Re: [SACC-L] T-SACC

  • Philip Stein
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 27, 2008
      T-SACC sounds good! What we need is a corporate sponsor for our Anthropology program. Naming rights for our skeletons.

      Phil

      public transportation or a bicycle is better...
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 27, 2008
        I love T-SACC! So many other possiblities there! Say it aloud, T-SACC is proud! Sounds positively cellular! Maybe Genentech is a better choice; they will be real big suddenly when the Dems take back the congress big-time and we can sell T-SACC cell phones with TSACC cells on the brand! Sorry, i have always wanted to apply anthro to advertising...pray they do not hire me.

        kent morris <km52@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Johnson, Ellen C. K.
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 27, 2008
          I do so enjoy the humor of my colleagues, Bob Muckle, Phil Stein, Mark
          Lewine, etc. I sit here, as I have been doing at least 3-4 afternoons a
          week for some weeks now, clearing out my office of 21 years worth of
          books, teaching and conference materials, and PAPER! Every crannie had
          been filled. Most of it will just have to be carried out in boxes and
          sorted later. Your smiling commentary lifts my spirits.

          Your newly-retired colleague (though I will teach one course in the fall
          and one in the spring),

          Ellen Johnson

          ________________________________

          http://www.eset.com <http://www.eset.com>

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 27, 2008
            Golly gee, some of you Prius people get better gas mileage than my
            Honda Goldwing motorcycle, even when I don't exceed speed limits.

            I bought a new car this year and seriously considered a Prius. With
            the help of Consumer Reports, I researched and compared it with a
            Honda Civic (non-hybrid). With the government hybrid rebate I would
            have done okay, but it was no longer available. So, factoring in
            initial costs and gas mileage averages among other things over a 5-
            year period, the Prius would have cost me about a thousand dollars
            more. Consequently, I replaced my beloved 2000 Honda Civic EX coup
            with a 2008 Honda Civic EX coup. It averages about 35 mpg mixed
            driving if I don't exceed speed limits. Incidentally, I've found that
            staying below 70 mph saves considerable mileage in both the bike and
            car.

            So Bob, I stand with you against any impeachment proceedings that
            might be initiated. After all, not everyone can have a Prius, and
            wouldn't it be boring if we all did? Also, if SACC doesn't support
            diversity in its ranks, what organization could be expected to do so?

            And you can also count on me for several drinks at the next SACC
            meeting. I've never hung out with many real university professors, so
            I'm looking forward to the experience.

            LLoyd

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 28, 2008
              Can we create a hi-mileage caucus for Prius and motorcycle operators?
              Anybody commute by horse? <g>

              Ann Popplestone AAB, BA, MA

              CCC Metro TLC

              216-987-3584

              FAX:330-867-6375

              ________________________________

              Golly gee, some of you Prius people get better gas mileage than my
              Honda Goldwing motorcycle, even when I don't exceed speed limits.

              I bought a new car this year and seriously considered a Prius. With
              the help of Consumer Reports, I researched and compared it with a
              Honda Civic (non-hybrid). With the government hybrid rebate I would
              have done okay, but it was no longer available. So, factoring in
              initial costs and gas mileage averages among other things over a 5-
              year period, the Prius would have cost me about a thousand dollars
              more. Consequently, I replaced my beloved 2000 Honda Civic EX coup
              with a 2008 Honda Civic EX coup. It averages about 35 mpg mixed
              driving if I don't exceed speed limits. Incidentally, I've found that
              staying below 70 mph saves considerable mileage in both the bike and
              car.

              So Bob, I stand with you against any impeachment proceedings that
              might be initiated. After all, not everyone can have a Prius, and
              wouldn't it be boring if we all did? Also, if SACC doesn't support
              diversity in its ranks, what organization could be expected to do so?

              And you can also count on me for several drinks at the next SACC
              meeting. I've never hung out with many real university professors, so
              I'm looking forward to the experience.

