Re: new publisher for Archaeology texts

  • sunny_hvar
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 24, 2008
      Mel -- I might be interested in your text. We have a full-fledged
      Geography Dept. here, and they are looking to do new, interesting
      things. They recently started a Medical Geography class, which has
      gone well. ALSO, the topic sounds like it might be vaguely
      appropriate for one of our popular Anthro classes, Exploring Non-
      Western Cultures, which focuses on economy/ecology as an inroad to
      examining different sorts of traditional adaptations.

      SO, keep us posted!

      Mary Kay
    • Melvin Johnson
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 25, 2008
        Mary Kay--Are they looking for new geography instructors, I may be in need of a job
        come Aug/Sep of 09? Mel

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 26, 2008
            Bob,

            It's hard to keep track of who owns what publishing company these days, or even who your editor it. Who knows, your next publisher might be Action Comics. (Say, I'd like that!)

            Phil

            Bob Muckle <bmuckle@...> wrote:
            I feel like I am in Alfred Hitchcock movie. An ordinary guy with strange, unwanted things happening around him.

            I never applied to be a university professor but now am one anyway.

            I never wanted my archaeology textbooks to be published by a university press, but now they are anyway.
            Broadview Press has sold their anthropology list to the University of Toronto Press (UTP). So, if anybody is interested in 'Introducing Archaeology' and 'Reading Archaeology' you have to now get them through UTP. the web site is www.utphighereducation.com

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 27, 2008
                Ok I chimed in on the Prius thing w/ Laura, but now i'll join the lot of you..we got ours 2 yrs ago, my B-in-law has a 3 plus yr old, & S=in-law a 7 yr old still going strong.

                On a different note 1 of my neifhbors has this cool looking bug-green Chinese electric thing. We often commute to Pima CC side by side. Another neighbor only drives agolf cart -0 everywhere! No freeways tho...

                Mary k

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 16, 2008
                  Dear all--my apologies for any delayed replies to your emails. Life is unbelievably
                  hectic. I will be getting not one, not two, but three new offices beginning next
                  week. So you see immediately the complications. I just love university politics. I
                  must summarize for you because, it really is too funny not to share.

                  Beginning in the fall of 2001, Geography and Anthropology departments merged (got
                  married). What follows are the events immediately leading up to and after the
                  splitting (divorce) of the department which just occurred. It sounds so much like
                  what happens to two people to decide that this marriage is not worth the effort.

                  September 2007--The chair of Anthropology and Geography (a geographer) announces his
                  resignation. (I AM UNHAPPY)
                  October 2007--The other geography professors (only tenured types) announce their
                  desire to sever all relations, affiliations, etc. with the anthropology faculty, so
                  begin the process of negotiation for the gathering of all geographers at UNL in a
                  central location, funded by three colleges and grants, governered by three deans
                  (that's funny just in itself), but most important and I quote "no crazy irrational and
                  bigoted anthropologists." (I WANT A DIVORCE)
                  November 2007-January 2008--deans negotiate, chancellor says you will do this, deans
                  then say okay, and begin the process of taking inventory. (THE COURT SAYS OKAY)
                  February 2008--deans negotiate the splitting of personnel (mostly administrative types)
                  and equipment (LAWYERS NEGOTIATE THE SPOILS)
                  March 2008--April 2008--formal announcement that the department is split effective
                  August 15th. Election or rather forcing one of the geographers to become
                  chair of the "faculty" no department here, just faculty. (WE NOW ARE DIVORCED)
                  May 2008--School of Natural Resources extends, somewhat forcefully, an invitation to
                  move to their location on East Campus and bring the classes (most over 150 students)
                  also--we can party. (A NEW RELATIONSHIP BEGINS)
                  June 2008--no thank you to the invitation to move this summer and definitely no thank
                  you to moving the classes (I WANT TO KEEP MY OWN PLACE, I AM NOT COMPLETELY READY FOR
                  A COMMITMENT NOW)
                  Later in June 2008--yes you will move the faculty, adjuncts, and graduate students to
                  East Campus, you can just forget about staying on city campus--are you sure you do not
                  want to move the classes to east campus (YOU HAVE NO CHOICE, YOU PROMISED, ARE YOU
                  SURE YOU ARE NOT READY FOR A COMMITMENT)
                  Later in June 2008--Okay we move to East Campus in two waves--faculty and adjuncts in
                  July, graduate students in August. NO THANK YOU about moving the classes, we will
                  lose enrollment this year and that translates into lost income for the college of arts
                  and science who pays for the faculty, adjuncts, and graduate students moving from city
                  campus to east campus. (OKAY, I WILL MOVE IN, BUT NO MARRIAGE)
                  July 2008--Okay, we are happy that you finally see the benefits of moving the faculty,
                  adjuncts, and graduate students. We can now be one happy family. Now, since you have
                  only promised but not given written confirmation to the class assignments, can we have
                  the adjuncts and GTAs teach other classes or no classes thus relieving and financial
                  strain to the Arts and Science budget. NO WAY!!!! THANK YOU FOR THE SUGGESTION, BUT
                  ITS FULL OF HOLES AND LOTS OF SHIT (NOW BEGINS THE FUN) (MAYBE I MADE A MISTAKE, THIS
                  NEW RELATIONSHIP IS GETTING SCARY, AARGH!!)
                  July 2008 (as of today)--What fun we are moving from spacious quarters to closets in
                  the new facility that the School of Natural Resources occupies which they think is
                  absolutely fabulous (their heads are in the dirt all the time, so what can you say).
                  The facility is a renovated hotel. The faculty gets what were very small bedrooms of
                  the hotel accommodations. The adjuncts, of which I am, get to share (2 of us) what
                  was the bathroom of the hotel accommodations, oh joy. Now for those of us with classes
                  on city campus, we also have two offices on city campus to share for office hours.
                  (SEPARATE BUT EQUAL, HMMM IS THIS REALLY GOING TO WORK)

