Re: [SACC-L] Fw: Key person in Education Dept. resigns over neglect of liberal arts

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2008
      Thanks for this, Frank. I had missed it. I guess this is an eternal
      argument, not to be solved in my lifetime.

      Sadly, the "education for employment" philosophy sends students the
      message that credits count more than learning. We academicians thus
      become surrounded by the "how can I get the most for the least effort"
      students, textbook publishers who encourage authors to write similar
      books to get a slice of the same, largely unimaginative market, and
      the administrative numbers crunchers (our bosses) who, lacking the
      courage to be real educational leaders, side against the "education as
      nourishment for the soul" crowd.

      As an optimist, I can hope that perhaps Ms. Jones' resignation will
      start a national dialog on the subject that will carry over into
      Barack's presidency (another optimist with hope, huh)!

      Good to hear from you, Frank. It's been a while.

      Lloyd