              LLoyd

              On Jun 27, 2008, at 2:08 PM, Bob Muckle wrote:

              > With all this SACC-L gushing about the Toyota Prius, I started
              > feeling a little guilty, but not a lot. I got to thinking. First,
              > that I might be kicked out of SACC for driving a big old Suburban,
              > with the biggest engine that fits. But..I am trying to sell it. Not
              > nay takers. What a surprise. So, now I'm thinking I might just store
              > it. It might look good in a museum of the late 20th century. "In the
              > days when gas was cheaper than water." Besides I've got a pick-up
              > truck that I usually drive anyway. Now...before you start
              > impeachment proceedings to get me kicked out of SACC....the pick up
              > is a Toyota pick-up!
              >
              > So, now I'm thinking we can just buy wholly into the corporatization
              > of education in North America. Why not sell naming rights to SACC?
              > We can become T-SACC (Toyota-SACC).
              >
              > You're welcome.
              >
              > Bob

            • George Thomas
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 30, 2008
                Hey, this is entirely on the subject: choices, limitations, technology and modes of transportation in one's changing society. I'll bite:
                I'd acquire a Prius if they had a pickup truck model. I have lots of hauling to do involving things that don't go well in the back of a leather-upholstered sedan.
                My classic 1968 VW bug gets 28 mpg. This was standard economy and efficiency back when normal mileage ranged from 5 to 10 mpg. Admiring passers-by gush about my fuel savings, but I regularly point out that today's Cadillacs do better.
                Right now I'm shopping around among the smaller pickups -- Chevy Colorado, Ford Ranger, etc. My last pickup was a no-frills, tiny 1993 Toyota. (Yes, fuel-savers, applause and kudos will be accepted by my publicist). The tiny German "Smart Car," due on the market next year, is intriguing. You'll recognize one if you visualize a small pickup truck with the rear axle moved forward and the load bed torched off. It can also be described as a couch with wheels and a roof. Should compete with the Prius.
                But back to regular trucks, I once shared Bob's impression (mostly from folklore) that Toyotas are great on gas and last forever. Latest research into the Toyota Tacoma unearthed a professional auto mechanic who sold his because he was disappointed with the gas mileage on the new, enlarged Tacoma (under 20 mpg), and bought a Tundra. At least Tundra marketing doesn't claim it's a fuel-saver, he said.
                A prime example of energy savings motivated by revenge.
                The shopping, astonishing war-stories and research continue. Bicycle commuting would be great if I could manage to decrease my commutation distance below 60 mi. round trip. I thoroughly enjoyed 2 and a half years of bicycle commuting while in Germany, where they seem to have mastered the art of keeping jobs closer to home (4 or 5 miles).
                Next we will consider the ox cart.
                George

                Re: T-SACC
                Posted by: "Lloyd Miller" lloyd.miller@...
                Date: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:10 pm ((PDT))

                Golly gee, some of you Prius people get better gas mileage than my
                Honda Goldwing motorcycle, even when I don't exceed speed limits.

                I bought a new car this year and seriously considered a Prius. With
                the help of Consumer Reports, I researched and compared it with a
                Honda Civic (non-hybrid). With the government hybrid rebate I would
                have done okay, but it was no longer available. So, factoring in
                initial costs and gas mileage averages among other things over a 5-
                year period, the Prius would have cost me about a thousand dollars
                more. Consequently, I replaced my beloved 2000 Honda Civic EX coup
                with a 2008 Honda Civic EX coup. It averages about 35 mpg mixed
                driving if I don't exceed speed limits. Incidentally, I've found that

                staying below 70 mph saves considerable mileage in both the bike and
                car.

                So Bob, I stand with you against any impeachment proceedings that
                might be initiated. After all, not everyone can have a Prius, and
                wouldn't it be boring if we all did? Also, if SACC doesn't support
                diversity in its ranks, what organization could be expected to do so?

                And you can also count on me for several drinks at the next SACC
                meeting. I've never hung out with many real university professors, so

                I'm looking forward to the experience.

