Re: FW:

  • Ann Kaupp
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2000
      What a romantic you are! I could use some upgrading too!

      From: Tbbyrnehom@...

      Hi Ann, I'm going off line for afew days for an upgrade next week. If I

      bounce i will be back later. Bill Byrne SACC VP

      Body Paint, Chocolates, & Roses Oh My.

      Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.ccanthro.org for meeting
      materials, newsletters, etc.
    • Deborah
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 21, 2003
        Mark
        I do not know what this is.  I thought this was a group that discussed teaching in the Community College.
        Deborah

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 22, 2003

          Two reasons that I sent this along, in answer to your question:

          1. I thought that the writer’s point was a very powerful use of cultural relativity applied to current issues.  I not only planned to use it in my classes, but thought it was good enough to share.  Horace Miner’s look at the Nacirema is getting dated, don’t you think?
          2. Most of us in community colleges are not prone to work or think in limited specialized niches; it is in university departments that we get that kind of value for and practice of specialization-even to a particularly dominant field of anthropology.  Most of us teach course in sociology, urban studies, and tend to apply anthropology to the world of work, of community, of world events.  In fact, many of my students face being called up or having a family member called up to the military and need to engage these issues.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 22, 2003
            Thank you
            Deborah

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 16, 2005