new publisher for Archaeology texts

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
      I feel like I am in Alfred Hitchcock movie. An ordinary guy with strange, unwanted things happening around him.

      I never applied to be a university professor but now am one anyway.

      I never wanted my archaeology textbooks to be published by a university press, but now they are anyway.
      Broadview Press has sold their anthropology list to the University of Toronto Press (UTP). So, if anybody is interested in 'Introducing Archaeology' and 'Reading Archaeology' you have to now get them through UTP. the web site is www.utphighereducation.com

      Bob
    • sunny_hvar
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
        I think my Subject line says it all!
        Best wishes,
        Mary Kay "Still at a Community College" Gilliland
        Pima CC

        --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Muckle" <bmuckle@...> wrote:

        > I feel like I am in Alfred Hitchcock movie. An ordinary guy with
        strange, unwanted things happening around him.

        > I never applied to be a university professor but now am one anyway.
        >
        > I never wanted my archaeology textbooks to be published by a
        university press, but now they are anyway.
        > Broadview Press has sold their anthropology list to the University
        of Toronto Press (UTP). So, if anybody is interested in 'Introducing
        Archaeology' and 'Reading Archaeology' you have to now get them
        through UTP. the web site is www.utphighereducation.com

        > Bob

      • sunny_hvar
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
          All:

          Start planning for SACC-fest 2009, in Tucson, Arizona.

          The dates are Wednesday April 8 thru Sunday April 12 -- at present
          the "fest" papers and activities will be roughly:

          Registration/Reception, Wednesday late afternoon/evening
          Papers Thursday
          Papers Friday
          "Field Trip" Saturday

          We will likely break off papers somewhat early on both days for
          small events, and the Field Trip day may be Friday, instead of
          Saturday (resuming papers Saturday) depending on our Tohono O'odham
          neighbors, and when we can spend time at the San Xavier Mission
          (Historic Preservation, O'odham & Colonial Museum), and nearby (new)
          O'odham Cultural Center.

          We have a lot of GREAT stuff in the works, but are just in the final
          throes of nailing down a contract for the dates at the Marriott
          University Park, with great food nearby, across the street from the
          AZ Historical Society Museum, and a short 2 blocks to the AZ State
          Anthropology/Archaeology Museum on the U of AZ Campus.
          (Note to Bob Muckle: Watch out - the University may snap you up,
          the way things are going at present in your life!)

          Hotel rate looks like it will be $139. per night double/single, with
          an extra $15.00 charge for a rollaway if anyone wants to turn it
          into a triple (students, families).

          We'll have some rooms set aside for early arrivals or late stays.
          It's a gorgeous time of year in Arizona, not yet hot, but nicely
          warm, wildflowers, cactus blossoms, lots to see and do. Pencil in
          your calendars!

          Watch for more information as we finalize our plans...

          Mary Kay Gilliland
          Co-President Elect
        • Laura Gonzalez
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
            Mary Kay -

            Sounds great! I vote for lots of field trip time!!

            Laura (just back from a wonderful family trip to Vancouver and Alaska. you
            all *must* see glaciers if you have not yet done so)

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 24, 2008
              Dear Bob and all, I understand what you mean. Two weeks ago I found out that our
              department's divorce (Anthropology and Geography) was final and Geography, of which I
              am, is moving out to a remote campus while keeping our classes on the main campus.
              Ugh--then 3 hours later, the Chair of Nebraska Wesleyan offered me an office, with
              computer, paper and printer ink to write my dissertation and book plus a modest
              stipend, and I mean modest, to teach one accounting class this fall. I get the office
              etc., for a year, so I took it. Now I will be mainly teaching for UNL with a shared
              office, no computer, etc., and writing the dissertation at another. I have to move by
              the 17th, and then I will find out what my new addresses are and new telephone numbers
              also. Ah the life of an academe. At least we haven't moved our residence, somethings
              need to stay stable.

              BTW the book I am writing is a textbook which none of you will ever want to use, its
              for Economic Geography.