                LLoyd

                On Jun 27, 2008, at 2:08 PM, Bob Muckle wrote:

                > With all this SACC-L gushing about the Toyota Prius, I started
                > feeling a little guilty, but not a lot. I got to thinking. First,
                > that I might be kicked out of SACC for driving a big old Suburban,
                > with the biggest engine that fits. But..I am trying to sell it. Not
                > nay takers. What a surprise. So, now I'm thinking I might just store

                > it. It might look good in a museum of the late 20th century. "In the

                > days when gas was cheaper than water." Besides I've got a pick-up
                > truck that I usually drive anyway. Now...before you start
                > impeachment proceedings to get me kicked out of SACC....the pick up
                > is a Toyota pick-up!
                >
                > So, now I'm thinking we can just buy wholly into the corporatization

                > of education in North America. Why not sell naming rights to SACC?
                > We can become T-SACC (Toyota-SACC).
                >
                > You're welcome.
                >
                > Bob

              • rob edwards
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 1, 2008
                  Hi all, I have enjoyed this discussion on vehicles, the adventures of
                  Muckle and all. George, I would like to recommend that you look at a
                  Honda Element as a vehicle that can haul a lot in a small space (42 file
                  boxes in the back with seats out and still have rear visability) and
                  even pull a small trailer. I have had one for over four years and am
                  very satisfied. Mileage is around 20 mile/gal depending on your speed.
                  Very easy to clean the "box".
                  I finished my last field class (survey) last week and I am now
                  officially retired although committed to assist our new hire, Dustin
                  McKenzie as he jumps in next week to the field excavation class. My
                  email remains the same but my Cabrillo phone will be 831-479-6727. And
                  Yes Bob, I will also be glad to contribute to your alcohol problem. See
                  you in AZ. Julie says hi also.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 5, 2008

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 5, 2008
                      Yes, with my urban cultures class, we are exploring social marketing with an anthropological perspective...so far, we have come up with some scary ideas to test with some ethnographic focus groups: power point presentations with 'branded' symbols relating to educational consumers; text books partly subsidized by ads thus lowering book costs to students and increasing fees to published faculty authors...faculty wearing identifiable 'brands', using identifiable 'brands' of computers, publishers, news sources, book stores, office supplies stores, etc...anything to add, capitalist pigs of the future?

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 6, 2008
                        N-SACC? (Nissan-SACC?)
                        I do so enjoy these fun emails.
                        Ellen Johnson

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 6, 2008
                          Oh gosh, around Des Moines some public buildings now have 'brand'
                          names. The baseball stadium, once named to honor a beloved player, is
                          now named for a leading local insurance company. Two recently built
                          "civic" sports and entertainment centers are named, respectively, for
                          a state grocery chain and the Wells Fargo bank. It's very Orwellian...
                          Lloyd

                          On Dec 5, 2008, at 11:33 PM, Mark Lewine wrote:

                          > Yes, with my urban cultures class, we are exploring social marketing
                          > with an anthropological perspective...so far, we have come up with
                          > some scary ideas to test with some ethnographic focus groups: power
                          > point presentations with 'branded' symbols relating to educational
                          > consumers; text books partly subsidized by ads thus lowering book
                          > costs to students and increasing fees to published faculty
                          > authors...faculty wearing identifiable 'brands', using identifiable
                          > 'brands' of computers, publishers, news sources, book stores, office
                          > supplies stores, etc...anything to add, capitalist pigs of the future?

                        • Andrew J Petto
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 6, 2008
                            You may be joking, but a math teacher in San Diego responded to budget cuts that limited his access to photocopying and paper by selling ads on his exams. It was on the CBC's As-It-Happens earlier this week!

                            Anj

                            ------------
                            Andrew J Petto, PhD
                            Senior Lecturer
                            Department of Biological Sciences
                            University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                            PO Box 413
                            Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                            414-229-6784
                            FAX: 414-229-3926
                            http://www.uwm.edu/~ajpetto

                            *************
                            http://www.uwm.edu/~ajpetto/scc2.htm
                            *************

                            -- Pat Conroy
                            The Prince of Tides

                            With all this SACC-L gushing about the Toyota Prius, I started feeling a little guilty, but not a lot. I got to thinking. First, that I might be kicked out of SACC for driving a big old Suburban, with the biggest engine that fits. But..I am trying to sell it. Not nay takers. What a surprise. So, now I'm thinking I might just store it. It might look good in a museum of the late 20th century. "In the days when gas was cheaper than water." Besides I've got a pick-up truck that I usually drive anyway. Now...before you start impeachment proceedings to get me kicked out of SACC....the pick up is a Toyota pick-up!

