RE: [SACC-L] Fwd: Re: shared spring air: from an anthro web class

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 14, 2008
      I remember reading Hofstaeder (sp?) on "Anti-Intellectualism in America" and being very impressed with it. As a youngster I found it very strange that so many adults criticized Adlai Stevenson for being smarter than most...in my ethnic group, being smart was still a plus, though bragging about it would get you in trouble. Over the years, I observed that American value for pragmatism and superficially rugged individualism was a strong and persistent theme in our culture. We seem to demand of our leaders decisiveness, clarity, short-term solutions, action, individual responsibility of the leader for the group, all playing into a fantasy kind of cowboy-soldier-toughguy leader. I feel sorry for Hillary trying to play this role, and remember so many good leaders like Ed Muskie, Dukakis, Kerry, now Obama who have a problem when they try complexity or nuance rather than cliches. Political leaders are taught to use imagery in phrases designed to work in bars across America filled with people worried about real economic issues yet wanting to 'trust' a strong leader who is sure he or she can "do the job" for us. Again, all of this reminds me of why I became a cultural anthropologist...fieldwork anywhere else please.

      Mark Lewine

      Date: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:34 am ((PDT))

      Thanks for sharing this, Mark. It was nice to hear it from a former
      anthropology student.

      However, I couldn't help but notice some similarities with what
      Barack Obama said in PA recently and for which he's been roundly
      criticized by his opponents as being elitist and out of touch with
      ordinary folks. When I first heard it, I felt that though it was
      impolitic for him to say what he did, it was the truth. Having been
      a "warehouse worker and machinist," your student has credibility in
      making these observations. Obama also has some street creds, albeit
      somewhat upstaged by his also being a law professor and senator. I
      hope (if he makes it to the general election) that voters don't
      punish him for this.

    • anthropmor@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 14, 2008
        I hope that Obama won't be punished for this, either.
        I am not quite sure how elitist, honest, and outspoken all became
        equivalent...and negative. I really think it is an excuse for people who don't like
        him to accuse him of being uppity. Yeah, an uppity -
        Mike Pavlik

        Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)