              Mel Johnson

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 24, 2008
                Mel -- I might be interested in your text. We have a full-fledged
                Geography Dept. here, and they are looking to do new, interesting
                things. They recently started a Medical Geography class, which has
                gone well. ALSO, the topic sounds like it might be vaguely
                appropriate for one of our popular Anthro classes, Exploring Non-
                Western Cultures, which focuses on economy/ecology as an inroad to
                examining different sorts of traditional adaptations.

                SO, keep us posted!

                Mary Kay
              • Melvin Johnson
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 25, 2008
                  Mary Kay--Are they looking for new geography instructors, I may be in need of a job
                  come Aug/Sep of 09? Mel

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 27, 2008
                          Ok I chimed in on the Prius thing w/ Laura, but now i'll join the lot of you..we got ours 2 yrs ago, my B-in-law has a 3 plus yr old, & S=in-law a 7 yr old still going strong.

                          On a different note 1 of my neifhbors has this cool looking bug-green Chinese electric thing. We often commute to Pima CC side by side. Another neighbor only drives agolf cart -0 everywhere! No freeways tho...

                          Mary k

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 16, 2008
                            Dear all--my apologies for any delayed replies to your emails. Life is unbelievably
                            hectic. I will be getting not one, not two, but three new offices beginning next
                            week. So you see immediately the complications. I just love university politics. I
                            must summarize for you because, it really is too funny not to share.

                            Beginning in the fall of 2001, Geography and Anthropology departments merged (got
                            married). What follows are the events immediately leading up to and after the
                            splitting (divorce) of the department which just occurred. It sounds so much like
                            what happens to two people to decide that this marriage is not worth the effort.

                            September 2007--The chair of Anthropology and Geography (a geographer) announces his
                            resignation. (I AM UNHAPPY)
                            October 2007--The other geography professors (only tenured types) announce their
                            desire to sever all relations, affiliations, etc. with the anthropology faculty, so
                            begin the process of negotiation for the gathering of all geographers at UNL in a
                            central location, funded by three colleges and grants, governered by three deans
                            (that's funny just in itself), but most important and I quote "no crazy irrational and
                            bigoted anthropologists." (I WANT A DIVORCE)
                            November 2007-January 2008--deans negotiate, chancellor says you will do this, deans
                            then say okay, and begin the process of taking inventory. (THE COURT SAYS OKAY)
                            February 2008--deans negotiate the splitting of personnel (mostly administrative types)
                            and equipment (LAWYERS NEGOTIATE THE SPOILS)
                            March 2008--April 2008--formal announcement that the department is split effective
                            August 15th. Election or rather forcing one of the geographers to become
                            chair of the "faculty" no department here, just faculty. (WE NOW ARE DIVORCED)
                            May 2008--School of Natural Resources extends, somewhat forcefully, an invitation to
                            move to their location on East Campus and bring the classes (most over 150 students)
                            also--we can party. (A NEW RELATIONSHIP BEGINS)
                            June 2008--no thank you to the invitation to move this summer and definitely no thank
                            you to moving the classes (I WANT TO KEEP MY OWN PLACE, I AM NOT COMPLETELY READY FOR
                            A COMMITMENT NOW)
                            Later in June 2008--yes you will move the faculty, adjuncts, and graduate students to
                            East Campus, you can just forget about staying on city campus--are you sure you do not
                            want to move the classes to east campus (YOU HAVE NO CHOICE, YOU PROMISED, ARE YOU
                            SURE YOU ARE NOT READY FOR A COMMITMENT)
                            Later in June 2008--Okay we move to East Campus in two waves--faculty and adjuncts in
                            July, graduate students in August. NO THANK YOU about moving the classes, we will
                            lose enrollment this year and that translates into lost income for the college of arts
                            and science who pays for the faculty, adjuncts, and graduate students moving from city
                            campus to east campus. (OKAY, I WILL MOVE IN, BUT NO MARRIAGE)
                            July 2008--Okay, we are happy that you finally see the benefits of moving the faculty,
                            adjuncts, and graduate students. We can now be one happy family. Now, since you have
                            only promised but not given written confirmation to the class assignments, can we have
                            the adjuncts and GTAs teach other classes or no classes thus relieving and financial
                            strain to the Arts and Science budget. NO WAY!!!! THANK YOU FOR THE SUGGESTION, BUT
                            ITS FULL OF HOLES AND LOTS OF SHIT (NOW BEGINS THE FUN) (MAYBE I MADE A MISTAKE, THIS
                            NEW RELATIONSHIP IS GETTING SCARY, AARGH!!)
                            July 2008 (as of today)--What fun we are moving from spacious quarters to closets in
                            the new facility that the School of Natural Resources occupies which they think is
                            absolutely fabulous (their heads are in the dirt all the time, so what can you say).
                            The facility is a renovated hotel. The faculty gets what were very small bedrooms of
                            the hotel accommodations. The adjuncts, of which I am, get to share (2 of us) what
                            was the bathroom of the hotel accommodations, oh joy. Now for those of us with classes
                            on city campus, we also have two offices on city campus to share for office hours.
                            (SEPARATE BUT EQUAL, HMMM IS THIS REALLY GOING TO WORK)

