FW: Online Video about technology in the classroom

  • Dianne Chidester
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2008
      I would love to hear what folks have to say about this video.

      Cheers!

      Dianne

      This video is 5 minutes of your time, well spent...

      Just click the link and press play.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGCJ46vyR9o

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12, 2008
        I'm a little surprised that this hasn't garnered more SACC interest. I
        am in the process of putting together a section of Peoples and Cultures
        involving observation of YouTube groups.

        I think that the video is interesting in a variety of ways:

        1. It reminds us what the "average" student thinks about and how
        they see the world. Those of us who went on to grad school weren't
        average. And our Community College students are "non-traditional,"
        remember?

        2. It brings up a lot of issues about how information is processed,
        stored etc in places with different technology. We are all aware of
        the differences between non-literate and literate societies. There are
        also differences between societies where 3% of the population can read
        and they all work for the king; and those where the printing press makes
        printed matter widely available; and those where there is so much
        writing that we have to filter out some of it in order to not drive into
        walls.

        3. A lot of our writing rules/customs/habits came about because of
        technological constraints. Cases in point: the QWERTY keyboard was
        developed to keep the blades on typewriters from jamming. Also: Look
        where I typed "non-traditional," above. In that sentence, it would have
        made more sense to put the comma outside the quotation marks, but
        physical constraints of moveable type caused the grammatical rule to
        require the comma on the inside.

        The technological constraints are wider and certainly different now.
        They will have an impact on communication. I tend to think that the
        size of a Palm Pilot screen will have to be considered in a lot of
        situations.

        One real difference will be that communication devices and systems are
        being deliberately designed as opposed to evolving due to diffusion etc.
        Correct me if I am mistaken: the only two writing systems that were
        deliberately invented were Korean Hangul and Handsome Lake's script.

        Anybody have any other thought?

        Ann Popplestone AAB, BA, MA

        CCC Metro TLC

        216-987-3584

        FAX:330-867-6375

        ________________________________

        I would love to hear what folks have to say about this video.

        Cheers!

        Dianne

        This video is 5 minutes of your time, well spent...

        Just click the link and press play.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGCJ46vyR9o
        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGCJ46vyR9o>

        reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. To the best
        of our ability and knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is
        free of viruses and malware.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 13, 2008
            Poke around this web site http://mediatedcultures.net/ksudigg/

            Michael Wesch http://mediatedcultures.net/ksudigg/?author=1 is the