors, so

      I'm looking forward to the experience.

      LLoyd

      On Jun 27, 2008, at 2:08 PM, Bob Muckle wrote:

      > With all this SACC-L gushing about the Toyota Prius, I started
      > feeling a little guilty, but not a lot. I got to thinking. First,
      > that I might be kicked out of SACC for driving a big old Suburban,
      > with the biggest engine that fits. But..I am trying to sell it. Not
      > nay takers. What a surprise. So, now I'm thinking I might just store

      > it. It might look good in a museum of the late 20th century. "In the

      > days when gas was cheaper than water." Besides I've got a pick-up
      > truck that I usually drive anyway. Now...before you start
      > impeachment proceedings to get me kicked out of SACC....the pick up
      > is a Toyota pick-up!
      >
      > So, now I'm thinking we can just buy wholly into the corporatization

      > of education in North America. Why not sell naming rights to SACC?
      > We can become T-SACC (Toyota-SACC).
      >
      > You're welcome.
      >
      > Bob

    • rob edwards
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1, 2008
        Hi all, I have enjoyed this discussion on vehicles, the adventures of
        Muckle and all. George, I would like to recommend that you look at a
        Honda Element as a vehicle that can haul a lot in a small space (42 file
        boxes in the back with seats out and still have rear visability) and
        even pull a small trailer. I have had one for over four years and am
        very satisfied. Mileage is around 20 mile/gal depending on your speed.
        Very easy to clean the "box".
        I finished my last field class (survey) last week and I am now
        officially retired although committed to assist our new hire, Dustin
        McKenzie as he jumps in next week to the field excavation class. My
        email remains the same but my Cabrillo phone will be 831-479-6727. And
        Yes Bob, I will also be glad to contribute to your alcohol problem. See
        you in AZ. Julie says hi also.

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 5, 2008

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 5, 2008
            Yes, with my urban cultures class, we are exploring social marketing with an anthropological perspective...so far, we have come up with some scary ideas to test with some ethnographic focus groups: power point presentations with 'branded' symbols relating to educational consumers; text books partly subsidized by ads thus lowering book costs to students and increasing fees to published faculty authors...faculty wearing identifiable 'brands', using identifiable 'brands' of computers, publishers, news sources, book stores, office supplies stores, etc...anything to add, capitalist pigs of the future?

            With all this SACC-L gushing about the Toyota Prius, I started feeling a little guilty, but not a lot. I got to thinking. First, that I might be kicked out of SACC for driving a big old Suburban, with the biggest engine that fits. But..I am trying to sell it. Not nay takers. What a surprise. So, now I'm thinking I might just store it. It might look good in a museum of the late 20th century. "In the days when gas was cheaper than water." Besides I've got a pick-up truck that I usually drive anyway. Now...before you start impeachment proceedings to get me kicked out of SACC....the pick up is a Toyota pick-up!

            So, now I'm thinking we can just buy wholly into the corporatization of education in North America. Why not sell naming rights to SACC? We can become T-SACC (Toyota-SACC).

            You're welcome.

          • Johnson, Ellen C. K.
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 6, 2008
              N-SACC? (Nissan-SACC?)
              I do so enjoy these fun emails.
              Ellen Johnson

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 6, 2008
                Oh gosh, around Des Moines some public buildings now have 'brand'
                names. The baseball stadium, once named to honor a beloved player, is
                now named for a leading local insurance company. Two recently built
                "civic" sports and entertainment centers are named, respectively, for
                a state grocery chain and the Wells Fargo bank. It's very Orwellian...
                Lloyd

                On Dec 5, 2008, at 11:33 PM, Mark Lewine wrote:

                > Yes, with my urban cultures class, we are exploring social marketing
                > with an anthropological perspective...so far, we have come up with
                > some scary ideas to test with some ethnographic focus groups: power
                > point presentations with 'branded' symbols relating to educational
                > consumers; text books partly subsidized by ads thus lowering book
                > costs to students and increasing fees to published faculty
                > authors...faculty wearing identifiable 'brands', using identifiable
                > 'brands' of computers, publishers, news sources, book stores, office
                > supplies stores, etc...anything to add, capitalist pigs of the future?

              • Andrew J Petto
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 6, 2008
                  You may be joking, but a math teacher in San Diego responded to budget cuts that limited his access to photocopying and paper by selling ads on his exams. It was on the CBC's As-It-Happens earlier this week!

                  Anj

                  ------------
                  Andrew J Petto, PhD
                  Senior Lecturer
                  Department of Biological Sciences
                  University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                  PO Box 413
                  Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                  414-229-6784
                  FAX: 414-229-3926
                  http://www.uwm.edu/~ajpetto

                  *************
                  http://www.uwm.edu/~ajpetto/scc2.htm
                  *************

                  -- Pat Conroy
                  The Prince of Tides

                  With all this SACC-L gushing about the Toyota Prius, I started feeling a little guilty, but not a lot. I got to thinking. First, that I might be kicked out of SACC for driving a big old Suburban, with the biggest engine that fits. But..I am trying to sell it. Not nay takers. What a surprise. So, now I'm thinking I might just store it. It might look good in a museum of the late 20th century. "In the days when gas was cheaper than water." Besides I've got a pick-up truck that I usually drive anyway. Now...before you start impeachment proceedings to get me kicked out of SACC....the pick up is a Toyota pick-up!

