Re: [SACC-L] A New Anthropology Blog

  • kent morris
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2008
      part-timers make even less!!!
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: pmaack
      To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, June 30, 2008 2:07 PM
      Subject: [SACC-L] A New Anthropology Blog

      Hi, most of you don't know me. I teach Anthropology at San Jacinto
      Commmunity College on the southeast side of Houston. We have a
      system-wide enrollment of almost 30,000 students. I attended the
      University of Virginia and graduated with a B.A. in Anthropology and
      went on to get my Ph.D. in Anthropology from Northwestern
      University. Teaching at a Community College allowed me to raise my
      daughter without the extra stress of a tenure decision.

      Like most Community College instructors, my salary is not great and
      my travel money even less so--just $850 a year is all I am allowed.
      I haven't ever been able to justify the extra expense of annual
      meetings--although, I have jealously read about the SACC ones.

      I have been reading all your posts with great interest. I found the
      Student Learning Outcomes posts particularly interesting, I have to
      struggle with those on my own, being the only full-time
      Anthropologist. In the interest of sharing my frustrations (and
      joys?) in teaching the same survey courses over and over, I have
      created a blog entitled "Teaching Anthropology". I have just now
      posted it and am hoping that it will grow to a free-ranging
      discussion area for all interested parties. I would like to be able
      to discuss tips and issues with as many anthropology instructors as
      possible. I have future posts on Distance Learning, Collaborative
      learning, and new Technology planned. Please have a look and
      contribute in any way you would like. All viewpoints and suggestions
      are heartily welcome.

      The blog is here:

      http://teachinganthropology.blogspot.com/

      Thank you,