                            So, now I'm thinking we can just buy wholly into the corporatization of education in North America. Why not sell naming rights to SACC? We can become T-SACC (Toyota-SACC).

                            You're welcome.

                          • frank lagana
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 6, 2008
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 6, 2008
                                I'm afraid we are already on the way down this very slippery slope. It makes me so uncomortable.

                                I haven't seen anything like this in anthropology, but just last week a geography colleague of mine was showing me a textbook he was thinking of using. I forget the exact title but it was published by National Geographic, in partnership, I think with Wiley. I was skimming through it, which was almost all photos, and was astounded with what appears to be advertising by National Geographic in the form of their logo featured very prominently underneath the photos. I know that National Geographic has been publishing atlases and books for K-12 for some time, but wasn't aware they were infiltrating the college and university textbook market.

                                And to add to your list....how about teaching in building or classrooms with the names of corporate sponsors on them? That makes me pretty uncomfortable.

                                Its interesting to think about where our own personal lines might be. I wonder, for example, what if Porshe, became the official car of Capilano and facuty were each given one to drive.

                                If anybody is interested, my GMC Suburban is still for sale. I'm advertising it now as a big red lawn ornament. It might make a nice Christmas decoration.

                                Bob

                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 6, 2008
                                  Of course we've had endowed chairs for centuries. I can see it now: "Wal-Mart Professor of Anthropology." Anyway naming rights go cheap at my college, although we have an n of 1 at present. But if someone wants to give us $100K to buy some skulls, I'll gladly put a plaque up in the classroom. It's the least we can do!

                                  Phil

                                  I'm afraid we are already on the way down this very slippery slope. It makes me so uncomortable.

                                  I haven't seen anything like this in anthropology, but just last week a geography colleague of mine was showing me a textbook he was thinking of using. I forget the exact title but it was published by National Geographic, in partnership, I think with Wiley. I was skimming through it, which was almost all photos, and was astounded with what appears to be advertising by National Geographic in the form of their logo featured very prominently underneath the photos. I know that National Geographic has been publishing atlases and books for K-12 for some time, but wasn't aware they were infiltrating the college and university textbook market.

                                  And to add to your list....how about teaching in building or classrooms with the names of corporate sponsors on them? That makes me pretty uncomfortable.

                                  Its interesting to think about where our own personal lines might be. I wonder, for example, what if Porshe, became the official car of Capilano and facuty were each given one to drive.

                                  If anybody is interested, my GMC Suburban is still for sale. I'm advertising it now as a big red lawn ornament. It might make a nice Christmas decoration.

                                  Bob

                                  >>> "Mark Lewine" <mlewine@wowway. com> 12/05/08 9:33 PM >>>
                                  Yes, with my urban cultures class, we are exploring social marketing with an anthropological perspective. ..so far, we have come up with some scary ideas to test with some ethnographic focus groups: power point presentations with 'branded' symbols relating to educational consumers; text books partly subsidized by ads thus lowering book costs to students and increasing fees to published faculty authors...faculty wearing identifiable 'brands', using identifiable 'brands' of computers, publishers, news sources, book stores, office supplies stores, etc...anything to add, capitalist pigs of the future?

                                  With all this SACC-L gushing about the Toyota Prius, I started feeling a little guilty, but not a lot. I got to thinking. First, that I might be kicked out of SACC for driving a big old Suburban, with the biggest engine that fits. But..I am trying to sell it. Not nay takers. What a surprise. So, now I'm thinking I might just store it. It might look good in a museum of the late 20th century. "In the days when gas was cheaper than water." Besides I've got a pick-up truck that I usually drive anyway. Now...before you start impeachment proceedings to get me kicked out of SACC....the pick up is a Toyota pick-up!

                                  So, now I'm thinking we can just buy wholly into the corporatization of education in North America. Why not sell naming rights to SACC? We can become T-SACC (Toyota-SACC) .

                                  You're welcome.

                                  Checked by AVG.

                                • mep1mep
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 6, 2008
                                    I am holding out for the Anthropologie Professor of Anthropology

                                    A person has to have their standards, after all.

                                    Pam

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 8, 2008
                                      Remember "Enron Stadium"? Wonder what will happen as some of these
                                      companies "tank"?