                            Well, in the meantime--the day that I found out we were moving, no ifs ands or buts, I
                            was offered a private office at Nebraska Wesleyan University in which to write my
                            dissertation. All I have to do is teach one accounting class during the 13 month
                            period and I get a substantial office, a new computer, paper and ink to write the
                            dissertation. Needless to say, I took the offer. (I BETTER OFF THAN YOU ARE, TEE HEE)

                            Now I have just divided my stuff between NWU, UNL 1 and UNL 2, and home. Needless to
                            say, I am a bit frazzled, and at times confused, just where the HELL is my textbook
                            for the course I am teaching today.

                            Gotta love academe, everyone has such a unique understanding of the world, and
                            consequently a different type or form of logic (I am not sure that is the right word,
                            but the other words that come to mind are not repeatable in a public forum as this.)
                            But my anthropological training allows me to observe, participate, and reflect on this
                            insanity, right!?!?!

                            HOPE YOU ENJOYED MY TIRADE, HAVE A GREAT DAY, AND THANKS FOR LISTENING. ALL IS
                            BETTER, LIFE IS GOOD AND SOON I GO TO MY NICE HOME, MY WONDERFUL WIFE, AND A PEACEFUL
                            LIFE ON THE FARM.

                            Mel Johnson
                            SACC Treasurer at least until 12-09

                            ------- End of Original Message -------
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 16, 2008
                              Oh my gosh, Mel! Whatever you think you're apologizing for, you're
                              forgiven! I think your analogy to the marriage-divorce thing is
                              brilliant. Would you at all consider preparing this for the next
                              issue of SACC Notes? It would make a great article.
                              Lloyd

                            • Philip Stein

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 16, 2008
                                  Mel, I had to read every word even though I have a report to finish. As
                                  Lloyd said, your analogy is brilliant. Might make a good SACC Notes
                                  article. Make sure you have needed texts in each of your three offices
                                  and we'll all feel better. Now, please, consider getting yourself a
                                  message. Ann

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 16, 2008
                                    I agree with Ann -- this is an article, Mel, and a very amusing one at that (SACC Notes maybe?) How about a paper for our conference???

                                    Mary Kay Gilliland
                                    Pima Community College, West Campus
                                    206-6763

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 16, 2008
                                      Mel

                                      Don't worry about delayed replies. It sounds as if you have been going through a hellish meat-grinder. Best of luck in keeping sane under those circumstances. Your department gives new meaning to the term, "dysfunctional". Your post was brilliant.

                                      My thoughts and prayers are with you.

                                      Chuck ><>
                                      Charles O. Ellenbaum
                                      707 Shady Avenue
                                      Geneva, IL 60134
                                      Cell: 630-404-1261
                                      <ellenbaumbridge@...>
                                      "When beholding the beauty of the ocean skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it."
                                      Herman Melville