                  Well, in the meantime--the day that I found out we were moving, no ifs ands or buts, I
                  was offered a private office at Nebraska Wesleyan University in which to write my
                  dissertation. All I have to do is teach one accounting class during the 13 month
                  period and I get a substantial office, a new computer, paper and ink to write the
                  dissertation. Needless to say, I took the offer. (I BETTER OFF THAN YOU ARE, TEE HEE)

                  Now I have just divided my stuff between NWU, UNL 1 and UNL 2, and home. Needless to
                  say, I am a bit frazzled, and at times confused, just where the HELL is my textbook
                  for the course I am teaching today.

                  Gotta love academe, everyone has such a unique understanding of the world, and
                  consequently a different type or form of logic (I am not sure that is the right word,
                  but the other words that come to mind are not repeatable in a public forum as this.)
                  But my anthropological training allows me to observe, participate, and reflect on this
                  insanity, right!?!?!

                  HOPE YOU ENJOYED MY TIRADE, HAVE A GREAT DAY, AND THANKS FOR LISTENING. ALL IS
                  BETTER, LIFE IS GOOD AND SOON I GO TO MY NICE HOME, MY WONDERFUL WIFE, AND A PEACEFUL
                  LIFE ON THE FARM.

                  Mel Johnson
                  SACC Treasurer at least until 12-09

                  ------- End of Original Message -------
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 16, 2008
                    Oh my gosh, Mel! Whatever you think you're apologizing for, you're
                    forgiven! I think your analogy to the marriage-divorce thing is
                    brilliant. Would you at all consider preparing this for the next
                    issue of SACC Notes? It would make a great article.
                    Lloyd

                  • Philip Stein

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 16, 2008
                        Mel, I had to read every word even though I have a report to finish. As
                        Lloyd said, your analogy is brilliant. Might make a good SACC Notes
                        article. Make sure you have needed texts in each of your three offices
                        and we'll all feel better. Now, please, consider getting yourself a
                        message. Ann

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 16, 2008
                          I agree with Ann -- this is an article, Mel, and a very amusing one at that (SACC Notes maybe?) How about a paper for our conference???

                          Mary Kay Gilliland
                          Pima Community College, West Campus
                          206-6763

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 16, 2008
                            Mel

                            Don't worry about delayed replies. It sounds as if you have been going through a hellish meat-grinder. Best of luck in keeping sane under those circumstances. Your department gives new meaning to the term, "dysfunctional". Your post was brilliant.

                            My thoughts and prayers are with you.

                            Chuck ><>
                            Charles O. Ellenbaum
                            707 Shady Avenue
                            Geneva, IL 60134
                            Cell: 630-404-1261
                            <ellenbaumbridge@...>
                            "When beholding the beauty of the ocean skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it."
                            Herman Melville