RE: [SACC-L] FW: 2008-09 AAA Guide - FREE LISTING

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 23, 2008
      More from Jona, "there is no minimum amount of information that needs to be added. Actually the more they participate, the easier it is for us to gather information on anthropology in Community Colleges."

      We have been trying for some time to gather statistics on comm. colleges. Getting your college to participate would be a great help in that goal. Ann

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 23, 2008
        When I came to Anoka-Ramsey Community College, two anthro courses were taught (cultural and physical) by one of the sociology faculty. He then retired. Since then, I've added environmental anthropology and archaeology. I have to take a look at the guide myself to see how the listings appear. (Our library did buy it last year.) We have no lab facility although we own some primate and hominid skulls which I show to students. All that stuff is crammed with me into my office cubicle (that's my storage)! I tell my students that if they are interested in volunteering on a dig, at a zoo, or at a museum, or going to fieldschool, I will help them find suitable opportunities. I expect that I will list our four courses in the guide and note that we offer each of them in the classroom and online.

        Deborah

        Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
        Anthropology
        Anoka-Ramsey Community College
        Coon Rapids Campus
        deborah.shepherd@...
        http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/shepherd/
        http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/sacc
        phone number: 763-433-1195

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 23, 2008
          Sydney, we started out many years ago with similar limitations. Collaboration with other colleagues in our college worked for lab sharing…I now have lab space in our biology area, but at first, I found space in our Phys. Ed. Department in an area with a sink for our archaeology lab. We built student support with a “Cultures Club” that would meet to share food and talk in a section of the cafeteria. We started doing archaeology with a small local grant to do a land-use history of land purchased by the college for future use in collaboration with our History faculty…now we are developing an interdisciplinary field school with Urban Studies to do community-linked research projects with students in a wide variety of fields using ethnography, oral history, archival research, GIS applied geography/ecology, historical archaeology. In this new digital age, one can ‘build’ digital labs with a lot of good materials from web sites.

          I am going to try and develop a presentation and short paper on “Building an anthropology program in a community college when I retire next year and place it in the Anthropology Education Committee’s digital web site

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 23, 2008
            This sounds wonderful, Mark, though I did know you had a lot of stuff going on at Tri-C. Something to think about. Being the only anthropologist, like Sydney, these days I get overwhelmed just managing the huge classes, fighting our D2L software for online teaching (oh, for the days we had WebCT), and doing all the committee work that needs doing. Oh, yes, I shouldn't forget--I'm finishing up a book manuscript for the Greenwood Daily Life series. ;-)

            I'll look forward to your presentation and paper.