Kinship and Fertility

  • Fulara, Elise
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17 2:51 PM
      Hi all,

      I caught this article in The Economist about a moth back and it made my eyebrow shoot up. Thought I'd share.

      It seems that a genetic study has found that there is a strong relationship between kinship and fertility. In the study referenced in the article, one researcher calculated that "...the optimum degree of outbreeding (measured in terms of the number of children and grandchildren produced) lay somewhere between cousins of the third and fourth degree."

      From what I understand, 3rd-degree cousins aren't parallel cousins, but it makes me wonder if this phenomena might have contributed to the development of cousin marriage practices.

      Article: http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10640683&CFID=13160582&CFTOKEN=dde267669c8434a0-BEA76993-B27C-BB00-012BE58D6057809D

      More on cousin degrees: http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/arts/anthropology/tutor/descent/cognatic/collateral.html#cousins

      Happy conference to those in DC!
      Elise

      ---
      Elise A. Fulara
      Anthropology Instructor, College of DuPage
      voicemail: 630/942-2800 x 57617
      e-mail: fulara@...

    • anthropmor@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 20 6:47 AM
        In a message dated 3/17/2008 4:55:30 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
        fulara@... writes:

        It seems that a genetic study has found that there is a strong relationship
        between kinship and fertility. In the study referenced in the article, one
        researcher calculated that "...the optimum degree of outbreeding (measured in
        terms of the number of children and grandchildren produced) lay somewhere
        between cousins of the third and fourth degree."

        There is also the matter of geographic propinquity - which I think is
        underestimated.
        Interesting though.
        Mike Pavlik

        Home.