                  So, now I'm thinking we can just buy wholly into the corporatization of education in North America. Why not sell naming rights to SACC? We can become T-SACC (Toyota-SACC).

                  You're welcome.

                • frank lagana
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 6, 2008
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 6, 2008
                      I'm afraid we are already on the way down this very slippery slope. It makes me so uncomortable.

                      I haven't seen anything like this in anthropology, but just last week a geography colleague of mine was showing me a textbook he was thinking of using. I forget the exact title but it was published by National Geographic, in partnership, I think with Wiley. I was skimming through it, which was almost all photos, and was astounded with what appears to be advertising by National Geographic in the form of their logo featured very prominently underneath the photos. I know that National Geographic has been publishing atlases and books for K-12 for some time, but wasn't aware they were infiltrating the college and university textbook market.

                      And to add to your list....how about teaching in building or classrooms with the names of corporate sponsors on them? That makes me pretty uncomfortable.

                      Its interesting to think about where our own personal lines might be. I wonder, for example, what if Porshe, became the official car of Capilano and facuty were each given one to drive.

                      If anybody is interested, my GMC Suburban is still for sale. I'm advertising it now as a big red lawn ornament. It might make a nice Christmas decoration.

                      Bob

                      >>> "Mark Lewine" <mlewine@...> 12/05/08 9:33 PM >>>
                      Yes, with my urban cultures class, we are exploring social marketing with an anthropological perspective...so far, we have come up with some scary ideas to test with some ethnographic focus groups: power point presentations with 'branded' symbols relating to educational consumers; text books partly subsidized by ads thus lowering book costs to students and increasing fees to published faculty authors...faculty wearing identifiable 'brands', using identifiable 'brands' of computers, publishers, news sources, book stores, office supplies stores, etc...anything to add, capitalist pigs of the future?

                      With all this SACC-L gushing about the Toyota Prius, I started feeling a little guilty, but not a lot. I got to thinking. First, that I might be kicked out of SACC for driving a big old Suburban, with the biggest engine that fits. But..I am trying to sell it. Not nay takers. What a surprise. So, now I'm thinking I might just store it. It might look good in a museum of the late 20th century. "In the days when gas was cheaper than water." Besides I've got a pick-up truck that I usually drive anyway. Now...before you start impeachment proceedings to get me kicked out of SACC....the pick up is a Toyota pick-up!

                      So, now I'm thinking we can just buy wholly into the corporatization of education in North America. Why not sell naming rights to SACC? We can become T-SACC (Toyota-SACC).

                      You're welcome.

                    • Philip Stein
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 6, 2008
                        Of course we've had endowed chairs for centuries. I can see it now: "Wal-Mart Professor of Anthropology." Anyway naming rights go cheap at my college, although we have an n of 1 at present. But if someone wants to give us $100K to buy some skulls, I'll gladly put a plaque up in the classroom. It's the least we can do!

                        Phil

                        I'm afraid we are already on the way down this very slippery slope. It makes me so uncomortable.

                        I haven't seen anything like this in anthropology, but just last week a geography colleague of mine was showing me a textbook he was thinking of using. I forget the exact title but it was published by National Geographic, in partnership, I think with Wiley. I was skimming through it, which was almost all photos, and was astounded with what appears to be advertising by National Geographic in the form of their logo featured very prominently underneath the photos. I know that National Geographic has been publishing atlases and books for K-12 for some time, but wasn't aware they were infiltrating the college and university textbook market.

                        And to add to your list....how about teaching in building or classrooms with the names of corporate sponsors on them? That makes me pretty uncomfortable.

                        Its interesting to think about where our own personal lines might be. I wonder, for example, what if Porshe, became the official car of Capilano and facuty were each given one to drive.

                        If anybody is interested, my GMC Suburban is still for sale. I'm advertising it now as a big red lawn ornament. It might make a nice Christmas decoration.

                        Bob

                        >>> "Mark Lewine" <mlewine@wowway. com> 12/05/08 9:33 PM >>>
                        Yes, with my urban cultures class, we are exploring social marketing with an anthropological perspective. ..so far, we have come up with some scary ideas to test with some ethnographic focus groups: power point presentations with 'branded' symbols relating to educational consumers; text books partly subsidized by ads thus lowering book costs to students and increasing fees to published faculty authors...faculty wearing identifiable 'brands', using identifiable 'brands' of computers, publishers, news sources, book stores, office supplies stores, etc...anything to add, capitalist pigs of the future?

                        With all this SACC-L gushing about the Toyota Prius, I started feeling a little guilty, but not a lot. I got to thinking. First, that I might be kicked out of SACC for driving a big old Suburban, with the biggest engine that fits. But..I am trying to sell it. Not nay takers. What a surprise. So, now I'm thinking I might just store it. It might look good in a museum of the late 20th century. "In the days when gas was cheaper than water." Besides I've got a pick-up truck that I usually drive anyway. Now...before you start impeachment proceedings to get me kicked out of SACC....the pick up is a Toyota pick-up!

                        So, now I'm thinking we can just buy wholly into the corporatization of education in North America. Why not sell naming rights to SACC? We can become T-SACC (Toyota-SACC) .

                        You're welcome.

                        Checked by AVG.

                      • mep1mep
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 6, 2008
                          I am holding out for the Anthropologie Professor of Anthropology

                          A person has to have their standards, after all.

                          Pam

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 8, 2008
                            Remember "Enron Stadium"? Wonder what will happen as some of these
                            companies "tank"?