Flooding question

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 14, 2008
      Lloyd are you out there?

      How are things going?

      Ann Popplestone AAB, BA, MA

      CCC Metro TLC

      216-987-3584

      FAX:330-867-6375

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 14, 2008
        Ann and others of you who have inquired, thanks for your concern.

        We're fine. Our house is far enough away from the river and high
        enough that we're not threatened by the flooding. We've had water
        that has seeped in and partially flooded the basement from the over-
        saturated ground, but the drain in our attached garage continues to
        work so we can keep up.

        However, the flooding in downtown Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City
        and many other smaller communities in unimaginable. Even the TV
        video footage doesn't do justice to seeing it in person. In Cedar
        Rapids they've mandatorily evacuated 25,000 people (to where, I have
        no idea). The flooding there encompasses an area of 438 square
        blocks. In Iowa City, the U. of Iowa has cancelled classes for a
        whole week and has engaged students, faculty and other volunteers in
        trying to save portions of the Univ. hospital, clinics, library and
        the building that houses the philosophy and some other departments.
        Some patients and operations have been moved´┐Żto where, I again have
        no idea. Here's a notice from the Great Ape Trust: "Floodwaters from
        the Des Moines River left most of Great Ape Trust of Iowa's southeast
        Des Moines campus under water. Non-essential personnel evacuated the
        campus, but the bonobos and orangutans are safe and dry."

        Downtown and nearby areas of Des Moines are completely flooded
        (travel by boat only) but evacuations have so far been voluntary.
        The DM River crested near downtown last night and broke through a
        sandbagged levy at 4:00 am today. The cresting is expected to hold
        steady for several days before beginning to back off. Good news is
        that the forecast is for no more than a half-inch of rain during the
        next 24 hours and then five or more days of clear, rainless sunshine
        and comfortable temperatures. I can't tell you how welcome that is!

        If any of you are interested, you can go to the website of a local TV
        station, KCCI.com, and see photos and video footage.

        Lloyd Miller

      • anthropmor@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 15, 2008
          Thanks, Lloyd!
          Mike Pavlik

          2008. (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16, 2008
            Glad to hear of your safety, Lloyd, my nieces at Indiana U. got stuck for a while...how is Dennis in his location??

            Mark Lewine

[...]

            Some patients and operations have been moved-to where, I again have

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 17, 2008
              Mark, thanks for your wishes. Sorry to hear about your nieces; hope
              they're okay now. I haven't been in touch with Dennis lately. I'll
              give him a call or send an email. We're having some great weather
              now, worthy of San Diego at its best, with more forecast, so the
              basement and garage are nearly dry. We feel very lucky, considering...
              Lloyd